Fair price for oil, filter, and brake fluid change ?

jocie

Oil and filter change no problem for me, but with A.B.S. braking systems I am concerned that I might damage it. 50 years ago I regularly bled Morris Minor brakes, replaced wheel cylinders etc and I even still have the Easybleed system I used.........but not sure how to do the ducato safely !!! >:-( 8-)

Guest peter

You won't damage the abs by bleeding the system. Just do it in the correct sequence , which you should find in a manual or on the web.

I also have eezibleed system, very good for one man bleeding.

The price you were quoted is outrageous.

Have you tried shopping around? Provided genuine Fiat parts are used you can use any registered garage.

Price of £207 including VAT is not bad if you count the cost of oil, say £25, filter say £10, brake fluid £10 and then add labour.

I appreciate service manual indicates brake fluid at 24 months but I have never changed brake fluid. This could be time consuming so it would add to cost.

sshortcircuit - 2012-08-07 9:05 PM

Have you tried shopping around? Provided genuine Fiat parts are used you can use any registered garage.

Price of £207 including VAT is not bad if you count the cost of oil, say £25, filter say £10, brake fluid £10 and then add labour.

I appreciate service manual indicates brake fluid at 24 months but I have never changed brake fluid. This could be time consuming so it would add to cost.

Blimey sshortcircuit, when did you last buy any oil, would probably cost in the region of 50quid now for a full oil change. (Maybe even more)

Dave

Guest peter
O/k £50 for oil £10 max for filter £5 for brake fluid. That's £65, so £142 labour is still way too much. Still, who am I to argue, if people are willing to pay that much then so be it. But it won't be me, as I do all my own work, instead of some spotty faced apprentice at a main agent, whom they pay peanuts and then charge top dollar for labour.

Sorry Dave, I have not bought for some time and I was just being a politician and plucking figures out of the air . :-D The initial price looks even better then (?)

Edit

On reflection the charge is a bit excessive. As I suggested it could be cheaper shopping around. Like others I do oil change etc myself.

Many thanks for all your replies. As my engine and filter take nearly 10 litres of oil I think the oil cost might be nearer say £70. An online price for a genuine fiat filter is approaching £20 including postage. So the materials cost is more like £100. This suggests to me that the quote of £207 is reasonable, and I do get a dealer stamp in the service manual. Nevertheless I have found it useful pondering these replies, and if I do use the dealer (to save me jacking up the van, removing the sump guard, and worrying about the bleeding of the bleeding dual circuit braking system ..... :-D ) I will at least be happy that I have researched the matter first. Thanks again folks.

Why on Earth are you thinking of having all your brake fluid changed at 3 years and only 8,500 miles?

You haven't even run that thing in yet.

These vans were designed to do starship mileages in 3 years.

God, how I wish I was a Fiat Dealer.

Or even better, the person who writes the "this is when you need to have utterly needless stuff done to your virtually van, by one of our 70 quid an hour Fiat Main Dealers" in the owners manual.

(The spotty junior apprentice chimp will be doing this most simple of work on your pride and joy, but that's our standard labour rate Gov.).

Change the oil and filter yourself in 30 minutes, don't worry about the brake fluid for about 10 years or 100,000 miles; and spend the other one-hundred-and-fifty quid on going away in your MH for a long weekend or more.

Hi jocie

But you don't have to use a Fiat Dealership for the work.

At 3 year old you are out of warranty, so no obligation to even use Fiat parts.

Ask your local friendly spanner monkey for a price check. Labour will not be at the "dealership" rates.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Water absorbtion rate is age as well as mileage related .Water lowers the fluids boiling point and if the brakes get hot enough on a long descent the water turns into steam and the brake pedal goes very soggy and may get to the floor. .

Went there a few times many years ago and have no wish to return.

I have heard rumours that the next MOT upgrade may include testing brake fluid for water content.

In the long term the water collects inside the brake system and can cause corrosion of pipes etc.

New fluid is a very light colour, as it ages so it gets darker, if its as dark as a pint of Guinness buy yourself a St Christopher badge to rub or better still change it.

Changing the fluid is relativly easy on older vehicles with no ABS. I use a system pressurised from a spare wheel that has paid for itself several times over. Check the handbook if you have ABS as this complicates matters and on some vehicles needs to involve the vehicles computer system.

Provided the correct oil and parts are used the price quoted was fair.

Not being too adept with a spanner, I searched for someone in Sheffield and on this forum, someone suggested BT Fleet. Duly found the depot, MOT carried out for £48 and last week went for an interim service - total including VAT £115. Would be worth checking out the local one to you as they have a fixed price servicing and don't nosey around the rest of the vehicle looking for faults like some motorhome service dealers might !!!

The brake master cylinder is vented to air to avoid a vacuum forming as the level falls due to wear on pads/linings and I can see how the cylinder reservoir can absorb air.

