2006 Bessacar Rear light cluster

Bolly1965

We bought a 2006 Bessacarr E765 a couple of months ago. Yesterday the OH noticed there were no reversing lights. A quick google points strongly to the switch on the gearbox as the reversing camera doesn't kick in either. I'm going to get a garage to replace the switch.

I've done a check round the van and replaced some marker lights, which were out and the fittings were badly corroded.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is only one or is there two rear fog lamps? The nearside lens does not light up.

The clusters each have different fixings - which look like a nightmare to remove - one side has fixings with a small plastic plug on the inside (I assume this has to be removed to get at a screw) The other side has fixings about 2 centimeter in diamiter with a small hole in the centre (I have no clue how these come off)

Any help would be appreciated

Bolly1965 - 2012-08-26 8:43 AM

Mine's definitely got lenses for both on each side

Yes! but you have an older van probably built (type approved) before lighting regulations changed and only one fog light is fitted so they do not mask operation of both the brake lights. It was deemed confusing and unsafe to have have two rear fog lights sometime during the 90's.

I suspect your rear lights may be similar to the picture below.

If so, they consist of mounting units produced by/for and peculiar to Bessacarr, but containing (probably) Hella or (possibly) Jokon individual light units.

As such, Bessacarr can populate the lighting with whatever lamps they wish.

With "off-the-shelf" units it is conventional to have "handed" slightly different units, with the fog light on the offside, and the reversing lamp on the nearside.

For symmetry, however, (or to easily allow for reversing lighting on each side) Bessacarr may have chosen to mount the same number and type of lights on both sides.

AFAIK, whilst the foglamp is a legal requirement and should be on the offside (if there is one), there is no restriction on having one on both sides.

Hence, Bessacarr may have mounted a fog lamp on both sides, and may or may not have wired the nearside one up. Again, AFAIK, if the offside one is the one that is working, you are legal.

(I recall having at least one new car which was fully equipped with rear fog lights on both sides, but didn't have a bulb in the nearside unit!).

I can't help with the unit removal, but if any individual lights need replacement, you are looking for a Hella (or Jokon) dealer - though some of the usual motorcaravan spares places stock a limited number of them.

E745.jpg.108ae6a0788d84cb1aca33bf4b5de272.jpg

Just checked, oops, your right, you can fit one or two fog lamps but if one is fitted must be on the offside. It seems to be an OEM standard by some manufactorers to just fit one ( reducing cost) as they deem safer (excuse for cutting costs).

Sorry, I was wrong.

Jon

Brambles - 2012-08-26 10:24 AM

Just checked, oops, your right, you can fit one or two fog lamps but if one is fitted must be on the offside. It seems to be an OEM standard by some manufactorers to just fit one ( reducing cost) as they deem safer (excuse for cutting costs).

Sorry, I was wrong.

Jon

.....what I'm not sure about, Jon, is whether the vehicle should pass the MOT test with two lights fitted, but only the offside one working.

My interpretation is that it would, as it seems that for fog lights it is not mandatory for all (both) those fitted to work, but it is mandatory to have one working either on the centre-line, or to the offside.

....and, whilst there appears to be some debate about it, I don't think the vehicle will fail the MOT test if the reversing lights aren't working (as, for the purposes of the MOT, rather than homologation, reversing lights don't appear to be mandatory, and are therefore not part of the test).

Robinhood - 2012-08-26 10:50 AM

Brambles - 2012-08-26 10:24 AM

Sorry, I was wrong.

Jon

.....what I'm not sure about, Jon, is whether the vehicle should pass the MOT test with two lights fitted, but only the offside one working.

My interpretation is that it would, as it seems that for fog lights it is not mandatory for all (both) those fitted to work, but it is mandatory to have one working either on the centre-line, or to the offside.

....and, whilst there appears to be some debate about it, I don't think the vehicle will fail the MOT test if the reversing lights aren't working (as, for the purposes of the MOT, rather than homologation, reversing lights don't appear to be mandatory, and are therefore not part of the test).

The MOT Testing Guides can be viewed here

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

Evidently the MOT rear fog-light inspection is confined to the one rear fog-lamp which is required to be fitted to the vehicle's centre or offside. Consequently, If the vehicle happens to have a 2nd rear fog-lamps on the nearside (as my Hobby does), this lamp is not inspected during the MOT test, so whether it functions or not is immaterial.

I've owned vehicles with fully operational rear fog-lamps on the nearside and offside, with fog-lamps on nearside and offside with wiring to both but with 'silvering' on only the offside lamp's reflector, and with fog-lamps on nearside and offside but with no bulb-holder in the nearside lamp.

Archived