We have made the decision and bought one!

jacandandy

Welcome.

If you have had many years caravanning then you will know it all already. All that is likely to happen is you will get a lot of daft suggestions from motorhome owners who keep trying to justify their separate existence!!!

My suggestion is to ignore all of them and do what you know is best. After all, in time you may realise your big error and return to the fold of caravanning. We did. We enjoyed our motorhome but circumstances dictated a return to caravanning. You never know one day we may succumb again.

So, why am I in a basically motorhome forum??? Well somebody has to try and keep them on the straight and narrow.

However, underneath all that they are not a bad bunch of people, so that is all that matters.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2012-08-13pm

So, why am I in a basically motorhome forum??? Well somebody has to try and keep them on the straight and narrow.

You've got yer work cut out on here then Dave :D

I know, I know. LOved our motorhome to bits for nearly 10 years, but once we moved to a flat I could not park it, and as I was also posted overseas, it seemed the bets thing to do was sell it. When retiral came along we looked again but as the same flat restrictions came up we plumped for a caravan and car. Living with it has confirmed it as our better choice as we do not hanker after moving around so much anymore. Once down to Spain in Spring and back in Autumn is our wont these days.

However, at th end of the day it is the camping that is important, enjoying the open air, and the flies and the heat and the rain and the........well you know the rest.

There is a good mix on this Forum and opinions are varied, insults are never held back,.....................which is why i like it.

Dave225 - 2012-08-13 8:54 PM

I know, I know. LOved our motorhome to bits for nearly 10 years, but once we moved to a flat I could not park it, and as I was also posted overseas, it seemed the bets thing to do was sell it. When retiral came along we looked again but as the same flat restrictions came up we plumped for a caravan and car. Living with it has confirmed it as our better choice as we do not hanker after moving around so much anymore. Once down to Spain in Spring and back in Autumn is our wont these days.

However, at th end of the day it is the camping that is important, enjoying the open air, and the flies and the heat and the rain and the........well you know the rest.

There is a good mix on this Forum and opinions are varied, insults are never held back,.....................which is why i like it.

Interesting Dave

"Once down to Spain in Spring and back in Autumn is our wont these days."

That is exactly what we want to do when retired - sadly still some way off. We had assumed that a MH would be the best option as towing is OK - but when I get older??? (^) But then MH's are not that small - so some issues there.

I get the feeling now that the choice is very much about what the individual wants to do. We think we will want to travel to a warm clime, set up, and stay there for several months for the winter. So a cvan is probably still the best option for us. A cvan with a nice full sized awning would be an ideal base to explore the region.

But if we wanted to travel, just a few days/weeks in each place then a MH is the obvious choice. However friends that have done this say they are glad they did it in the past because the cost of fuel is making this ever more costly.

We will decide after our planned second trip to Australia where after our first trip where we used hotels and a car, we would now want to hire a MH as that seems the ideal way to explore that country.

I do'nt feel quite the same urge to "explore" Europe having seen a lot of it already (yes silly comment I know as how could you possibly see all of it? *-) ) Therefore as yet, no urge to travel in Europe - just use a nice spot within it to escape the UK winter. So we keep coming back to a smaller single axle cvan with a good quality seasonal full awning and a more modern more fuel efficient tow vehicle.

I keep looking at those Fifth Wheelers tho! I really fancy one of them.

Edit - Ooops - sorry - jacandandy - meant to say congratulations on getting a MH - and i for one would love to hear how you get on - so keep posting updates :-D

Guest pelmetman

I don't see fuel as a major issue especially if retired ;-) .............

As it takes the same amount of fuel to get to Spain whether you go for a month or six months.........WHEN we eventually sell *-)...........we intend to spend 9 months traveling Europe slowly, ie plan to stop on a site thats within walking distance of a nice town for a month, then move further South maybe a couple hundred miles max then another month near a nice town etc etc :D

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2012-08-14 12:18 PM

Obviously you not sold yet Dave ? Have you had any offers ? Have you tried cleaning up before viewings ? here to help .

Not a thing 8-).................we've had several viewings and have always mucked out before hand and put down fresh sawdust :D

Incidentally most of the people viewing have been from Scotland.......... :-S ...........

pelmetman - 2012-08-14 12:38 PM

antony1969 - 2012-08-14 12:18 PM

Obviously you not sold yet Dave ? Have you had any offers ? Have you tried cleaning up before viewings ? here to help .

