Dover-Overnight stay

Hawcara

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago no problem. Although motorhomes are supposed to park-up for the night at the end of the road nearest the marina, they were all parked further along in front of the flats where it's marked as not being allowed on the road signs! 8-)

We decided to go in the proper area of the road (according to the signs) and were there on our todd for most of the time! We did ask a couple of coppers if it was okay to stay where we were parked which they said it was, I asked about the ones in the 'wrong' place and they said they are always there and they've never seen anyone get a fine for parking overnight in the 'wrong' spot. :-S

The parking fees start at 9.00 am now, not 8.00 am (double check when you get there in case they've changed it again!) so you shouldn't have to move off too early and can enjoy your cuppa in bed! :D

Just a thought, if you are going via Canterbury, the park and ride on the SOUTH EAST side (New Dover Road CT1 3EJ) has an area specifically for motorhomes to stay overnight, with water and waste disposal. We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and it was very nice - it costs £2.50 for 24 hours and if you have the time that includes the return bus fare into Canterbury itself for driver and 5 passengers! Just make sure you get the Canterbury town centre bus and not the hospital bus which runs from the same place!

Mel B - 2012-08-20 9:21 PM

We did ask a couple of coppers if it was okay to stay where we were parked which they said it was, I asked about the ones in the 'wrong' place and they said they are always there and they've never seen anyone get a fine for parking overnight in the 'wrong' spot. :-S

:D

Sorry Mel - people are fined - my Mum lives in those flats, and if they complain, the harbour Police come out and do impose fines. I'm afraid people do misuse the gardens as loos and naturally the residents get up tight & report them. Best stay on the official bits near the clock tower & marina.

Mel B - 2012-08-20 9:38 PM

Just a thought, if you are going via Canterbury, the park and ride on the SOUTH EAST side (New Dover Road CT1 3EJ) has an area specifically for motorhomes to stay overnight, with water and waste disposal. We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and it was very nice - it costs £2.50 for 24 hours and if you have the time that includes the return bus fare into Canterbury itself for driver and 5 passengers! Just make sure you get the Canterbury town centre bus and not the hospital bus which runs from the same place!

If that's the route, I posted this on Marvin's "Eurotunnel overnight" thread, may be helpful:

There's a good Truckstop called Nell's Café near Gravesend on the A2 - overnight for free, whether or not you use the café (but they do a brill breakfast, any time from 6.30).

We used it on the way home last month, since we were going on northwards, not straight back to Essex.

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago no problem. Although motorhomes are supposed to park-up for the night at the end of the road nearest the marina, they were all parked further along in front of the flats where it's marked as not being allowed on the road signs! 8-)

We decided to go in the proper area of the road (according to the signs) and were there on our todd for most of the time! We did ask a couple of coppers if it was okay to stay where we were parked which they said it was, I asked about the ones in the 'wrong' place and they said they are always there and they've never seen anyone get a fine for parking overnight in the 'wrong' spot. :-S

The parking fees start at 9.00 am now, not 8.00 am (double check when you get there in case they've changed it again!) so you shouldn't have to move off too early and can enjoy your cuppa in bed! :D

laimeduck - 2012-08-20 11:11 PM

Sorry Mel - people are fined - my Mum lives in those flats, and if they complain, the harbour Police come out and do impose fines. I'm afraid people do misuse the gardens as loos and naturally the residents get up tight & report them. Best stay on the official bits near the clock tower & marina.

Three years ago I parked up there on an 'official bit' after a horrendous detour off the M20 due to an accident or something. It was very late when I arrived at Dover and I woke to rain lashing down like mad, but that still didn't stop one of Dover's jobsworthy parkies slapping a ticket on my screen.....despite being the only campervan there, causing no obstruction and no problem to anyone.

I was glad to see the back of the UK and get across the water to countries where tolerance, sense and acceptance are 'the norm' instead of the whinging whining 'nanny state' of the UK.

Incidentally LD, for one i've never seen or known of Camper/MH folk pissing in someone else's garden. Maybe the residents could find something else to occupy their minds with instead of whining about a few MH's parked on a public road. Perhaps complain about the noise the seagulls make or the waves from the sea? *-)

Personally I wouldn't park up anywhere in Dover and I also refuse to give the town any business after my 'experience'.

