Avtex TV and hard drive

grahamw

Bulletguy - 2012-08-21 9:54 AM

BIB brings me back to what I mentioned re. mp3 players which I know you don't want to do...but it's simple, cheap and quick. OK so I already had a couple of these before I bought the Avtex, but in total they give me 130gb and I simply plug into the TV and choose what to view. Cheap enough to pick up off fleabay if you go for an older model such as AV500.

Last 'para' is interesting. I will look at this when I get home and have a few hours to kill on a rainy day!

You never disclosed how you are connecting your mp3 player to your Avtex TV. Some mp3 players such as the Archos AV500 have a USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer. Some have a simple video and audio socket. How are you connecting it to the Avtex. What model Avtex have you got?

The only downside with an mp3 player is that it largely duplicates facilities I already have and its another device that needs to be charged which the USB stick or indeed the USB hard drive avoids.

grahamw - 2012-08-21 10:34 AM

You never disclosed how you are connecting your mp3 player to your Avtex TV. Some mp3 players such as the Archos AV500 have a USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer. Some have a simple video and audio socket. How are you connecting it to the Avtex.

Via the AV leads which come with both the player and the Avtex. A coupling unit off fleabay cost me 50p. Archos lead to coupling unit, then Avtex lead to TV.

What model Avtex have you got?

Link is in the thread.

The only downside with an mp3 player is that it largely duplicates facilities I already have....

Yep.......that's the general idea. Enables you to take movies from your home pc away with you in your van. I assumed that's what you wanted to do?

grahamw - 2012-08-21 10:34 AM....

and its another device that needs to be charged which the USB stick or indeed the USB hard drive avoids.

Don't you have a fag lighter socket in your van?

12v charging facilities in any van is not a luxury 'extra'.......it's an essential. There are seven in my van.

Bulletguy - 2012-08-21 7:36 PM

Via the AV leads which come with both the player and the Avtex. A coupling unit off fleabay cost me 50p. Archos lead to coupling unit, then Avtex lead to TV.

Thanks for the greater detail. You are using the SCART connector with adapter to connect your AV leads.

To be honest my main concern was to try and use what was present on the Avtex to deliver the viewing of movies without the clutter of other devices connected by cables. Charging devices is not an issue but experience tells me it would be nice if you could avoid it. Maybe the requirement of backing up my media collection should not have been part of the issue because its possibly sidetracked me a little and certainly complicated the issue.

By way of update I've been trying out a range of MPEG movies on a USB stick and to be honest the Avtex firmware seems inconsistent. Certain movies it has played and then for some reason it refuses to play them. Sometimes it will start to play a different movie to the one selected or after selecting a movie it will simply return back to the menu. This problem seems to relate to TV source material which has been converted to .mpg format. With this sort of performance I can't in all fairness see the use of the USB port as viable although the problem may relates to the conversion process to .mpg that I've used. I'll try and pursue this with Avtex but to date I had little response from them.

Certainly your idea of using an mp3 player is excellent and I have never suggested otherwise. Indeed one big advantage of using such a player might be its ability to play a wider range of filetypes if that's part of the specification. Little detail has been given by those people who responded to this thread about their frustration with the Avtex USB port so I've no idea whether they they got as far as actually playing movies via the USB port and encountered the same inconsistencies as I have.

Thanks for your interest in the thread Bulletguy.

grahamw - 2012-08-22 10:31 AM

Thanks for the greater detail. You are using the SCART connector with adapter to connect your AV leads.

No.......i'm using one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Triple-RCA-AV-Phono-Audio-Video-Coupler-Female-to-Female-Adapter-Connector-F-F-/110755003054?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item19c9833aae#ht_3597wt_1186

Due to the length of cables i'm able to operate my player like a TV remote (from the viewing seat).

Afraid the 'clutter of cables' is part of motorhoming. I have 12v charger units for laptop, camera, GPS, mp3 players, and TV......and that means lots of cables. Try as you might you cannot avoid them. In the home it's different. Any one of these items can be plugged into 240v and simply left, so you don't ever notice any 'clutter of cables'.

I'm not surprised at the lack of response from Avtex. It struck me as a company only interested in selling 'boxes'.....and expensive ones at that too. I phoned them but did not like their abrupt manner at all.

Archived