Not a thing 8-).................we've had several viewings and have always mucked out before hand and put down fresh sawdust :D

Incidentally most of the people viewing have been from Scotland.......... :-S ...........

Could be they are lost. Your location is 'nr Alford'. Alford is in Aberdeenshire. If they are speaking Doric (in otherwords you do not understand a word) then very possibly they turned left instead of right.

CliveH - 2012-08-14 6:34 AM

Dave225 - 2012-08-13 8:54 PM

Interesting Dave

"Once down to Spain in Spring and back in Autumn is our wont these days."

That is exactly what we want to do when retired - sadly still some way off. We had assumed that a MH would be the best option as towing is OK - but when I get older??? (^) But then MH's are not that small - so some issues there.

I get the feeling now that the choice is very much about what the individual wants to do. We think we will want to travel to a warm clime, set up, and stay there for several months for the winter. So a cvan is probably still the best option for us. A cvan with a nice full sized awning would be an ideal base to explore the region.

But if we wanted to travel, just a few days/weeks in each place then a MH is the obvious choice. However friends that have done this say they are glad they did it in the past because the cost of fuel is making this ever more costly.

We will decide after our planned second trip to Australia where after our first trip where we used hotels and a car, we would now want to hire a MH as that seems the ideal way to explore that country.

I do'nt feel quite the same urge to "explore" Europe having seen a lot of it already (yes silly comment I know as how could you possibly see all of it? *-) ) Therefore as yet, no urge to travel in Europe - just use a nice spot within it to escape the UK winter. So we keep coming back to a smaller single axle cvan with a good quality seasonal full awning and a more modern more fuel efficient tow vehicle.

I keep looking at those Fifth Wheelers tho! I really fancy one of them.

Edit - Ooops - sorry - jacandandy - meant to say congratulations on getting a MH - and i for one would love to hear how you get on - so keep posting updates :-D

Clive,

All I can say is 'make it sooner rather than later' as you never know what grunge life will throw at you. One of the reasons I worked areas of the world you would never wish to visit was to get extra cash so we could pack it in a bit quicker. I tried to avoid war zones but poverty and lack of communications was always there. Some of the places also had hard feeling towards Brits as they associated us with Americans who they hated, so sometimes you had to be very careful.

Anyway, as to your comments about towing I would not use that as an issue. I have mentioned on another Post that we picked a caravan this time round due t where we lived but in retrospect we have no regrets. My wife does half the driving and with a Volvo automatic all she does is 'point and squirt'. Dead easy. We also have a mover so again it is all done by remote control. I also agree that having the awning is a bonus, although ours is a continental one which is lighter than the UK ones, as you do get a lot more living space. Even big motorhomes have smallish lounges in many of the models and sitting under a pull out shade is fine but you cannot really set up for long term living unless you put side walls on. The other factor is you have the car to pootle about. I know you can use a scooter but some people we have talked to in Spain dropped it as the trucks love to have a go at you. The other thing is we leave the van in Spain for the high summer which is much easier. Again we feel that as retirees we are not moving every day anymore and so we set up basically once or twice in a 3 month period and that is it.

We also visited Oz a couple of years ago as the wife has relatives there and we always said.well, you know the thing. Unfortunately/??? they all lived in Perth and I was not impressed. Just another hick town at the edge of nowhere plus it was damn cold even at Christmas. Next time we are heading to the east coast, if there is a next time.

I would also make the comment against some remarks about 'those who spend months in Europe' that it is a sensible, not a luxury plan. The costs are lower once you are there, and of course we are not using the heating back here, which you do here in Scotland even in summer. It also benefits our ailments so we are less of a burden on the NHS. Plus we did our 40 years grind, paid our taxes and so why not?

Why not indeed Dave Sounds good to me - very much what we want to do and we really do appreciate hearing what others have done or are doing so we can do similar when our turn comes. We may well be doing "it" soon as we feel that at age 60 this year - if we can - why not. May even go full time for a year! - who knows. :-D

If you come down this way to get across the channel (Poole Cherbourg is a great crossing and gives good access to all the west coast of France) give us a shout if you stop over - it would be good to have a beer together!