Dover folk certainly know how to 'kill' a town.

Bulletguy - 2012-08-21 12:49 PM

laimeduck - 2012-08-20 11:11 PM

Three years ago I parked up there on an 'official bit' after a horrendous detour off the M20 due to an accident or something. It was very late when I arrived at Dover and I woke to rain lashing down like mad, but that still didn't stop one of Dover's jobsworthy parkies slapping a ticket on my screen.....despite being the only campervan there, causing no obstruction and no problem to anyone.

I was glad to see the back of the UK and get across the water to countries where tolerance, sense and acceptance are 'the norm' instead of the whinging whining 'nanny state' of the UK.

Incidentally LD, for one i've never seen or known of Camper/MH folk pissing in someone else's garden. Maybe the residents could find something else to occupy their minds with instead of whining about a few MH's parked on a public road. Perhaps complain about the noise the seagulls make or the waves from the sea? *-)

Personally I wouldn't park up anywhere in Dover and I also refuse to give the town any business after my 'experience'.

Dover folk certainly know how to 'kill' a town.

I gather you don't like Dover then?

Over the years I while sitting on my Mother's balcony late at night I have seen the occupants of both motorhomes & caravans disappearing into the shrubbery with a toilet roll. Maybe these miscreants could find somewhere else to drop their loads & leave the municipal gardens alone.

laimeduck - 2012-08-21 1:41 PM

I gather you don't like Dover then?

I don't like the way it's run......and neither do the small shop owners there.

When I went into the town to pay this potty fine I vented off at an electrical dealer I bought an extension lead from. He told me, "just look around you.....shops half empty or closing down, parking wardens patrol the streets like wild dogs looking to grab money....only place you can shop freely without these pests is Morrisons".

For me it's just a Port that I use when I cross the Channel. I don't bother spending any money there now. No idea of the rates people pay to live there but good luck to 'em....they will be paying a lot more as the town declines. There is a vast amount of business passing through which they are chasing away through their own stupidity.

I'm intrigued ...and a little confused...by comments made that it is illegal to park during the night in Marine Parade. We've overnighted there many times over the past few years (usually in front of the Flats), and intend to do so at the end of the month. A browse on some other Forums shows that many many other m/homers do likewise.

Now I know that doesn't make it legal, but when (as has happened to us) the local patrolling Police are asked if it IS legal and they confirm it is, then surely this adds some credence to the fact.

So can someone tell me please what exactly is the nature of the illegality? What signs are displayed stating it is illegal for m/homes to "overnight"?. ( a photo would be helpful) Where exactly are they? I am aware that there are signs that state that tickets have to be purchased if parked between certain times (6pm and 9am rings a bell), which surely suggests that parking during those times IS legal.

I seem to recollect from memory that there are signs indicating that caravans are not allowed (may have got that wrong) although of course many of us have seen them parked.

Finally where exactly by the Marina is parking overnight permitted (referred to in a previous Post) Is this a car park? Are there signs specifically allowing it?

(I also find it difficult to accept that some sort of parking "fines" are imposed by "Harbour Police". Marine Parade is a Public Road and as such is " policed " by either Kent County Constabulary, or Dover Council's Parking Enforcement people.

Thanks for any clarification

Sophie - 2012-08-22 10:39 PM

(I also find it difficult to accept that some sort of parking "fines" are imposed by "Harbour Police". Marine Parade is a Public Road and as such is " policed " by either Kent County Constabulary, or Dover Council's Parking Enforcement people.

Thanks for any clarification

Sophie, sorry, you should accept it. Have a look at this link - they have full powers all along the front and are active.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Dover_Police

So the important thing is to make sure you don't break the rules.

As you come in (behind the Premier Inn) the first section has clear signs prohibiting motorhomes (they CAN do that, you've not crossed the Channel yet!).

So you keep driving, until you come to the section where the signs are different - showing a pay & display rate for the daytime, but no charge overnight, and NO BAN ON MOTORHOMES.

