France POI downloads

magbrin

Just wondering if anyone knows of a recent (pref. 2012) POI download of France Passion sites. I still have an old version (pre 2010) which someone kindly sent me when we were last going to France. I have the book, but it would be very useful to load the POIs onto my relatively new TomTom. If not I will transfer the old data to my new satnav.

PS. If it has not been posted before - it probably has - http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/resources-downloads/download-gps-poi-files/ is a very useful link for POIs including 2012 ASCI sites with cross references to page numbers.

Sorry to disappoint you Maggy, but I'm pretty sure (as sure as anyone can be on the internet!!) that what you're looking for doesn't exist.

Like you, I've got that old version (I think about 2008, maybe earlier), but never found a replacement since. It seems the one we've got was assembled by a private individual, and FP themselves have never issued (or authorised) one because it's important that only CURRENT members (ie book-owners) use the system. That's why (for instance) CC Magazine's "Aires" book is allowed to show FP locations on its map, but can't give any details of them - even exact locations.

FP insist they're not just trying to sell more books, it's just that "campingcaristes" with old books turning up at places which have withdrawn from the scheme can cause bad feeling all round. Valid point I think.

So until FP feel they can produce an annually-updated POI file to accompany each year's book, it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid!

On the bright side, the English instructions in the multilingual edition of the book are usually pretty clear. We've never failed to find one yet! Sometimes they only guide you in from one direction though, so you may need to circle your target to come at it along the same route they describe!

Tony Jones - 2012-08-06 2:34 PM

Sorry to disappoint you Maggy, but I'm pretty sure (as sure as anyone can be on the internet!!) that what you're looking for doesn't exist.

Like you, I've got that old version (I think about 2008, maybe earlier), but never found a replacement since. It seems the one we've got was assembled by a private individual, and FP themselves have never issued (or authorised) one because it's important that only CURRENT members (ie book-owners) use the system. That's why (for instance) CC Magazine's "Aires" book is allowed to show FP locations on its map, but can't give any details of them - even exact locations.

FP insist they're not just trying to sell more books, it's just that "campingcaristes" with old books turning up at places which have withdrawn from the scheme can cause bad feeling all round. Valid point I think.

So until FP feel they can produce an annually-updated POI file to accompany each year's book, it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid!

On the bright side, the English instructions in the multilingual edition of the book are usually pretty clear. We've never failed to find one yet! Sometimes they only guide you in from one direction though, so you may need to circle your target to come at it along the same route they describe!

Thanks for that, Tony.

I appreciate the reasoning. And the book is fine - it is just that as we don't plan much in advance, if it was on my POIs when we decide to head in a particular direction we could key in a town and assess what there is in the way of FPs as well as aires, wild camping spots, ASCI sites, etc "near destination" (lazy, I know :-(

BTW we are a britstop "host". The scheme is getting going but I have to admit we have not had a huge number of visitors through the scheme, so I really do understand the situation ;-)

Archived