Swivel seat height

laimeduck

I have a problem with the swivel seat heights in my 2005 Ducato based Benima.

a) When swiveled I have difficulty in getting my legs under the table

b) When driving and using the sun visor I have to crouch in the seat to see!

I am only 5'10"!

I have searched the forum & found posts which suggests www.marcleleisure.co.uk or www.wyvernleisure.co.uk (no longer around?)

Apparently smaller seat bases are available which can lower the seat by 3". They are £130

Has anyone fitted them - are they staightforward to fit, ie are any modifications required to eg the handbrake etc and can anyone offer advice?

B can be fixed by buying a peak capped such as those used by golfers. I've used a plastic one from DAF which they were giving away with the launch of their 105 truck which was many years ago. If I'm feeling posh, I use a golfer's cap I bought from from St Andrews. A peaked cap enables me to keep the sun out of my eyes wherever it is. I'm 5'10".

Sorry, cannot help you with A because I never use the swivel on our seats.

....there are two possible things you can do to lower the seat level (depending, of course on what is already installed).

A lower seat box and/or a more compact swivel mechanism.

They are not generally considered a difficult DIY job to change, but it is worthwhile doing a few preliminary checks first.

i) is there anything under the seat? (a tallish battery is the usual problem)

ii) how, and to what, are the various seat-belt fitments connected?

iii) how are the box, swivel, seat sliders bolted? (not at all out of the ordinary to find restricted clearance, and/or the use of Torx bolts)

iv) are you going to want to do the passenger side as well to match-up?

v) you've already highlighted the need to assess the handbrake clearance

The whole job is made easier if the items bought come ready-drilled to accept the other components, but it is obviously possible to work round them not being (unless, of course, there is a pre-drilled hole just not quite where you need one ;-))

(The Marcle units are Sportscraft ones, and may be pre-set up to accept their swivels, so maybe a bit of work involved).

AFAIK Wyvern are no longer trading.

Brock - 2012-08-27 4:05 PM

B can be fixed by buying a peak capped such as those used by golfers. I've used a plastic one from DAF which they were giving away with the launch of their 105 truck which was many years ago. If I'm feeling posh, I use a golfer's cap I bought from from St Andrews. A peaked cap enables me to keep the sun out of my eyes wherever it is. I'm 5'10".

Sorry, cannot help you with A because I never use the swivel on our seats.

Hi John re the sun visors I hope you will understand the following if you have a pre 2006 this works ok if after it should be ok but have not tried on later models

Remove the sun visor hinge fixing screws swap the hinge ends over the right to left etc as you swap you will note the sun visor lifts about 30mm this does make a big difference in forward vision

Best Regards

Alf

laimeduck - 2012-08-27 3:46 PM

I am only 5'10

I know it's dead obvious but have you used the adjusters on the side of the seat? Assuming an 05 Ducato seat is same as my 08 seat that would give you a good 2" I think.

I'm 5'8" ish and had same difficulties with visor.

cheers alan b

laimeduck - 2012-08-27 3:46 PM

I am only 5'10"!

I have searched the forum & found posts which suggests www.marcleleisure.co.uk or www.wyvernleisure.co.uk (no longer around?)

Apparently smaller seat bases are available which can lower the seat by 3". They are £130

Has anyone fitted them - are they staightforward to fit, ie are any modifications required to eg the handbrake etc and can anyone offer advice?

We had one from wyvern leisure. Went to their factory and they fitted it for us to our Rapido. Best thing we ever did for that motorhome. Completely transformed the driving position by lowering the swivel seat back to the level of the fixed Fait seat. Solved both the problem of reaching the hand brake and the sun visor problem. Made driving the motorhome a pleasure. I used to dread hill starts with the hand brake so far out of reach. There were no complications in fitting it or subsequent use. Go for it it will be money well spent. I could never make out why the converters of what is after all a very expensive vehicle never fitted lower seat boxes for the driver in the first place. My wife enjoyed being able to look down on me for once from here own lofty perch.

Apparently TEK Seating http://www.tekseating.co.uk/ used to market reduced-height seat-bases for Fiat Ducatos. I've a John Wickersaham article (MMM October 2003) showing what fitting them involved and it looks pretty straightforward. Not sure if TEK seating still offer them and Wyvern Accessories no longer trades. Robinhood has touched all the caveat bases.

Archived