Gas Cooker Ignition

PJay

Hi All

We have simular problem to the Fridge Thread.

Cooker ignition is a problem. Having trouble lighting the top of cooker (Oven/Grill no problem) I have to hold the nob in for a VERY long time to get a light, then it often takes several goes, to get it to work. OH has cleaned all the jets, still not right. Any one got any ideas as to what else to do?

We may have to take van to one of the dealers, to get it checked , ( dealers few and far between in this area ) I can manage , as have an electric plate on cooker, which I mainly use, but occasionally need to use more than one hob, hope to go over to France end of next month, so would like to get it sorted, if possible

PJay

David

That does not work, as the gas will not stay on. I have tried using matches, My husband seems to be able to make it work, after a few tries. It.'s one of those annoying faults, but still must get it sorted

Jon

can't remember the make ( van not kept at home) It is 6 years old, so expect some things to wear out. We had thought that may be the problem. Is it easy to replace ? , or would we need to get a registered dealer to fix it? Husband very handy (retired engineer) so could probably do it

PJay

Jon

can't remember the make ( van not kept at home) It is 6 years old, so expect some things to wear out. We had thought that may be the problem. Is it easy to replace ? , or would we need to get a registered dealer to fix it? Husband very handy (retired engineer) so could probably do it

PJay

Sorry double post (Delayed action!)

How straightforward it will be to carry out work on a gas-hob will depend on the make/model of hob and how it has been installed. As your husband is "very handy" and has an engineering background, he should be able to make a realistic value-judgement regarding the advisability of attempting a DIY repair or having the work done professionally. If there's any doubt about DIYing a task (particularly if the task involves a gas appliance) it would be best to employ a professional. Basically, if there's a need to ask "how easy will this be?", you should think very carefully before attempting it.

....in agreeing with Derek's post above, I hesitate to potentially add a little more complexity to the job.

OE thermocouples (i.e. the specific part for the device) are often quite expensive. I've had a quick look at Cramer and Smev hob parts, and the prices appear to be quite high.

Depending on the fitting (some twin-wire items would appear to be a challenge) it may be possible to buy a "universal thermocouple" (i.e. not an OE part) that will do the job just as well, and at a fraction of the price.

The length and the method of terminating it in the device are the critical items (and many "universal" ones come with a variety of fittings).

PJay - 2012-08-27 8:36 AM

David

That does not work, as the gas will not stay on. I have tried using matches, My husband seems to be able to make it work, after a few tries. It.'s one of those annoying faults, but still must get it sorted

Don't know what make of cooker you have, but on our now 14years old Caprice I had a similar problem. It turned out that when pushing the control knob in, due to wear inside the knob it was not fully depressing the FFD spindle so the valve was not being pressed onto the electromagnet. All that was needed was a small spacer inside the knob to hold it further away from the spindle and thus giving more clearance between the knob and the cooker facia plate.

You can check for this by pulling off the knob and turning on the tap and pressing directly on the spindle until it stops and holding as you would normally do. If the flame holds now then that may be your problem, if it doesn't then it may be a thermocouple breaking down. However in the second case before ordering a new thermocouple check to ensure that the tip is positioned correctly in the flame as positioning is critical. For a thermocouple to work the heated end must have what is known as a 'hot' and a 'cold' junction, if the tip of the thermocouple is placed too far into the flame and the 'cold' junction becomes to hot insufficient EMF will be produced. Likewise if the 'hot' junction is not hot enough (tip not sufficiently in flame) then the same effect will occur.

Bas

I was away a few weeks ago and had a problem with the large burner on my stove not lighting. I immediately thought U/S thermocouple and tried to find a stockist in Dorset. Couldn't locate the item, so muddled through on one burner for the duration.

On return home I went around the corner to my local caravan assessories place to order the thermocouple. The guy in the shop told me to clean the tip first as that sometimes is the cause of the problem. I cleaned the tip (that sits in the gas jet) with a green scourer and it now works perfectly. So give that a go before you splash out on a replacement.

I just had to take out the cutlerly drawer to get good access to the thermocouple in my motorhome. Let us all know if that does the job!

Archived