Go Motorhoming Europe

Don Madge

I've spent the last two days reading a recently published book "Go Motorhoming Europe" (details at http://www.go-motorhoming.co.uk/ ) I have never come across a book with so much useful information on motorhoming, If you are thinking of buying a motorhome for either full timing or just touring this book will point you in the right direction. The authors have been there, done that and published the book. It covers a very wide area with no nonsense, light hearted down to earth advice. One chapter in particular is liable to ruffle a few feathers in certain quarters. It answers some questions that people sometimes ask (or would like to ask) but, many decline to answer in detail. It covers almost all the questions the inexperienced/first timer would ask. I have no connections with the authors or the publishers the book was passed on to me by a friend for an opinion. Safe travelling Don

Don

If you do a forum search, under "buying abroad", or just look back to page 2, you'll find a thread from "Emmay" on 4 May this year in which the (I think) author of Go Motorhoming Europe gives his product a gentle "puff".

The last posting under that thread is a query from me relating to a few of the specifics of importing from Germany, which to date remains unanswered.  Having read the book yourself, would you be prepared to say if the questions I posed are, in fact, answered?

I ask, because having read an extract from the book on the "Go Motorhoming" website forum, the content seemed a bit long on generalisation and short on specifics compared, for example, to Mel Eastburn's buying abroad guide.  However, I am reluctant to rush to judgement on such a partial view.

Since the book is being promoted by its authors on this forum, albeit subtly, I thought your view on some of the detail might be of wider interest.  (I am not seeking the answers to my questions, incidentally, for which I assume the author would prefer me to buy his book, just to know if the detailed answers are therein.)  I may then even buy a copy!

Regards and thanks

Brian, I only had the book for just over two days and unfortunately I posted it back this morning or I would have had a look to see if it answered your questions. I can't recall the depth of the info on importing from Germany but knowing Mel quite well I would think you would be hard pushed to better his info. I was not aware that the author had given his book a gentle "puff" (I like that expression), I've never met them and in fact I've never even heard of them until I read their book. I often "promote" sites on motorhome forums if I think they will be a benefit to the members. I honestly think this book will be a boon to the people thinking of taking up the pastime. It might even save some a great deal of stress after parting with vast sums of cash and then finding out motorhoming is not for them. Regards Don

Don

In general, I agree, and of course I haven't read the book, only the excerpt on the Go Motorhoming website.

However, I became a little uneasy with the excerpt when it came to the advice on importing, because it doesn't (at least that bit doesn't) touch upon the legel differences between contracts made in UK and those made in other countries.

For example, once the deposit (which may be 10% or so of the total price, so a substantial sum) is paid, it is virtually impossible to withdraw from the agreement to purchase.  It is taken to be a legally binding contract.

Also, credit card deposits (if accepted) are unlikely to provide cover for the risk of the trader going bust with your deposit, because the total cost of a motorhome (which is taken to be the subject of the agreement, even if only the deposit is paid by card) generally exceeds the sum the Consumer Credit Act sets as the maximum.  In such a case, as I understand it, if the total sum involved exceeds the CCA limit, there is no protection even for the deposit.  It therefore seems imperative that the deal is made in person, after having had a look around the dealer's premises, and after at least having checked how long he has been trading.

Of course, there can be no guarantees, but you do need to do something a bit more that a web search and exchange of emails before you send off your hard earned, which was what the excerpt seemed to be suggesting would suffice.

After all, if you order a new van with base vehicle and converter's extras you may have to shell out your deposit 3, 4, or more months before delivery.  You need that trader to stay afloat with your £3,000 or so of deposit!

If you're merely going to take a currently available stock vehicle then you might not have the worry of traders disappearing, but I'd still say view before you leap.  I've see one or two dealerships in France that place glossy adverts in the mags, and have impressive websites, but when visited turned out to be little more than a portacabin on an unsurfaced parking lot. 

That may just indicate the dealer keeps his costs to the minimum: even so he won't be fitting your accessories in a workshop, 'cause there ain't one!  On the other hand, it may indicate that he won't be there next week!

I know which option my suspicious nature tends to suspect. 

Perhaps the author, who contributes to this forum, could comment on the relationship between the excerpt and the book?  I assume his intention is for the excerpt to showcase the book, so it may just be that a later chapter expands on all the necessary cautions, and I have simply gained a misleading impression.

Regards to all

MMM forum With reference to Brian Kirby's questions/statements above. We have written Go Motorhoming Europe to provide real, qualified, and definitive answers, so that people intending to buy, use and enjoy motorhomes can do exactly that. We set out to go full timing about five years ago carrying out intensive research for eighteen months. Having tried out one motorhome (RV) and car outfit we then decided to import from Germany. At the time information was scarce not only about importing but just about everything else. We believe that we have written “the book” that does provide “the answers” we all have asked at some time. When writing a reference book one tries to ensure that all the facts are correct, but with a dynamic subject like motorhoming things change fast. We have attempted to answer every conceivable question about motorhoming from first desires to selling when the time comes. Importing is a small section of the book but does cover most aspects, not forgetting that anyone buying Go Motorhoming also buys access to the authors, who will attempt to answer any unanswered questions. To date only one reader has contacted us for dealer recomendations, presumably this means we have achieved our objective and have indeed answered their individual questions within the text. At the time of writing it had been nearly four years since we had imported, so to ensure we were up to date and to release some money to launch the book we sold our Swift. The content Brian refers to on our website www.go-motorhoming.co.uk and both the forum www.go-motorhoming/forum and supporting web log www.go-motorhoming.blogspot.com has been written post book printing and are indeed there as part of our marketing strategy so that both aspiring and experienced motorhomers have the opportunity to get an idea of the books content. This said you might wish to buy our book so that you can make your own judgement and indeed contribute to our forum section that is titled Book Reviews. From a ‘little puff’ a great wind blows that sets the sales of Go Motorhoming through the ripples and mist that separates us from the continent. We would like to take this opportunity to thank Don Madge on this forum (thank you Don for your selfless comments) we were elated to see his glowing recommendation, quite gratifying to have a recognised experienced motorhomer reward you for your toils. Go Motorhoming Enjoy your Motorhoming

Thank you for your lengthy reply. 

It is, I suppose, inevitable that by the date of publication some of the material in such a book will be overtaken by events. 

A little like writing technical textbooks, it is necessary to continually revise and update the material, or add addenda, to keep the published material relevant.  If handling this singlehanded, it must be a full time occupation for you.  I very much admire your courage and perserverance.

Regards

Archived