Further to a previous post

nightrider

Further to a previous post of mine regarding buying under the counter tobacco from my local pound plus store, in the Manchester Evening News the other night was a report of an Asian shopkeeper who had 3 shops, he was selling under the counter baccy, someone grassed him up and he was fined £32,000 and jailed for 6 months.

Good job an' all. Greedy thieving toerag. He'd probably get flogged or worse in his homeland. Good idea to hit him where it hurts the most.

As an aside to this, we were at a car boot sale on Wednesday and one of the sellers had been arrested and his stuff seized - it turned out that he had burgled a house the night before, making a real mess in the process, and was trying to flog on his stash. I don't know how the Police got to him so fast as you usually don't see them at the car boot sale so I assume they were given a tip off, probably by one of the regular stall holders/sellers. Hopefully he'll be put away for a long time. >:-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter James

Amazing how many people there are in prison for selling alcohol or tobacco brought across from France.

The cost to the British economy of keeping a huge customs service, as well as prisons, police, courts etc, plus the loss of tax revenue because its bought in France instead of Britain, must be enourmous. The personal cost to the people involved, often otherwise decent and law avbiding people, even more.

Yet the Governments 'solution' to alcoholism seems to be to raise the price duifferential between Britain and the rest of Europe even further!!

The only people I can see who will benefit from this are the likes of the booze warehouses in Calais.

I neither smoke or drink because I am not so sad that I need tobacco or alcohol to take my mind to another place. I am happy where I am.

But I still don't believe the solution to the sad problem of alcohol addiction is raising the price.

On this point Peter - I am in total agreement with you.

That said - the rules are no longer as severe for someone bringing in stuff from the EU thanks to an EU Court ruling that said the UK Government was wrong as we are all EU citizens.

The smuggled stuff these daya ismore from the old soviet states and is generally highly dangerous. There is also a huge amount of dangerous stuff masquerading as proper product that comes in from China.

Peter James - 2012-09-07 8:08 AM

Amazing how many people there are in prison for selling alcohol or tobacco brought across from France.

The cost to the British economy of keeping a huge customs service, as well as prisons, police, courts etc, plus the loss of tax revenue because its bought in France instead of Britain, must be enourmous. The personal cost to the people involved, often otherwise decent and law avbiding people, even more.

Yet the Governments 'solution' to alcoholism seems to be to raise the price duifferential between Britain and the rest of Europe even further!!

The only people I can see who will benefit from this are the likes of the booze warehouses in Calais.

I neither smoke or drink because I am not so sad that I need tobacco or alcohol to take my mind to another place. I am happy where I am.

But I still don't believe the solution to the sad problem of alcohol addiction is raising the price.

But your'e sad enough to feel the need to be nasty to those of us that do either drink or smoke. Not neccessary to make your point.

Though you must be in the minority where you live, I thought all scots were piss artists.

If you find that comment offensive, it's no more so than yours, regarding smoking and drinking.

Although I have cut my cigs down by two thirds, they come from Luxembourg so that country gets the tax. And if I could get the fuel from there, then they would get that tax to.

How many on here would do the same I wonder.

Tax things to death and people will always find other ways. I look at it in the light that the government are greedy and incompetent, and start crying that if people do what I do it's depriving them of financing the hospital's, OAP's etc (always a good sob story), I have a different view, I'm trying to deprive them and all their quangos, gold plated pensions, wages that exceed the PM's and expenses etc. Then getting jobs with private companies who they helped when in power.

We are all in this together.....well some ain't.

Cut the Tax to a reasonable level and i'll play by the rules. Try to screw the ar*se of me and I'll play by diffrent rules.

Dave

Guest Peter James
peter - 2012-09-07 10:20 AM

Peter James - 2012-09-07 8:08 AM

But your'e sad enough to feel the need to be nasty to those of us that do either drink or smoke. Not neccessary to make your point.

