Euro rate

Mike B.

Just realised we are going away next week and have not got a single cent in euros. Is the rate quoted for nationwide card based on getting money out from the hole in the wall in europe or buying from a Nationwide bank in UK please? Local moneyshop just quoted 1.2375 , better than Post Office 1.22

Thanks

bob

in my case, the rate (1.27) was hole in the wall for the N & P and goods (fuel, supermarkeet etc) for the nationwide, but im pretty sure the same rate applies to nationwide debit or credit card used at the hole in the wall.

(i think someone on here on a similar theme once said the nationwide rate is the standard visa rate??? ). im sure someone will come on and say thats right, or im talking rubbish!!!!

Bojitoes - 2012-08-23 11:49 AM

Just realised we are going away next week and have not got a single cent in euros. Is the rate quoted for nationwide card based on getting money out from the hole in the wall in europe or buying from a Nationwide bank in UK please? Local moneyshop just quoted 1.2375 , better than Post Office 1.22

Thanks

bob

No, it is the kind of rate (highly variable at present) you will get using a Nationwide credit card for purchases. You will be generally caned for using a hole in the wall for cash with a credit card, and caned a bit less hard for using a debit card.

Given a credit card with a good rate and zero extra charges paying by card is the best maxim, with cash used only as a reserve wherever necessary. Having said that, some countries are more "card friendly" than others (France probably best, Germany most conservative), and others (parts of Greece and Italy) will sometimes offer discounts for cash. I've just bought Euros (cash) online from the Post Office, delivered to home free, at 1.2350, which was good enough for me. :-)

Archived