CliveH - 2012-08-14 6:55 PM

Why not indeed Dave Sounds good to me - very much what we want to do and we really do appreciate hearing what others have done or are doing so we can do similar when our turn comes. We may well be doing "it" soon as we feel that at age 60 this year - if we can - why not. May even go full time for a year! - who knows. :-D

If you come down this way to get across the channel (Poole Cherbourg is a great crossing and gives good access to all the west coast of France) give us a shout if you stop over - it would be good to have a beer together!

Many thanks for the kind invitation, it is reciprocated if you ever come 'north of the wall', provided it is winter time as we are away summers. I regret that we do not come down your way very much nowadays, we tend to use the Hull crossing or Newcastle. The extra mileage is balanced by the ferry fares in some degree plus you can avoid the M25 and Dartford tunnels. I lived in London in the 50's for many years but we have not been back down there for the last 10 years or more, and have little desire to do so as it would be like visiting a foreign country nowadays. We did go to Cornwall in 2005 but it was twice as expensive as Europe so that was a one off.

If you did come to the 'deep south' you will find it full of like minded souls of all nationalities. The Dutch and Germans tend to leave home at the end of February while Brits are usually a bit later. We all tend to go home early July as it gets too hot and return for September through to whenever it gets cold and dark. Of course there are also the snowbirders who winter down there but we are not so inclined as yet. Many of us have grown up families who all have their own lives, so we can 'escape' without worry, just as long as we are stocked with our medications.

As for retiral, I finally managed it at 62 as my employers asked me to return 3 times to sort out messes my replacements had made. We 'cut our cloth' to suit our needs and make it work, dare I say with a bit of investment Hee! Hee!. Mind you p....d off today. Was going to buy some more United Utilities at the weekend but decided to wait as I expected markets to go down. What Happened? the b.....s jumped over 5% today. So will wait and see. Also had looked at Standard Life and guess? they jumped as well. However, i still expect the market to drop back as the economic figures start to become reality, so will see then.

Don't know if one can do private messaging through this Forum, not that intelligent, but if you like get the Moderator to send me your e mail and I can give you the real dirt.

Hi and welcome :-D if like us you have been camping for years you will find motorhoming a lot easier when filling up with water emptying etc; and no need to put up that dreaded awning >:-) that we fell out everytime we put ours up and we had been erecting tents/awnings for over 40 years.

As you will have gathered from most of the above posts questions (lol) invariably or inevitably get lost after the first couple of answers ;-) ignore them if you can they are harmless >:-) just ask away and after you have sifted through the answers someone will have helped you with your query :-D Good Luck and enjoy the easier way to do it. !!

maggyd - 2012-08-14 8:35 PM

Hi and welcome :-D if like us you have been camping for years you will find motorhoming a lot easier when filling up with water emptying etc; and no need to put up that dreaded awning >:-) that we fell out everytime we put ours up and we had been erecting tents/awnings for over 40 years.

As you will have gathered from most of the above posts questions (lol) invariably or inevitably get lost after the first couple of answers ;-) ignore them if you can they are harmless >:-) just ask away and after you have sifted through the answers someone will have helped you with your query :-D Good Luck and enjoy the easier way to do it. !!

What do you mean 'fill up the dreaded water'? I do it about every 4-5 days without having to move the whole thing to the water point or have a mile of hose Hee! Hee! As for the awning it is funny how many motorhome owners are 'delighted' to come and sit in awelcoming area complete with all mod cons, plus we do not have to run out at night to put the thing away as it is so fragile in a breeze. It is also funny how motorhome owners are happy to hitch a ride to the supermarket in a car??????

AsI mentioned we have a EU awning which is nothing like the jigsaw puzzles you get here. It takes on average 15 minutes to put up and 5 to take down.

Easier?? rubbish. It all depends on the camping life you wish to follow.

maggyd - 2012-08-18 7:23 PM

AWNING DAVE dreaded awning!!! best go to specksavers (lol)

p.s Would never dream of hitching a lift to supermarket 8-) we stop at the supermarket before the site and get everything we need also we have the bikes and our bus passes. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2012-08-15 8:17 PM

What do you mean 'fill up the dreaded water'? I do it about every 4-5 days without having to move the whole thing to the water point or have a mile of hose Hee! Hee!

Well you are Scottish Dave ;-)..........................so washing above the kilt is not natural to you folk :D.........hence the need for water or lack of (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived