Euro 4 or 5 Hymer?

Brock

Been offered one of the unsold 2011 Hymers. Rare 504 layout that suits us. It's Euro 4, not 5 and I have reservations about this. However, we only do 6,000 miles a year so fuel consumption is not going to be a deal breaker and I doubt the the extended service intervals will matter.

I am aware that many haulage firms are trying to buy up old stocks of lorries on euro 5s rather than pay the premium for the new euros 6 trucks that are coming in.

How much does it matter whether the van is 4 or 5?

.....IMO, the only thing that should affect your choice is a judgement of if (when?) emissions legislation catches up with the arrival of the new Euro5 rating, and starts to apply sanctions to Euro4 engines.

Low-emissions-zones, and emissions-related tolling (e.g. as currently in Austria for vehicles over 3500kg on motorways) are the things that come to mind (and you may feel these will or will not affect you).

Personally, if it was the vehicle I wanted, and at the correct price, without the benefit of a crystal ball I'd take it.

I'd be more worried (but not overly so) about the amount of time it has potentially been stood unused. I'd take a very good look at the base vehicle in particular, and make sure any manufacturers warranty was aligned with purchase date.

Euro 4 will not have a Particulant filter for low mileage short journeys a defiant advantage. As Robinhood says it's going to have been around a while if it's 2011 model year could hove been made in 2010. To bring it up to scratch it will probably need new batteries (Leisure & Engine) as they will no doubt have been left to go flat on more than one occasion also check the tyre dates if they are already a couple of years old they will need changing in 3 years.

Personally I would only go for the latest spec. Having two lots of friends who have had to sell their motorhomes and buy new ones due to the LEZ, both had bought vans that they thought would see them out, the way the authorities keep changing the goalposts (here and abroad) the only way to gaurantee maximum longevity is to go for the latest incarnation.

Bas

Archived