Though you must be in the minority where you live, I thought all scots were piss artists.

If you find that comment offensive, it's no more so than yours, regarding smoking and drinking.

Sorryy if you found it offensive Peter. I don't mean to be nasty, but now you mention it I have read it again and can see it could be taken that way because some people these days take the word 'sad' as an insult. So I should have said 'unhappy' instead.

I find mind altering drugs like alcohol take me to another place.

My thoughts are if we are happy where we are why would we want alcohol to take us anywhere else?

Guest Peter James
CliveH - 2012-09-07 8:57 AM

On this point Peter - I am in total agreement with you.

That said - the rules are no longer as severe for someone bringing in stuff from the EU thanks to an EU Court ruling that said the UK Government was wrong as we are all EU citizens.

The smuggled stuff these daya ismore from the old soviet states and is generally highly dangerous. There is also a huge amount of dangerous stuff masquerading as proper product that comes in from China.

Well as I understand it, you can bring in as much as you like providing you can convince the tax collectors its for your own consumption. If they don't believe you they have enourmous powers - more than the police, so seize your vehicle and goods, freeze your bank account, and lock you up. Of course you can take them to court but at your own expense, whilst they are funded by the bottomless pockets of the taxpayer.

The tax collectors were originally given their powers by the Monarch who as they provided his income thought them more important than the police, because he had his own police force with unlimited powers to protect himself - the other police were only there to protect the plebs.

In any case, who isn't going to be tempted to bring a bit back for friends? Then its an easy road to go down from there.

Guest Peter James

PS: I should add I was not thinking of motorhomers, most of whom do infrequent trips and have little spare payload. Look in the booze warehouses and you see its mostly lorry drivers, some of whom do up to 3 return trips a week across the channel. There are so many at it the tax collectors can't stop them all. Typically the 'justice' system works by making an example of the tiny unfortunate minority who get caught.

Basically decent working men who are sent to prison (at huge taxpayer expense) and lose everything through it. I have heard of several.

Whenever I hear some politician talking of increasing alcohol prices to stop binge drinking, I listen intently to hear their answer to this problem of the flood of cheap booze from across the channel. But they simply ignore it!!

Of course the best thing to do would be to look at what makes people unhappy enough to want to escape from reality through alcohol. But that may be difficult. Any sleazy politician can just increase the tax on it, in the hope that simpletons will see the 'logic' of it. Even though that 'logic' is deeply flawed.

Peter James - 2012-09-08 8:14 AM

PS: I should add I was not thinking of motorhomers, most of whom do infrequent trips and have little spare payload. Look in the booze warehouses and you see its mostly lorry drivers, some of whom do up to 3 return trips a week across the channel. There are so many at it the tax collectors can't stop them all. Typically the 'justice' system works by making an example of the tiny unfortunate minority who get caught.

Basically decent working men who are sent to prison (at huge taxpayer expense) and lose everything through it. I have heard of several.

Whenever I hear some politician talking of increasing alcohol prices to stop binge drinking, I listen intently to hear their answer to this problem of the flood of cheap booze from across the channel. But they simply ignore it!!

Of course the best thing to do would be to look at what makes people unhappy enough to want to escape from reality through alcohol. But that may be difficult. Any sleazy politician can just increase the tax on it, in the hope that simpletons will see the 'logic' of it. Even though that 'logic' is deeply flawed.