However I fail to see how air saturated brake fluid can reach the nether regions of pipework, slave cylinders and brake callipers?

Perhaps someone techy can clarify this for me please?

That said I too have found myself brakeless on more than one occasion in the distant impecunious past and believe me if you have ever been there the memory does linger and you won't want to return - so I don't take any chances with brakes - manufacturers original spec parts for me every time and who cares what it costs - how much saving is your life worth - let alone the damaged people and/or the van and/or the holiday!

That said I wouldn't use a main agent for an out of warranty service either but if they were changing brake bits I would insist on genuine parts rather than unknown bits made in China from the local motor factor - however much good faith they may be sold with!

Don't forget that the service and parts price includes uncle George's 20% which helps to make the net cost a little less unpalatable!

Just for comparison here's a breakdown of our charges for same:

Oil: 8 litres @ £8.38 per litre+VAT= £80.45

Oil filter @ £20 +VAT = £24

Brake fluid replace = £55 including fluid and VAT

Oil and filter change = £22.50 inc VAT

Total: = £181.95 inc VAT

The 3 litre takes 8 litres of very expensive oil.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water out of the air. The water molecules are heavier than the brake fluid so gradually fall to the lowest points of the system, the wheel cylinders, where it accumulates. under prolonged braking, say coming down an alpine pass, the water can boil (brakes work by converting kinetic energy to heat energy through friction) as the fluid becomes heated. Boiling water is steam which is compressible giving a spongey pedal. Spongey pedal usually causes the driver to press harder wwhich aggravates the condition and pretty soon the pedal is on the floor and your motorhome is in freefall. 3.5 tonnes plus of motorhome is an awful lot of vehicle to run out of brakes with.

D.

I agree with all of BGD

I am about to do oil and filter change on my van, i spoke to my very reputable garage that has done all of my company and private vehicles for last 20 yrs and if never mentioned that it needed brake fluid change. My van also 3yrs old 12k. Been a while since i did any work on vehicles myself but i cant believe its gonna cost me 80 quid for oil from my local parts shop who i have also dealt with for in excess of 20 yrs. Will report back in next few weeks on total cost of my job.

Ps

had oil and filter changed by my chap last year cant remember exact cost but Defo wasnt over 100 quid or i would have remembered and prob fired him off by now if it was over 100 quid.

Andy2253 - 2012-08-08 6:55 AM................................and don't nosey around the rest of the vehicle looking for faults like some motorhome service dealers might !!!

Well yes they might, and they might even find faults. If they do, they will ask if you want the fault repaired, and you then have a choice.

I may be odd (no, really :-)), but I'd far sooner be notified of a fault and given the choice of what I do about it, than have my van serviced by a fault-blind technician. At the very least I then know it exists. Your way, you don't even get to know!

Andy2253 - 2012-08-08 6:55 AM

Would be worth checking out the local one to you as they have a fixed price servicing and don't nosey around the rest of the vehicle looking for faults like some motorhome service dealers might !!!

Fixed price only applies to the specified work - any extras will always cost extra.

If there is a fault or potential fault that you are unaware of isn't it better to find it in the comfort of home rather than half way up (or down) a mountain in Europe with no phone signal (in the rain!!)?

I would have more respect for any mechanic who advises me of potential problems that he has identified - than those who say -'yeah - it's fine mate' without even looking?

At least then you can discuss and decide what to do with the benefit of knowing about it.

Your choice?

Dave Newell is a top man with his prices and work so would guess the £200 from a main dealer is not a bad quote. Personally I stopped grubbing around under cars, to save a shilling, a long time ago, leave it to those who enjoy it. Especially those who seem to think they have more expertise than a main dealer.

Hello,

The price does not seem at all excessive.

The price that non-franchised garages charge includes a labour rate that reflects the very high costs of operating a facilty like that and the costs of running a franchised operation are simply astonishing; so their labour rate will have to reflect this.

You would not want to be in this game!

If you are not driving in alpine regions the brake fluid change at 2 years is excessive but I would not leave any vehicle that has not had significant fluid replenishment through repairs for more than 4 years without changing it completely.

You should see the colour of some fluids that we have drained from customer's vehicles. Green and full of algae has been seen, and that will not do the job at all!

Nick

This may seem a stupid question Dave or Nick so I apologise. I want to change the oil and filter on my 9000 mile 1 year old Pug Boxer 2.2

I looked from top of engine for filter and from underneath and guess what? I can't see it :D

Any clues?

Arthur

Dr Dave - 2012-08-08 12:52 PM

I paid my local independent and trusted mechanic £120 for a three year service on our 09 transit he was very apologetic about the price but would only use genuine ford oil which is expensive and apparently essential.

Dave

why is ford oil essential surely as long as its correct type and viscocity it Doesnt matter ?

Archived