Eurotunnel Overnight Stay

starvin marvin

I'm looking to use my Tesco vouchers and book a crossing on the chunnel. I recall on the only other time I've used the tunnel that we overnighted at one of the terminals, but can't remember whether it was in the UK or France. Our timings on this occasion leaving the UK are that we'll be arriving after dark at Ashford. Previously we just parked up with some lorries after an attendent pointed us in the general direction of a "car park"

Anyone done that? Don't care if its a free camp in the UK or an Aire in France,

There's a good Truckstop called Nell's Café near Gravesend on the A2 - overnight for free, whether or not you use the café (but they do a brill breakfast, any time from 6.30).

We used it on the way home last month, since we were going on northwards, not straight back to Essex.

We also use our Tesco vouchers for the shuttle. We get a cheap evening crossing and then stay in Citie Europe overnight then move on in the morning. Do the same coming home, stay at CE and then catch a cheap morning shuttle home, with vouchers it can turn out quite cheap! :-D

Tracker - 2012-08-20 3:56 PM

Citie Europe used to have a reputation for thefts and break ins, apart from which it is hardly the quietest and most relaxing of venues - unless things have changed in the last couple of years?

The only time I've tried Citie Europe in a m/h I couldn't get in because of height barriers, plus I don't really fancy it. Surely there has to be something better?

Tony Jones - 2012-08-20 3:40 PM

There's a good Truckstop called Nell's Café near Gravesend on the A2 - overnight for free, whether or not you use the café (but they do a brill breakfast, any time from 6.30).

We used it on the way home last month, since we were going on northwards, not straight back to Essex.

We're coming down from the East Mids and use the M20, but thanks for the reply. Would that be a Weighidiotchers breakfast?

starvin marvin - 2012-08-20 4:18 PM

The only time I've tried Citie Europe in a m/h I couldn't get in because of height barriers, plus I don't really fancy it. Surely there has to be something better?

I couldn't even find a way to buy fuel at CE because of the height barriers. Went round-and-round in circles.

I agree - I don't care whether it's the first or last night of a holiday or how late/early I turn-up or leave, spending it in a hypermarket car park isn't on my to-do list.

Caroline - 2012-08-20 3:34 PM

hi

We do the same as you Tesco's and Tunnel, we stop at Cite Europe, there is motorhome parking in the carpark. The bonus is a spot of retail therapy. Have not stopped this side.

:->

Thanks for the reply, arriving at say 10.00pm and leaving at the crack of dawn....not much opportunity for wandering. Don't really fancy it as a stopover.

starvin marvin - 2012-08-20 4:20 PM

Tony Jones - 2012-08-20 3:40 PM

We're coming down from the East Mids and use the M20, but thanks for the reply. Would that be a Weighidiotchers breakfast?

It's still only just off your route - hop off straight after the Dartford bridge - and there are plenty of N/S connections between the 2 and the 20 so it's barely even a detour.

You can have whatever you want for breakfast, but hey, it's your last morning in England!!!

I can recommend The Pheasant Inn, just off the M4 at J13 take the A34 towards Oxford turn left after about 1/4 mile.  Not an official stop but good big car park and the landlord was happy to let us overnight as we bought meals there.  The food is excellent, not bar grub but good food.

Very quiet and lovely views across country.

Yes, we use the designated motorhome parking at Cite Europe - no problems. Good friendly spot to stop-over. However, agree - you can't get fuel there because of the height barrier.

At the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone they normally turn you away if you arrive much more than 2 hours before your sheduled departure. Although they will try to get you on an earlier train from 2 hours beforehand, if they've got the space. B-)

Madmaggott - 2012-08-20 6:02 PMI can recommend The Pheasant Inn, just off the M4 at J13 take the A34 towards Oxford turn left after about 1/4 mile.  Not an official stop but good big car park and the landlord was happy to let us overnight as we bought meals there.  The food is excellent, not bar grub but good food.

Very quiet and lovely views across country.

If he's coming from the East Midlands via the M20, why would he stop at the Pheasant Inn off the M4?I

Guest pelmetman

We've stopped a couple of time's overnight at Citie de Europe :D.............admittedly it was at Christmas and freezing and any self respecting scumbag would of been somewhere warmer ;-).....

Now days we head for Equihen Plage, not far from the chunnel ;-).........but try to avoid the short cut over the worst road in Europe 8-) ........

WE usually get an early evening crossing .4weeks ago we stayed overnight down on the Yacht basin along with 50 other vans 7e a night ,it is a lot quieter than citie europe now they have changed the tunnel road system and no woosh woosh of a wind turbine. we fuel up at the Achen supermarket easy to get in and out self serve or pay at the booth We will be there again in 10 days time

Step 1 - Armed with a book of Aires and a sat nav, spend a little time before you next you return to locate and view an Aire or three not too far from Calais or Dunkerque in the right general direction.

Step 2 - Store those you like - that usually means spacious, easy access day or night and free - in your sat nav.

Step 3 - Get an evening or night crossing which are generally cheaper and quieter anyway!

Step 4 - Then whenever you arrive, even after dark it is so easy to tap on the sat nav favourite and go straight to where you know you can park up safely and in peace and quiet for the rest of the night.

Step 5 - After a good night's kip arise duly refreshed and get on with your journey without the need to faff about with ferries etc.

Simples!!

ham - 2012-08-20 8:50 PM

WE usually get an early evening crossing .4weeks ago we stayed overnight down on the Yacht basin along with 50 other vans 7e a night ,it is a lot quieter than citie europe now they have changed the tunnel road system and no woosh woosh of a wind turbine. we fuel up at the Achen supermarket easy to get in and out self serve or pay at the booth We will be there again in 10 days time

That sounds more like it. Which yacht basin is it? Do you have the GPS Co-ords? Its not Le Touquet is it?

Do you know where the Aire on the Calais sea front is ? the Yacht basin it is back along the road on the way into town it is just a big tarmac car park along side the yacht basin the Holiday inn is across the road from the carpark address is 6 Boulevard des Alliés, 62100 Calais, France the co ordinates are 50 57’ 39 .33” N 50 44’.96” E

They usually come around twice in the evening and once early morning to collect 7e, Or if you are Honest you can call at the Campsite down the road and pay there.

Try and avoid the main street thro Calais town as they are relaying the roads and pavements and shut down the road giving diversions around the side streets. i use junction 44 straight across and follow the road down to the seafront Hope this is of use as it sounds a bit confusing but it is easy to get to If you go to Google earth put in the holiday in calais and you will see the yacht basin

Archived