Is there a 'flood of cheap booze from across the Channel?' I heard that some of the booze warehouses in Calais were closing due to lack of sales and the supermarkets here were selling multi packs at prices attractive enough to not make the Channel trip worthwhile. I do agree that if you fancy some decent claret or Burgundy then a day trip could be worth it, but I doubt cases of beer cut it anymore. The problem is not the price of alcohol as increasing it will merely allow bootleggers to intervene, but stopping people slamming it down like there is no tomorrow, whcih for some will be the case. When night clubs are offering all drinks for £1 all night then no wonder the young 'uns pour out totally bloottered. I would prefer bringing back 'closing times' and cutting back the nightclubs. It would at least reduce the burden on A&E Depts. Penalising oldies who may have a bottle of wine at home is not the answer

Guest Peter James
Dave225 - 2012-09-09 3:47 PM

When night clubs are offering all drinks for £1 all night then no wonder the young 'uns pour out totally bloottered. I would prefer bringing back 'closing times' and cutting back the nightclubs. It would at least reduce the burden on A&E Depts. Penalising oldies who may have a bottle of wine at home is not the answer

Cheaper still in Spain, Italy etc but the only drunks I've seen are British

Guest Peter James
Dave225 - 2012-09-09 3:47 PM

I would prefer bringing back 'closing times'

As I recall, the reason opening times were extended was because it was pointed out that across the channel they had much longer opening hours, and less problems with drunkeness.

The last 30 years in Brirtain has seen a steady increase in the gap between rich and poor.

When you look at other developed nations around the world, you see that as inequality increases, crime and alcoholism increases with it. The evidence is overwhelming. But the Government chooses to ignore it because it doesn't suit their politics. They prefer to pay hack 'consultants' and 'experts' to produce reports that tell them what they want to hear. Increase alcohol prices, although they are already higher than most of Europe. Lock em up for longer, even though Britain already has a greater percentage of their population in prison than anywhere else in Europe.

As far as I am concerned Britain is well and truly broken, all the old time values have gone by the board. So what can you do? fight your own corner and dont let the barstewards grind you down, law and order? dont make me larf.

Politicians, nothing but greedy grasping self interested scumbags everyone of them, royalty, an out dated institution of a priveleged family who dont know what the real world is like, immigrants, break our laws within the first ten years of being allowed in the country then expect to be deported good style.

Human rights, b******s the EU b******s junk it.

My bible is the book written by Robert Tressell a book that makes me weep whenever I read it.

knight of the road - 2012-09-11 11:27 AM

As far as I am concerned Britain is well and truly broken, all the old time values have gone by the board. So what can you do? fight your own corner and dont let the barstewards grind you down, law and order? dont make me larf.

Politicians, nothing but greedy grasping self interested scumbags everyone of them, royalty, an out dated institution of a priveleged family who dont know what the real world is like, immigrants, break our laws within the first ten years of being allowed in the country then expect to be deported good style.

My bible is the book written by Robert Tressell a book that makes me weep whenever I read it.

Ooops, someone didn't have their Weetabix for breakfast today. However, I tend to agree with your points.

Come on Malc it's not all doom and gloom , at least we had a nice summer .

You're not head of the U.K. Tourist Board are you ?

:-|

Although we are deep in the mire I have no desire to live anywhere else but the country I was born in and I have no doubt we will climb out of this pit of despair, I have no financial problems myself its not me I am concerned about its all the young jobless kids that are my priority.

What hopes and dreams have they got? Sweet FA thats what.

Malc , a hell of a lot of those jobless youngsters dont want to work . I see it every day in an area we rent a couple of houses . There too busy drinking there tins and wine and smoking there seven quid a packet fags . Iv'e got a young lass in a house now on benefits and after she gets her benefits , money off ex , child tax credits she reckons she has after living costs got 150.00 spare every week , unbelievable and where paying for that . Mum has kid Saturday night so she can go out and they live on takeaway's all week , Iv'e been in the house and the cooker does not get used . Sorry moan over .

I smoke it is my one vice, I don`t drink. I go to Adinkerke twice a year and have done for many years, to get 3kg of Drum. It costs me £4.35 a pouch in Belgium, compared to £14.98 in Tesco. So times them figures by sixty and you will see the saving is a quiet a bit. It is part of why we are in the EU , the free passage of goods. It is for personal use and I have never sold a pouch or offered a pouch to anyone.

Gary

Archived