Skye in September

skids

[QUOTE]skids - 2006-06-27 9:23 PM is it possible to get a rough guid to the weather,should l go earlyer or will it possibly be ok. Any chance of snow about in september?[/QUOTE] Hi You can’t predict the weather in Skye at any time because it is a very changeable maritime environment. That said I have heard from the locals that the best weather to be had is in May and September with the added bonus that those months are also outside the midge/tourist season! Very unlikely to have snow in September. I was last there in April and had some excellent weather with beautiful clear skies during the day and torrential rain during the evenings when we were safely tucked up. If you need any information on routes and places to stay give me a yell. Regards Frank

Earlier is probably better as the nights close in quickly after the equinox. But if you are going to Skye the weather is the last thing you should worry about. Go prepared for all contingenciesand you will enjoy it. Docted

Don't go too early in September - midges!!! We've just come back from a week and were eaten alive! Skye is fantastic though, just be prepared for potentially some wild weather. Unlikely to be any snow though, unless you are planning on climbing the Cuillin mountains. (lol)

Snow? September...here on Skye? We didn't even have snow last Christmas. The mainland gets it badly, but here it is rarely a problem except on a couple of passes and on uncleared roads......maybe patchy in some particular parts. I am talking about roads, not the mountains where it can start in October on the highest peaks. September is a good month usually try http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2282 for a Portree report to plan ahead. Midges? Don't walk around in a midge hood, you will look an idiot. There are various creams and roll ons available locally. If, like me, you suffer from a severe reaction to stings and bites, see your doctor for anti-histamine tablets (chlorphenamine maleate). However enjoy! If you need local information, ask... :-D

Archived