Winter ferries Prices

Mike B.

Been looking at various options re heading for Spain in January and checked the Portsmouth/Bilbao price on Brittany Ferries direct and also Brittany Ferries via Caravan Club on Tuesday (first day they had their winter timetable & prices up) Can you believe that in 24 hours the price has increased by £60? God knows why and very little difference between the 2 this year.

Needless to say they have completely priced themselves out of the market for us and I reckon driving down through France will work out about 50% cheaper than going direct to Spain.

Appreciate it will take me 3 days longer + diesel & overnights- but approximately £500 cheaper -bit of a no brainer really. Waiting for DFDS prices to come out via CC as they always seem to do a good deal for CC but even on the current direct price it's only £108 return as against £875 with Brittany ferries/CC.

Anyone else making plans for winter? What are your thoughts?

Mike

We will be doing it for the first time next January and having looked at the costs we will be going down through France. We normally go to Spain every summer and for the last 20+ years we have costed this option and always ended up driving down.

Being retired I have more time than money :-S

Prices probably haven't changed they are probably tracking your browsing & the price goes up to encourage you to book it's a common trick webmasters use implemented via cookies. Easyjet is the most common example.

Clear your cookies and try again you will probably find the prices have reduced back to the same as when you first looked.

As you have suggested DFDS are likely to provide one of the best deals for crossing the channel. The long ferry prices look a bit more realistic, however, if you normally expect to pay motorway tolls, travel at motorway speeds and use campsites en route. Bad weather in France might be a decider too.

Hope you have a great trip. See you there.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2012-08-09 10:32 PM

Prices probably haven't changed they are probably tracking your browsing & the price goes up to encourage you to book it's a common trick webmasters use implemented via cookies. Easyjet is the most common example.

Clear your cookies and try again you will probably find the prices have reduced back to the same as when you first looked.

Sneaky B******d's 8-)

Guest pelmetman
T8LEY - 2012-08-10 1:50 AM

Hope you have a great trip. See you there.

And us B-).....................first one there buys the beer :D

Where is 'there'? Is there a big meet in Spain this winter?

We will be leaving for France at the end of August and will be away for 3-6 months so the longer we stay, the farther south we'll travel. Not visited Spain in the van yet although been holidaying and golfing there for years.

Did a ghost booking on Tuesday for a single Santander to Portsmouth....van , with outside cabin for mid November, price was £379 on the Pont Aven.....£5 cheaper than same time last year !

Still cheaper to meander back.

bolero boy - 2012-08-10 9:44 AM

We will be leaving for France at the end of August and will be away for 3-6 months so the longer we stay, the farther south we'll travel. Not visited Spain in the van yet although been holidaying and golfing there for years.

No one place particularly, just the East coast of Spain.

Probably start with Vilanova Park, a good first stop, mainly because it's past Barcelona and also has a wonderful indoor swimming pool. Don't stay too long though, because it's a bit far North for January.

After that, who knows where; just pick a site from the ACSI book. Most places in the winter bible can accommodate hundreds of vans, have a range of facilities and provide fully serviced pitches, all for €12 to €16 /n. We prefer to move after about a month so we don't usually qualify for the even lower long-stay rates.

You'll be surprised how many people do this every winter; it annoyed me that I didn't know. It's what retirement's for.

Hope we see you 'there'

Guest pelmetman
T8LEY - 2012-08-10 1:12 PM

Probably start with Vilanova Park, a good first stop, mainly because it's past Barcelona and also has a wonderful indoor swimming pool. Don't stay too long though, because it's a bit far North for January.

After that, who knows where; just pick a site from the ACSI book. Most places in the winter bible can accommodate hundreds of vans, have a range of facilities and provide fully serviced pitches, all for €12 to €16 /n. We prefer to move after about a month so we don't usually qualify for the even lower long-stay rates.

You'll be surprised how many people do this every winter; it annoyed me that I didn't know. It's what retirement's for.

Hope we see you 'there'

Don't tell everyone Trevor 8-)................we don't want the sites clogged up with Riff Raff .................

like me :D

pelmetman - 2012-08-10 2:25 PM

Hope we see you 'there'

Don't tell everyone Trevor 8-)................we don't want the sites clogged up with Riff Raff .................

Too late pal-the Riffraff already know and we are going to be there! :-D

Mike

bolero boy - 2012-08-10 8:44 AM

We are going:

Valladolid for the Penguines rally, then down to Algarve for 2/3 weeks then work back across Murcia, up to Banicasim for about a month then meander back through France to Blighty about end of March/April. If anyone wants to bring beer we will always let you sit with us and put the world to rights!!

Mike

lennyhb - 2012-08-09 10:32 PM

I never knew they could do that! What a liberty!

Gonna clear my cookies and try again-thanks

Mike

Guest pelmetman
Mike B. - 2012-08-10 2:34 PM

Hope we see you 'there'

Mike

I dunno *-)................the quality of the Riffraff now days..........I remember a time when you could tell the cut of a chaps jib just by the way he wore his Kiss Me Quick hat :D

I blame the parents (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2012-08-10 5:03 PM

Hope we see you 'there'

Mike

I dunno *-)................the quality of the Riffraff now days..........I remember a time when you could tell the cut of a chaps jib just by the way he wore his Kiss Me Quick hat :D

Tell it to the Marines, Dave. I've been, taken aback. Not like us eh, shipshape and Bristol fashion.

Guest pelmetman
T8LEY - 2012-08-10 5:11 PM

pelmetman - 2012-08-10 5:03 PM

Hope we see you 'there'

Mike

Tell it to the Marines, Dave. I've been, taken aback. Not like us eh, shipshape and Bristol fashion.

An Ex Boot neck eh?..............You kept that quiet Trevor ;-)..............almost senior service :D

T8LEY - 2012-08-10 2:12 PM

Best bet would probably be to go down the west coast of France and cross Spain using the new toll free A23 autovia to the north of Valencia. We regularly do Calais/Dunkerque to Valencia in three days without using any toll roads.

There's a few ACSI Camping Card sites between Valencia and Alicante.

Archived