Dongles in Europe

IVAN

Hi there.I'm sure this has all been discussed before, but,We are off to Europe for a month in September and i want to keep in touch via my computer. I have my broadband at home with Talktalk and my mobile provider is O2 although i am not on line with my phone. Has anybody any ideas how i can keep in touch cheaply and reliably and short term. :D

T Mobile Broadband Dongle. It’s a PAYG dongle.

Cost £9.99 to buy the dongle + £10 top up.

£40 buys 30 day usage in Mainland Europe OR a certain download allowance [whichever is used sooner] - I forget the exact amount, sorry. But it lasted me well on our last trip. I still used site WiFi when free / reasonable price; McD’s and Kindle and used the dongle when all other sources were not available / too expensive.

I’ve just loaded the dongle with another £40 credit ready for next trip, starting next week.

Great advantage as I see it is that I am in total control, and do not return home to horrendous bills [as happened once with Orange Dongle].

Very reasonable to use in UK too - £2 per 24 hours; £7 per week; £15 per month [i think that’s accurate]. So I make sure I have enough credit to buy time during our overnight stops to and from ports.

derek pringle - 2012-08-14 8:38 AM

Hi,

Can somebody help with my conversation please? Does surfing the web and the ABROADBAND charges include access to e-mails as I have been told these are are seperate entities, the e-mail access being anything to £15/day.

cheers

derek

You pay .59 euro's a megabyte of any data, of which e.mails are data.

Clive - 2012-08-14 10:37 PM

Sorry,

I thought it read "Dingles" so was expecting something about Emmerdale!!

C.

Oh Clive...........you are a nob. :D

With Vodafone now removing the excellent Passport system (giving something to customers far too cheaply!) and replacing it with the far less attractive Data Traveller you can still use your home package minutes and data abroad but you need to be far more disciplined about it as it costs £3 for each day you use the package.

However, if you want to ring all your relatives on the same day, and collect all your emails and do any serious surfing on that day it only charges you £3.

I know this isnt very convenient but at least you can controll the cost.

Just a thought as we are across the Channel at the end of the month and will be using this.

Guest JudgeMental
Just pick up cheap local SIM in country you visit..we are in Italy and phone SIM a fiver plus cheap calls, and another one for the IPad £15 a month

IVAN - 2012-08-15 4:21 PM

Thanks to everybody for their input. To say i am slightly confused would be an understatement. :D

...perhaps if you were a little more specific as to which countries you are visiting and for how long?

Archived