Recharging car battery in storage

dicksob

My existing set up is two 100amp leisure batteries, Siemens solar panel and a CSB-2 vehicle battery recharging system. As we have to keep the Motorhome in secure storage where there is no hook up I had hoped that this would keep both leisure and van battery ok. My understanding is that the solar panel regulator maintains the voltage at 13.5v but that the CSB-2 only allows recharge of vehicle at 13.6v, is this right? Does that mean that it won't keep my vehicle battery charged? Do I need a battery master from van bitz? Given the weather in Scotland (snow!) and work commitments it's not always possible to get to the van to run the engine to recharge. Any advice most welcome!

Bill

The solar regulator should fully recharge the batteries taking them up to 14.2 - 14.6 volts before reducing to the maintenance charge level of 13.5V so you should be OK. Although the engine battery may not receive a maintenance charge it will get recharged once the leisure batteries charge falls sufficiently for the solar controller to produce full output.

Archived