Fuel in northern Scandinavia

Guest malc

I've been reading various accounts of readers travels in northern parts,to Nordkapp etc, but they rarely mention the availability of fuel. Does that mean there are plenty of filling stations in the north of Sweden and Norway and therefore supplies are not an issue ? I would have assumed they are few and far between but is that true ? Do I need to carry 'extra' supplies. I've read through the Lonely Planet guide ( they are usually quite informative ) but I can't even find the Scandinavian word for 'diesel ' in there ! Can any of you intrepid motorhomers advise. Thanks

Guest Graham
Fuel stations are not that frequent particularly off the E roads. 20 odd years ago I spent a large part of 7 winters working in the middle of Sweden. Very nearly ran out of fuel in a car one night when it was about -35C which would have been no fun out in the sticks. It taught me to regard to refuel at half empty keeping the rest in reserve and we have followed the same system when motorhoming in Scandanavia since. Also remember that off the E roads they will probably shut midday Sat and open again on Monday. The pumps are clearly marked so there will be no problem but due to some odd vehicle taxation system private diesel cars are virtually unknown in Sweden and so the diesel pumps are sometimes tucked around the corner. 2 years ago when we were in Norway only Esso stations would accept UK visa. When I tried a Shell garage the card was refused and the manager told me that (due to excessive fraud on uk visa) all garages (except esso) had blanked these cards. At that time they were accepting mastercard or amex (we didn't have either). Great countries to drive in so enjoy yourself.

Guest Mel E
Recent magazine articles on visiting North Cape have suggested that there is no shortage of fuel stations, at least on the main roads. However, it is very expensive, as you'd expect!

Archived