CC membership cost

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
bolero boy - 2012-08-16 4:10 PM

Seriously Dave, surely it is both you and Sue (and Troy) who are members for £42. Discounting Troy, that's £21 each for the year or 40p a week. Not a lot really. Still, it's everyone's choice whether to join or remain in the Clubs.

As I said on an earlier post we used one CL last year..............and so far in 80 nights away this year not one...........So £42 quid is a waste of money, which is why I've cancelled my direct debit ;-)

But if the membership was a nominal fee say twenty quid I'd stay a member just in case we used a CL site, but I confess the CC main sites no longer offers what I look for in a campsite, I had enough of regimentation in the Navy *-)

I might still use the odd CL though >:-)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We spend roughly 6-7 months a year 'away from home' either by a short break at a CL/CS or longer tour of a particular part of the country using a mix of sites and CLs etc along with a larger Continental tour of 3-4 months.

We, too baulk at anywhere charging £15+ and have not really had to get to that level this year.

Many of the CLs we have stayed on have been virtually fully booked and we were lucky to get on them.

Some sites prefer to be small, taking in £300+ a week, usually in a wife's name for tax reasons. One the 5 EHUs (or not) and a rudimentary toilet/tap are in place, that doesnt leave much 'infrastructure' to manage.

Even our last 3 CLs (Climping, Lyme Regis, Topsham) were £10 or less and in the most peaceful spots yet close to the towns we wanted to see, walking distance in the case of the last two).

I'm not an ostritch, just someone who happens to like a small quiet site that is for members. My experiences this year are that members love CLs (for lots of reasons including price) but are less keen on the full blown sites and the extra costs these incur for the clubs and in site fees.

The membership fee allows us to enjoy the hundreds of small sites in the CL/CS directory (we are in both Clubs).

Guest 1footinthegrave
Does anyone know of any plans for either club to provide a POI set, for satnav, this could be instantly updated to include new, and closing sites, on their respective websites.

Tracker - 2012-08-16 5:43 PM

I do have to wonder how those who so vehemently advocate the law on CL/CS not being changed see the whole 5 van network structure in say five years time?

My feeling is that they are a diminishing resource and unless a way can be found for owners to enhance occupancy I don't see how that decline can change?

....well, let's agree to compare notes in 5 year's time. ;-)

As for now, the last set of figures reported by the CC shows CL numbers up (and membership numbers).

pelmetman - 2012-08-16 3:23 PM

£42 squid might be a small fee to some people, but its dam near a weeks site fee's abroad ;-)................In my view the membership fee should be a nominal fee, not another way to fleece the clubs owners........the members *-)

Hi Dave and Sue;

I don't think any of us OWN a bit of either of the Clubs; I think that the "Drinking Club" analogy is pretty accurate. They are clubs that cater for a group of people who have an interest in enjoying facilities amongst people who share their interest; and maybe their attitudes?

I also think that they are probably the only way of establishing a network (or two) of sites that conform to a common and acceptable standard.

We have only been members for 3 seasons, and have used a mix of CL/CS sites, and larger sites, I don't think it's been particularly good value for us, but the "independent" sites we've stayed on have been a mixed bag.

I'd really like to see ACSI get a foothold in the UK, and an equivalent to FPs,

cheers

alan b

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2012-08-16 8:01 PM

pelmetman - 2012-08-16 3:23 PM

£42 squid might be a small fee to some people, but its dam near a weeks site fee's abroad ;-)................In my view the membership fee should be a nominal fee, not another way to fleece the clubs owners........the members *-)

Hi Dave and Sue;

I don't think any of us OWN a bit of either of the Clubs; I think that the "Drinking Club" analogy is pretty accurate. They are clubs that cater for a group of people who have an interest in enjoying facilities amongst people who share their interest; and maybe their attitudes?

I also think that they are probably the only way of establishing a network (or two) of sites that conform to a common and acceptable standard.

We have only been members for 3 seasons, and have used a mix of CL/CS sites, and larger sites, I don't think it's been particularly good value for us, but the "independent" sites we've stayed on have been a mixed bag.

I'd really like to see ACSI get a foothold in the UK, and an equivalent to FPs,

cheers

alan b

From Wiki ;-)

Structure

The Caravan Club is a membership organisation. The Club is led by the Executive Committee, which airs policy issues with the Club Council. The council in turn is supported by the 10 Regional Councils. Their aim of the Regional Councils is to coordinate communications throughout The Club membership. Regional Councils provide a forum to discuss Club issues and to solve local and regional problems. Club members may also vote at the Annual Members Meeting.[3]

To me the club has been hijacked by the corporate sector *-)...................and have all their stooges in place so we the members and owners are now ripe for fleecing 8-) ...............frankly there's no point in protesting just walk away ;-) ............

Robinhood - 2012-08-16 12:47 PM

Tony Jones - 2012-08-16 11:42 AM

BtW, the "other" mag has a "nightstop" scheme, linked with the Motorcaravanners' Club, which apparently allows pubs etc to become MCC CLs, WITHOUT any membership requirement. So I wonder if the "members-only" thing is actually part of the exemption law referred to above, or imposed by the clubs to protect their investment in running the system? If the latter, no criticism from me - it makes perfect sense. But we ought to know which bits of these regulations are Law and which are Club Rules.

