Charged for not using Portuguese Motorway

Zydeco Joe

Hi, Just spotted on my credit card a charge for 5 euros from a car hire company in Faro from a trip in Dec / Jan 2012. A email from car hire company said it's a Administration Charge for unauthorized passage on the A22. I find this strange as I never went on the A22 Motorway !!!!.Does anybody know the charges on this motorway.

Anyone else had this.

Sounds like a rip-off to me. First step, report it to your card provider as an "unrecognised" transaction and ask for it to be refunded.

Not much point in chasing a Spanish company for €5, so if your card people won't play I'm afraid it's a write-off.

Might be worth one call to the car hire people though, in case it's a genuine error (eg charge assigned to the wrong car).

Did contact the Credit Card company and they said contact the car hire firm for details, we did by email as phoning would have cost more than the 5 euros.

Got a reply "You are correct. There is a difference of 30 minutes from the previous renter and you rental" plus "We do apologize but we are now receiving an average of 90 letters a day from the A22 administration to identify drivers and the time is short.

The mistake is now identified and once again we do apologize for this."

It could have happened like they say and the Portuguese motorway charging system is a total mess but 8 months late is a long wait.

Will soon find out if they have sent me the 5 euros back.

Just look out if you go to the Algarve, keep away from the A22 like I did LOL

Archived