Although we all keep referring to "Marine Parade" (which is what it's called as you enter), I've just been looking at Google Maps and it looks as if the "legal" part is actually called Waterloo Crescent.

Notalottapeople know that!!

Tony Jones - 2012-08-23 12:21 PM

So the important thing is to make sure you don't break the rules.

As you come in (behind the Premier Inn) the first section has clear signs prohibiting motorhomes (they CAN do that, you've not crossed the Channel yet!).

So you keep driving, until you come to the section where the signs are different - showing a pay & display rate for the daytime, but no charge overnight, and NO BAN ON MOTORHOMES.

Although we all keep referring to "Marine Parade" (which is what it's called as you enter), I've just been looking at Google Maps and it looks as if the "legal" part is actually called Waterloo Crescent.

Notalottapeople know that!!

I knew that Tony, in fact I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before but everyone calls it Marine Parade! Ah-ha, here it is:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18701&posts=10

You MUST make sure that you park in the correct area at Dover, it clearly shows on the signs which bits you are permitted to stop in and which you aren't and when it is free and the times it has to be paid for. Just because the coppers told me they hadn't been aware of anyone being fined, it didn't mean it doesn't happen and it certainly does not make it LEGAL to park in the 'banned' area. Also, to be perfectly frank, I quite agree with the residents of the flats, quite apart from the disgusting toilet habits of some, I don't see why the residents should have to put up with a load of motorhomes parked out in front of them spoiling their view - no-one on here would like it so why should they? :-S

When we were there we chose to remain 'legal', even though we were on our own, rather than join the throng of 'illegal' and IMV very inconsiderate motorhomers - I would imagine a lot of them were 'lemmings' and just followed the crowd. It is a real privileged to be allowed to overnight there (in the correct place) but if it consistently gets abused at some point it may be withdrawn altogether which would affect an awful lot of motorhomers.

Thinking of parking there next week but just looked at Google Maps Street View (might be out of date) but it appears to me that some signs indicate cars and motorcycles only 'at any time' and other signs (well beyond the transition into Waterloo crescent) seem to stipulate 'cars and caravans' at any time. The picture of a caravan appears on the sign but no mention that Motorhomes per se are allowed.

Obviously, I must have this wrong but are the signs as i have seen on Street View? A bit confused.

Sorry to say I am getting a bit confused here and, as I am looking to park in Dover next Monday night, I want to be sure we park in the correct area. Could anyone who knows the area give a few more precise directions as to where it is legal to park coming from the M25 / M2 direction or what address should be put into the sat nav please? Thanks

bob

This is what I said on the thread that I posted a link to above which explains it all:

For an overnight stop at Dover:

We've used Dover a lot, we use Marine Parade/Waterloo Crescent/The Esplanade (they all run into each other).

Dover parking

Directions from the main road leading down to the port - when you get to the bottom of the road and the large roundabout (with the port on your right), turn left on to the main road into Dover itself (dual carriageway, you'll go through a set of junction traffic lights then go straight on again at the next roundabout. You'll pass a road on your left with a width restriction, now continue along and take the next left turning into Wellesley Road and at the end is Marine Parade/Waterloo Crescent/The Esplanade. Turn RIGHT and park along that bit along with the other vans that'll no doubt be there. Last time we were there the council had put up signs to show that motorhomes and caravans could park along that part overnight so you shouldn't have any problems.

The signs that I'm referring to show a caravan and that 'includes' motorhomes too.

As a rule of thumb - but check the signs!, - you can stay on the seaward side of Waterloo Crescent between the Clock tower ( near the old Hoverport or Seacat or Speed link terminal near the Western Docks) and the Best Western which is near Wellesley Rd. ( See BLUE Line in Picture)

The land side near the Clock Tower is reserved for coaches.

Marine Parade itself, (between the Best Western and the Premier Inn - where the municipal gardens and the big block of flats, "The Gateway") is for cars & motorbikes only. (See RED Line in Picture)

You WILL see parking in the wrong areas! But if you check the signs you will be warden/police & fine free!

(sorry about the pic quality but you should be able to work it out)

dover.jpg.7f22a2b6b7e7f811c7e952fd8d745ce9.jpg

Archived