Purchase of ex hire Hymer Exsis-i 562?

vanbiker

Too good to be true?

A web search of

http://suchen.mobile.de

Revealed a number of German Motorhome dealers offering ex hire units that appear to have been registered in March 2012, and will have been used for this season.

Several offer what appear to be attractive offers, such as

Hymer Exsis-i 562 reg March 2012 Gross 49,850 Euros. Est Mileage 18,000 kms

That equates to just over £40,000

Anyone had any experience of buying an ex hire Van?

I had considered hiring one of these vehicles in early September, to see if we got one with the layout dimensions and sleeping arrangements.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone down this route.

I am minded to consider that it may have all sorts of bumps and scratches, and that having multiple drivers might be a problem. On the other hand it should be a new model.Even if it were a 2011 manufacture, the fact that it has been used may make it a better bet than a 2011 model that has sat on site, under a pile of snow, and then baked in sunshine waiting for a purchaser.

Any advice would be welcome.

JR

:-S

German motorhomes secondhand are generally fantastic value for money.

Ex-hire for a few months..........so what?

The mechanicals side of the vehicle was designed to be robust enough for white-van man (or rather, for a succession of hundreds of them) to thrash the thing to its limits continuously for 3 years/300,000 miles without a hint of mercy.

Half a dozen retired couples, tootling about from site to site really are utterly nothing in comparison.

11,000 miles is NOTHING. The damn things ain't even run-in at that sort of mileage.

Likewise, the habitation side may have had people using it/sleeping in it for perhaps 60 nights? Nothing.

So, a 6 month old Hymer Exsis-i 562, 2012 model, incredibly lightly used, for only say £44,000 all-in, including collection and travel back to the UK, transfer to UK plates, insurance, RFD.

It'd be rude not to!

See if you can hire it one last time for (say) one week, on the basis that if you like it, you'll buy it. That should give you the opportunity to give it a thorough going over while you have it, and identify any faults it may have before you pay. You may even get the hire charge accepted as a deposit!

Guest JudgeMental

I very much doubt it has any bumps or scratches, simply ask the dealer..its a bit like car hire, last victim will pay for damage and smart repairs cheap these days. Saying that! pay particular attention to the roof and inspect carefully for damage, also interior detail. remember it has had the equivalent of maybe 3 years use of an average private van.

I would think you could get a decent discount also as many available..play one of against the other....No better time to do it with exchange rates on the up

Normally I would be against buying an ex hire van, but a Hymer from a German dealer is the one exception.

I have hired Hymer's twice from German dealers both times they have been almost new & immaculate. When you return them from a hire they go over them with a fine toothcombe. I had a big argument with one dealer when we returned the van tried to dock our 1000€ deposit because the van was dirty, the dirt being 3 blades of grass in the garage & some coffee grains in an overhead locker!

Hymer Hire is strictly controlled by Hymer, dealers are not allowed to hire vans older than 2 years in practice they sell them after one season. Often they put them up for sale as soon as they get them saying available September and will often sell them before then if they get a reasonable offer, one of our hires was upgraded as they had sold the van.

If in doubt look for a deal that includes a full Mechanical & Habitation Service, with a set of NEW upholstery & mattresses, as these will be the most likely items to show any early fatigue due to high use over a foreshortened period.

Then considing that any warranty issues will have been addressed immediately, withthe engine just nicely run in & they should be a preferable buy against the current 2010/2011 NEW models still available in the UK.

They will also be Euro 5 engined versus the Euro 4 for those in the UK.

If in doubt look for a deal that includes a full Mechanical & Habitation Service, with a set of NEW upholstery & mattresses, as these will be the most likely items to show any early fatigue due to high use over a foreshortened period.

Then considing that any warranty issues will have been addressed immediately, withthe engine just nicely run in & they should be a preferable buy against the current 2010/2011 NEW models still available in the UK.

They will also be Euro 5 engined versus the Euro 4 for those in the UK.

Archived