New MOT Station Needed.

Wooie

Hi folks,

I`m looking for a new MOT station in and around Preston. Lancashire.

My present place is a " Recommended Service Centre " as in the

MMM supplement.

My van is 25` long and 4,000 Kgs.

They made such a " cock up " of the last MOT that i wouldn`t

trust them with a Corgi or Dinky model, never mind a real one.

The van failed last time on the " Dreaded ALKO Handbrake Cable "

They then spent over a week trying to fit numerous Peugeot handbrake

cables to it despite me trying to explain that it was on a ALKO Chassis

and that it would need a ALKO cable.

They couldn`t understand why none of the cables fitted and when i asked

to see the original cable they had " binned it " so we couldn`t check any

part numbers.

I couldn`t take it away as it now had no cable at all, i eventually tracked down

the right part number and got one from ALKO and they fitted it and it passed

it`s MOT and away i went.

When i got home the " Electric Step " would not fully extend and when i looked

underneath the step casing had been crushed, i managed to free it but

couldn`t work out how when it had happened.

I then had a look at the new cable they had fitted and could not see it as they had

managed to fit it around the WRONG SIDE of the shock absorbers and it was

trapped around the top.

I rang them immediately and took the van straight back and the Service Manager

agreed it didn`t look right and they re-fitted it whilst i waited.

I mentioned to him that the step had been damaged and he denied any responsibility.

When the van came off the ramps and back out the first thing i did was to try the step

and low and behold it had been crushed again !!!!!!!!!

I queried the split in the cable i could see but was told it was just an outer casing and

the cable inside would be OK.

After 4 weeks the cable had a nice new lump growing on it as the rust started to build up.

I went back with the van and told them i wanted a new cable fitting whilst i waited and

wanted to watch them do it.

2 weeks later the cable arrived ALKO Germany ( none in stock over here ).

We arranged a date for fitting and i went back and this time as they was driving it into

the workshop they " caught " the awning on the door frame, i heard the scrape from

the waiting area.

This is now getting " Beyond A Joke " and as you can imagine i getting very very very

" P*****d Off "

They offered to touch up the scrape to which i said " No Thank You " but it didn`t

come out exactly like that.

There is no rush to find a place but i`d rather start looking now than wait until the

MOT is due.

I`m also looking for the " Timing Belt " being done but i`m getting massive variations

in the quotes that i`m getting. I want the full kit including tensioners, pullies, etc.

Apologies for it being a bit long winded.

Regards.

Graham.

I can't help you with an MOT place Graham but what a mess.

It is one of the reasons I try and do all my own maintenance, but it's getting harder as the computer now runs everything, and I am getting older. I will keep trying as long as I can, I really hate it when I have to take it to a garage.

H

hallii - 2012-08-16 9:58 AM

I can't help you with an MOT place Graham but what a mess.

It is one of the reasons I try and do all my own maintenance, but it's getting harder as the computer now runs everything, and I am getting older. I will keep trying as long as I can, I really hate it when I have to take it to a garage.

H

Hi Geoff,

i also do most of my own maintenance, the only reason i let them do the brake cable was i

could not " for the life of me " shift the hub nut.

The previous year the rear shoes on the handbrake needed adjusting and i tried then to undo

it with the idea of cleaning out the hubs at the same time and even with an extension bar the

nut would not move.

I managed to adjust them through one of the wheel nut openings as you can see the adjusters,

it`s fiddly but is possible.

As for the timing belt i`ll use a garage then at least you have some form of guarantee.

I know what happens when a belt snaps and it can be catastrophic.

Regards.

Graham.

A lot of motorhomes that are built on Alko chassis are very low and it's a risk you take when you take your motorhome for servicing or an MOT to a garage that is only equipped with a ramp. You need to go to a reputable garage that uses a pit so that you don't get things like steps and water tanks damaged. I can recommend P&M Motor Engineers of Victoria St Nelson BB9 7HL phone no 01282 695461. The fitters are top dogs. It is worth you travelling to them they are situated just off the M65. They MOT up to 7.5 tons and length and height isn't a problem. They also carry out any type of servicing and are very familiar with Alko chassis and axles.

As well as BT the Ambulance service also do MOTs and servicing. If distance isn't an issue,Leisure Tech in Clitheroe have good reports.

By the way I was informed that 'Elf 'n' Safety have prohibited the use of pits because of fume build ups!?

Hi there, my local coach company used to do my mot and they used a pit. They were very good and of course were not after extra work if anything looked like an easy earner. Unfortunately they are too far away for you, but just hunt round your local independant coach company's.

Good luck, regards, Nigel.

P&M still use their pit, there has been no mention about h&s issues, maybe it's because of their garage layout. One part is for cars which uses a ramp and the other area is used for commercial vehicles and motorhomes which go over a pit. Blackburns bus garage at Whitebirk do all the commercial testing over a pit as well for all the hauliers in the area.

I’ve used the BT Fleet for MOTs, servicing and general maintenance and have found them to be very good. They are used to dealing with all sizes and weights of vehicle. I have always found the mechanics pleasant and willing to give advice without touting for business.

Cattwg :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived