motorhome tv

skyrider

well we have just come back from eight days in the isle of man not bad weather. any way the tv we have in the van is one that came with it its an old analogue one that needs a digi box and wires all over the place the aerial is a newer avtex one that powers up when you plug into the tv but not on ours so more wires.as we all know with motorhomes space is at a premium so we can all live without all these wires so any any ideas on reasonably priced good 15" digi tv's thanks B-)

Hi

There may be many replies advising you to spend lots of money on a 12 volt tv for the van, however look on www.kogan.co.uk we purchased the 16" screen model with the dvd player and usb recording function 6 months ago and have nothing but praise for it great picture acceptable sound and good value for money (it cost us £89 at the time they are £99 now (i made my own 12 volt lead up but they do sell a suitable one if you need it) plus they have quite low consumption i posted these results a while ago.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27321&posts=3

Hope this helps

Dave

An important thing to consider is the wattage of the TV.

If you visit the local shops (Comet etc.) you will find some quite a bit bigger than 15" which run on less than 2 amps.

In the store, look at the back of the TV. if it is 12 volt, it will have a plug similar to a Laptop plug in the back of the set and a transformer box on the 240 volt lead. Check how many amps or watts it is rated at. Roughly 12 watts = 1 amp.

I replaced the 15" analog tv in my motorhome when I bought it a few months ago, I got a 19" Enox off amazon. It is the same size overall as the original 15" and has freeview, DVD and FTA satellite built in. I am very happy with it and the picture quality is excellent . It uses a standard type 12v lead not the multi pin ones as found on the Avtex ones and it has the cigarette plug fitted if you need to run it from a socket. The best bit is the price, I paid around £200 but they are available on evilbay for a lot less.

We don't use a TV much in the camper but when we do we use the laptop with a 'Nanostick' USB TV receiver. Ours is an old-ish model not HD but HD versions are available (Google Nanostick).

It saves the space of having two items, reception is reasonably good with the supplied short whip arial, works with many digital TV systems outside the UK.

Just another option to consider.

Silly question maybe?( Being a woman, I know little about TV, except how to switch on!!) But as we mainly use ours in France/Spain, would we still need a digi box? As I understand it, Freeview is only in UK? We do have a Camos Dome, and have no problem getting programes, but would like a TV , were the sound comes out of the FRONT, as our current one comes out the back, and it is NOT against a wall, which means we can't have van door open, as the nieghbours get a full blast!!

PJay

If you are changing your TV to over come your sound problem would be very unusual to find one know that does not come with a digital tuner. Digi boxes were introduced due to the digital change over of television transmissions, as a cheap way for people to receive the new TV standard and not have to change their TV sets completely. Freeview is the name given to free to air digital transmissions in GB. Digital free to air transmissions are available in most EU countries and can be received with most all of the kit being discussed in this thread. Like you have to re-tune your TV when you move sites in this country, in the set up menu you can tell the TV which country you are searching for a signal in. At the moment we are using a Technika 16-850 which has a DVD player built in, the mains power supply converts to 12volt, so it has been easy to make a lead to run it on 12volts, it draws about 4 amps, and the speakers are on the front, came from Tesco.

Cheers Iain

Iain Strachan - 2012-08-12 3:45 PM

If you are changing your TV to over come your sound problem would be very unusual to find one know that does not come with a digital tuner. Digi boxes were introduced due to the digital change over of television transmissions, as a cheap way for people to receive the new TV standard and not have to change their TV sets completely. Freeview is the name given to free to air digital transmissions in GB. Digital free to air transmissions are available in most EU countries and can be received with most all of the kit being discussed in this thread. Like you have to re-tune your TV when you move sites in this country, in the set up menu you can tell the TV which country you are searching for a signal in. At the moment we are using a Technika 16-850 which has a DVD player built in, the mains power supply converts to 12volt, so it has been easy to make a lead to run it on 12volts, it draws about 4 amps, and the speakers are on the front, came from Tesco.

Cheers Iain

That's what we like about the USB Nanostick, it can be used all over Europe and beyond where there is digital TV, you just have to select the country that you are in and re-tune. I guess with a higher gain TV aerial instead if the short whip (about 6") that come with it reception would be excellent almost anywhere. The Nanostick adds about the size of a box of matches to that of the already carried laptop PC.

Cheers Iain

Iain

We have a couple of Technika TV's from Tesco, one with DVD and one without it. Will try one of them in the van, sometime. Must say we find them very good sound and value

Thanks

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Flicka, look decent enough for the money and good spec...but its all about how good the screen is.....

as we are far from TV addicts I don't really want to slash out an an Avtex

At the moment we are using a Technika 16-850 which has a DVD player built in, the mains power supply converts to 12volt, so it has been easy to make a lead to run it on 12volts, it draws about 4 amps, and the speakers are on the front, came from Tesco.

Cheers Iain

Ian, we have 2 Tecknikas (one at home and one in the van) but they appear to be mains only. Does your TV do the convert externally to the set hence the easy convert of the lead?

Ours may do a down convert but any transforming that might be done must be within the carcass of the set.

Hi Chris the model I have is a 16-850 which comes with a mains power supply, that provides 12volt to the set, by a 4pin plug which is similar to the 4 pin used on Avtecs, although wired differently. I have not seen this arrangement on TVs above 16" so could explain why yours comes with a wired in 13 amp plug.

Hope that helps Iain

Archived