Dogs on buses in Spain

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can take dogs on board buses in Spain.

As I thought it would be nice for Dave to have a break from driving once we are there and settled on a site.

SUE

Sue - whether or not there are signs saying the dog can/can't be taken on a bus; if you can hold it on your lap then worry not. Just take it on the bus. Everyone does.

People in Spain ignore all and any signs that interfere with what they've always done... thus in practice dogs are allowed on ALL buses in Spain, whether the sign says yes or no.

Same as in shops. If the sign says no dogs, the owners just carry them around the shop.

There is no Gestapo/Big Brother control in Spain.

Less regulation. Less Policing. More personal freedom, but also more personal responsibility too..

Guest pelmetman

Thank you Snail and Bruce for your replies.

Maybe that is why a lot of the Spanish have little dogs as we are always seeing them carried in bags in supermarkets and restaurants.

Now lets see I wonder if Dave can make a bag big enough to take Troy (?)

SUE

Hi,
As Bruce points out it is not such a big problem ,I have never found it to be,I have never had a problem carrying the dog on my lap on the bus in Spain if I used one. But then things are a changing. I have noticed even in France this year in Paris, a lot of dog owners with their dog's in a vented soft case like cage with small wheels. They have become very popular all over Europe and lets the dog almost be admitted anywhere , They also fold flat when not in use. They can be purchased through Amazon in Pet Carriers, Foldable pet transporters
Regards,
Brendan

Sue I suppose like at home it will depend on which driver you get!! one tip though make sure you have bottled water with you :-S we were roasting on a trip from Koblenz back to our site at Burgen which was about 1 hour trip felt like 5 !! I was tipping water over Teddy,s head to keep him cool.

Guest pelmetman

Thanks for the tip re the water Maggy.

It brought back memories when we were staying at St Ives a few years back and caught the bus back to the site on a scorching day with Troy, he was panting like mad and getting hotter and hotter, had to be the day we hadn't taken our usual bottle of water for him.

Sue

I can imagine :-D now multiply that !! I get John to take a haversack when we go out that way the water doesn't weigh so heavy and the camera etc; can go in as well. (lol) Its just like when we had the kids little all the stuff you need to take for the dogs yes before anyone comes on with Your Mad !! We know!! but I wouldn't be without ours!!

Hi,
The soft bag cases come in all sizes,,,,,the have a pull out handle and small wheels that let you pull him/her along after you. It also holds his/her gear ,example strap, bottle of water, etc' in one side pocket...
Top and sides zips are very handy for letting them in and out quickly. Handy as you can almost bring them in and out anywhere,in the soft case.The case has fine meshing so as the dog can see out at all times.
Most buses are low,so no heavy lifting should be involved, let the wheels do the rest,
Regards,
Brendan

Easy answer. Just tie the lead to the back bumper and the dog can run along behind!!!!! It gets exercise and you stay relaxed. Simples as the meerkats say.

I do agree that many dogs are to be seen in restaurants, very much to my dislike as I am not keen to eat off a table that a dog has just panted all over, and discarded umpteen fleas, and yes, the owners have the damn things up on the seats on the table. I feel that food for human consumption and animals should never mix but recognise that many in Spain, and France for that matter pretend to be ignorant of the basic simple rules of hygiene. I also note that many expats in Spain are happy to stay there because they can do things they know would not be tolerated in the UK.

Of course there are restaurants such as those in Korea that welcome dogs with open arms. You can have Fido grilled, BBq'd or even stir fried with a sweet and sour sauce on the side. Saves having to walk the pooch afterwards.

Seriously, I appreciate that many people love their dogs but I do wish they would recognise that not everybody shares their enthusiasm especially in communal areas. If there is one thing I cannot stand is an owner telling me 'that he is just being friendly, and doesn't normally do that' as it has just pawed me up and down.

Fortunately, the sites we stay on in Spain forbid dogs which makes life pleasant for everyone and they are very popular.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2012-08-18 8:34 PM

Easy answer. Just tie the lead to the back bumper and the dog can run along behind!!!!! It gets exercise and you stay relaxed. Simples as the meerkats say.

