Water cleanig

Pete-B

SWMBO and I are pretty new to the business of motorhoming and reading previous threads it seems I ought to consider sterelizing the water system! Is there a prefered solution to do this or is it any off the shelf ones, which to me seem to be quite expensive.

Why on earth waste money on bottled water? We have caravanned/ motorhomed for over forty years and never had an upset stomach, that includes taking our children away from the age of one month! At the start of the season if the van has been laid up for more than a few weeks, we will use WPA, available from any good home brew shop, which is safe for use on all materials used in the motorhome and is food safe if used correctly. Then always keep the tank full, if not being used for a week or so then drain and refill before use.

The main problem is leaving the tank empty as any bacterias form in the condense on the sides and roof of the tank.

Bottled water is one of, if not THE biggest take on of the modern day. look up the study carried out by Which if you don't believe that.

Bas

We use our tank water for showering, washing up and flushing the loo. I carry a 5 litre jerry can that I steralise yearly with Milton (its all plastic) that I keep for drinking water. I half fill it at home so if we stop we can have a cuppa and then fill it up from the water taps at any site we are on.

No expensive shop bought bottled water for us 8-)

I use the Truma Aquastar cleaning system once a year, or if the van hasn't been used for a long time. I like to be on the safe side! Having said that, we don't drink from the tank water, but we do use it for showering, washing up, etc. It's a bit of a long winded job but I think it's worth it for peace of mind.

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/water-comfort/truma-aquastar.php

laimeduck - 2012-08-13 11:31 AM

Go down to your local pub & ask if they will let you have a small amount of beer line cleaner/sterilizer.

They use loads of the stuff & its dirt cheap for them. Even if they charge you, it'll only be a couple of £'s

And it's SAFE for Stainless Steel boilers.

OK then. Hands up.

We must be the worst pikeys on the entire planet.

'Cos in the 7 years we've owned motorhomes (2 in that time), I've never once emptied out, sterilised, surgically cleaned, lasered or chemical-zapped the fresh-water tank on either MH.

We don't use tank water for drinking ( we use 5 litre bottled water, available in every supermarket across our travels across Spain, Portugal, France, Italy), but do use it for showers, and for washing up, and for rinsing toothbrushes.

The water that's left in the freshwater tank just stays there for a few weeks, or maybe a month or two, until we leave home again on another foray......when I top the tank up to full from the mains at home the day before leaving.

Works for us. Life's too short for paranoia.

flicka - 2012-08-13 10:00 PM

laimeduck - 2012-08-13 11:31 AM

Go down to your local pub & ask if they will let you have a small amount of beer line cleaner/sterilizer.

They use loads of the stuff & its dirt cheap for them. Even if they charge you, it'll only be a couple of £'s

And it's SAFE for Stainless Steel boilers.

Sorry Flicka, but NO!, Beer line cleaner is a chlorinated alkali and not at all staimnless steel friendly.

Mike P

Use a water system cleaner avaiable from any caravan dealer or home brew shop etc and flush out the tank and pipes two or three times a year, depending on how long the 'van stands unused. We've done this for over 25 years caravanning and motorhoming, used the tank water for everything including drinking and never had tummy upsets etc. Did once succumb to well-meaning advice and carried a separate 5litre bottle for drinking etc, but soon got tired of the inconvenience and went back to our own taps.

Neil B

Archived