The "members-only" requirement is the law. Exempted organisations can only provide a certificate "for use by its members". (reference to the legislation I've quoted above will clarify).

The MCC (not the cricket one!) is an exempted organisation, and therefore can issue certificates. I note that it claims to do this for "public" use, though on what legal basis, given the wording of the act, is unclear. It may be that they are choosing to interpret the above wording not as being "exclusively used by members" (or don't enforce it), but it is clear that most planning authorities are explicit on this.

....after much checking, and specific wording to the contrary on various appropriate sites, it appears that I am wrong on the fundamentals of this.

Natural England, who issue the exemptions to organisations, imply exactly that in the main part of their details, but buried deep elsewhere is the following:

"exempted organisations issue certificates stating that a site has been approved for the use of its members. However, non-members may also use the site, unless there is an agreement between the site owner and the organisation that restricts its use to members only"

So the restriction (which still has legal force) is in fact at the behest of the club, not a baseline legal imposition.

Now, since the conditions of being an exempted organisation (and issuing exemption certificates) impose a number of responsibilites in respect of the use and users, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the main clubs act in this manner, but it does at least go some way to explain the MCC position.

ips - 2012-08-17 9:29 AM

As far as I am aware C&CC CS are for members only. During our annual inspection by the C&CC they are very particular that your "Members only" sign is clearly displayed.

.....indeed they are. As mentioned above, The Motorcaravanners Club claim to be the only one of the 200 or so exempted organisations who will certify for non-member use.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Just a point of interest really.

The CCC club site at Ebury Hill ( where we often stay over night on route ) welcome non members, as do many if not all of the other "club" sites, so it would seem a bit of an anomaly to deny their CS network site operators the same freedom to accept non members, or am I missing something ?

1footinthegrave - 2012-08-17 12:22 PM

Just a point of interest really.

The CCC club site at Ebury Hill ( where we often stay over night on route ) welcome non members, as do many if not all of the other "club" sites, so it would seem a bit of an anomaly to deny their CS network site operators the same freedom to accept non members, or am I missing something ?

....I suspect that in some cases, if not all, that the club sites that allow non-members are leased, rather than owned by the club. Where the lessor is, for example, the local authority, the lease may come with a condition that the site cannot be restricted to members only.

OTOH, on certain other sites, I'm sure the clubs open up to non-members on a purely commercial basis (i.e. to maximise income).

Iain Strachan - 2012-08-15 5:36 PM

CC fee is due in September, I won't be rejoining! My last trip to their Lochside site in Forfar ended it all for me. On arrival as I had only booked for one night I asked if they were busy, as depending on the weather the next day we might have stayed longer? Answer was yes "at the moment that will be fine". I then had a rather strange conversation where the warden said that there were some very nice grass pitches overlooking the Loch which would be great for our rear lounge. I pointed out that we did not have a rear lounge. The warden then said that these pitches would be of no use then as we had to reverse onto the pitch making sure the number peg was in the middle of the van! Why who knows? He went on to say that if I went on a hard standing pitch, I still had to reverse on but that I could use any part of the pitch as long as all our kit, Awning chairs etc. were kept on the hard standing. The site in general was of the usual CC standard a short walk into the town and a few beers and all was well with the world. Next morning the sun was shining, we got the chairs out and I went to pay for another night. No one there they were cleaning!

At noon I returned and was told I would have to leave as they were know fully booked over night on the internet, to say that I was amazed is an understatement, as there were at least a dozen vacant pitches that I could see. We moved on to Arbroath, to an independent site £3.00 cheaper had indoor pool, restaurant and bar. Just choose your pitch sir. Says it all!

Iain

If this is the Red Lion in Arbroath it is not all as you say having enjoyed this weekend there. Cost £4 for use of pool, restaurant not opened and whilst the bar was open service required a lot of improvement with handling glasses and removing glasses from tables. Cost was £18.50 a night which includes hook up.

We spend 2 months in France using aires. Unfortunately with few exceptions the CS/CL networks just cant compare as they all appear to be in remote areas. I would say however I make use of the CCC holiday sites as they are definitely value for money eg stayed at the York holiday site for £7 per night at Cricket Club. Easy walk into town and very socialable at night in the sports clubs brand new clubhouse.

duetto owner - 2012-08-16 4:14 PM

got the return to cc membership email today cost £42.

ok if you stay on their sites on a regular basis as the sites are good, but unless you book months in advance you have no chance. i think if it was only open to members this would give members more chance of getting a pitch.

we tend these days to park up in a quiet street or layby and move location each night, never had a problem with it so far. [ but would book a cc site if available]

We never have a problem finding a site. If the site looks full on the internet then ring the site direct as sometimes a cancellation will have come in but has not yet been took off the web site. The new rule for this season, that no shows pay for at least the one night, has prompted people to ring and cancell instead of just not turning up.

Archived