I do agree that many dogs are to be seen in restaurants, very much to my dislike as I am not keen to eat off a table that a dog has just panted all over, and discarded umpteen fleas, and yes, the owners have the damn things up on the seats on the table. I feel that food for human consumption and animals should never mix but recognise that many in Spain, and France for that matter pretend to be ignorant of the basic simple rules of hygiene. I also note that many expats in Spain are happy to stay there because they can do things they know would not be tolerated in the UK.

Of course there are restaurants such as those in Korea that welcome dogs with open arms. You can have Fido grilled, BBq'd or even stir fried with a sweet and sour sauce on the side. Saves having to walk the pooch afterwards.

Seriously, I appreciate that many people love their dogs but I do wish they would recognise that not everybody shares their enthusiasm especially in communal areas. If there is one thing I cannot stand is an owner telling me 'that he is just being friendly, and doesn't normally do that' as it has just pawed me up and down.

Fortunately, the sites we stay on in Spain forbid dogs which makes life pleasant for everyone and they are very popular.

So you don't like dogs then Dave 8-) ...........

pelmetman - 2012-08-18 10:09 PM

So you don't like dogs then Dave 8-) ...........

'like' is not the word that comes into it. I have absolutely no problem with anyone doing whatever they like, or having whatever they like as pets etc, although I may possibly draw the line if my neighbour tells me he has a crocodile in the bathroom. Where I do feel it gets out of hand, and this is in no way intending as anything personal against you, is that people seem to think that because they love a certain thing, then others should feel likewise. If a dog pees inside a playpark it is considered acceptable, if a child does it then the PC brigade are all over it and the parents. To my simple mind parks are not dog poo areas even with the plastic bag brigade who usually dump the bag on the path. They are there for people to enjoy, of all ages. If a dog bounds up to me I have absolutely no idea whether it is friendly or will try to chew my face off, the larger it is the more apprehensive I get. I object to being placed in that situation. Similarly, if I wish to enjoy a coffee or a meal then I do not expect to have to sit next to a table with a handbag pooch grinning at me and some dippy owner feeding it biscuits on the table. One could say don't sit there, but if you are there first etc etc.

I did own a dog once but it was a bush dog when we were in Africa and it only had 2 aims in life, to fight all males and to ....all females. Oh, it also had a 3rd aim which involved the local natives, but I dare not go into that. It got the clap twice while we were there and had to be treated by the vet. It was eveidently quite painful so that taught the b...r a few things for about 1 day. We kept it because it was a great deterrent to anyone breaking in to the house, but although the family were very fond of the dog there was no way I was bringing it home to the UK, for the aforementioned reasons. Where I live now pets are against the deeds as it is a communal block of flats but the open gardens seem to be fair game for every passing owner to allow Fido to do his business, which as they are our property and we pay to keep them tidy, seems not right. Also as we like to travel away for long periods it is not the most convenient thing to have.

So, a long story to not say a lot.

HERE HE IS (lol) what kept you???? >:-)

BGD - 2012-08-16 1:27 AM

Less regulation. Less Policing. More personal freedom, but also more personal responsibility too..

Not the case when we wanted to walk our dog on the beach in the early morning! ............Packed up and left for France >:-)

terryW - 2012-08-22 10:31 AM

BGD - 2012-08-16 1:27 AM

Not the case when we wanted to walk our dog on the beach in the early morning! ............Packed up and left for France >:-)

If you seriously and rationally actually decided to pack up and leave an entire country, just because of such an isolated incident, where you were actually caught doing something illegal, then it looks like you'll be packing up and leaving home now too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191757/A-town-hall-spy-corner-Pursuing-smokers-stalking-dog-owners--9-600-missions-council-snoopers.html

Yes BDG that's exactly what we did.

You are quite right, as the police pointed out what we wanted to do is illegal in the whole of Spain. So we left to find a place that would allow us to do what we wanted. We packed up 4 weeks early recovered next years deposit and headed north.

I always vote with my feet. Having said that I love Spain having holidayed there for 40 years and worked with Spaniard in Madrid, but my return will be Winters only. My normal 6-8 weeks May & June won't be in Spain, nor will my euros be spent in Spain

Archived