Tolls in Europe

Bulletguy

Further to the recent topic of Road Tolls in Europe, i've just had a shock after doing a currency conversion.

As I entered Bulgaria via a bridge over the Danube, on returning back into Romania I decided to cross it by Ferry instead to give time to take in the scenery and take photo's.

BIG MISTAKE!

It cost a whopping £39 for the Ferry (25 min crossing). Then they couldn't land the damn thing due to the concrete slipway which had broken up and silted, so we all sat baking in 40c heat whilst they pratted around flushing the broken concrete away.

As if that wasn't bad enough, on driving through the Romanian Border control I was stopped and told I had to pay €12. As I had only Romanian and Bulgarian money she charged me 56 RO Leu, (slightly more than €12). When I asked what for she simply blanked me out and said "you must pay". I showed her that I already had a valid Romanian Vignette but that didn't seem to count! Even a Romanian Taxi driver standing behind me was angry and said 'here it is all tax tax tax and nobody knows where or who it goes to'.

Now i've just paid another £8.50 to drive in Hungary for a few days before going to Slovenia.......where of course I must pay more tolls!

I've given up on keeping count of the cost of tolls but it does make you wonder why we allow foreign vehicles to drive UK roads totally 'toll free'. UK road tax is very high compared to East European countries which does account for some of the toll charges......but seems a bit harsh when maybe travelling in a particular country only for a couple of weeks.

According to this site I won't pay anything as i'm under 3.5 ton. (lol)

http://www.slovenia.info/?faq=191

Just remembered I was there in 2009 and didn't pay anything so should be ok. Just as well as i've been told I was ripped off over the extra toll I paid in Romania....I shouldn't have had to pay anything as I already had a valid Vignette but the Police wouldn't allow me through till I paid it.

Nobody in Romania seemed to know what it was for or why they charged it.

Guest Peter James
Bulletguy - 2012-08-28 2:35 PM

it does make you wonder why we allow foreign vehicles to drive UK roads totally 'toll free'.

Not really the same thing Because of the geographical situation, countries like France are Transit Countries - meaning they have lots of vehicles just passing through - Britain to Italy, Italy to Spain, Spain to Germany etc etc. Apart from a tiny amount of traffic passing through to Ireland, Britain doesn't have any traffic just passing through. All the traffic on British Roads is contributing to the British Economy one way or another. The result of which is that countries like France have about 5 times as many foreign vehicles on their roads as Britain does. Since the overwhelming majority are just passing through France, contributing nothing and clogging up/wearing out the French road network, its not unreasonable for the French to collect some road tax from them.

(Where Britain shoots itself in the foot is in having the highest diesel price in Europe, so all the lorries that come to Britain bring their diesel with them, instead of buying it here. Rather like having the highest tax on alcohol causes people to bring their own across the channel, so the British exchequer gets nothing.

BG: "I've given up on keeping count of the cost of tolls but it does make you wonder why we allow foreign vehicles to drive UK roads totally 'toll free'.

You don't.

Just off the top of my head, here are just some of the toll roads in that part of Europe called Britain:-

Severn Bridge (both of them).

New M6 round Birmingham.

Humber Bridge.

Dartford tunnel.

The whole "Congestion Charge" area of London.

Channel tunnel.

Mersey tunnels.

Tyne tunnel.

Tamar bridge.

Clifton Suspension Bridge.

There must be loads more too..........

Also, any ferry across any river in Britain will charge you to take your vehicle just as in Romania, as they are private Companies.

Peter James - 2012-08-28 4:05 PM

(Where Britain shoots itself in the foot is in having the highest diesel price in Europe, so all the lorries that come to Britain bring their diesel with them, instead of buying it here. Rather like having the highest tax on alcohol causes people to bring their own across the channel, so the British exchequer gets nothing.

Don't worry about The Exchequer......he makes damned sure with every Budget that the drinkers, smokers and drivers get well and truly shafted.....plus it gives the 'goons' at Checkpoint Charlie plenty of fun stealing legally purchased tobacco from incoming residents of the Police State!

BGD - 2012-08-28 4:20 PM

Just off the top of my head, here are just some of the toll roads in that part of Europe called Britain:-

Severn Bridge (both of them).

New M6 round Birmingham.

Humber Bridge.

Dartford tunnel.

The whole "Congestion Charge" area of London.

Channel tunnel.

Mersey tunnels.

Tyne tunnel.

Tamar bridge.

Clifton Suspension Bridge.

There must be loads more too..........

Also, any ferry across any river in Britain will charge you to take your vehicle just as in Romania, as they are private Companies.

Except Bruce, most you don't need to use.

e.g. I live just north of the M6 Toll road yet have never used it. Both the Mersey and Dartford tolls are 'peanut money' (last time I used Dartford it was a quid but now don't go that side of London anyway) and the Channel tunnel is only for folk with money burning a hole in their pocket!

As for the Congestion charge in London, the vast majority are paid by companies with employees working in the City. My DIL and nephew both work in the City but have never paid a penny cent in charges since it was introduced.

The tolls I was talking about relate to driving roads in Europe....not just particular ones but all. I got charged a toll/tax coming back into Romania which nobody would explain what for or why despite already having paid the Vignette charge.

Guest Peter James
BGD - 2012-08-28 4:20 PM

any ferry across any river in Britain will charge you to take your vehicle

There is just one that doesn't. The Woolwich ferry is free.

(Apparently the king granted the citizens of Woolwich a free ferry, and as we know the Royal family are above the law.)

Peter James - 2012-08-28 5:05 PM

Since the overwhelming majority are just passing through France, contributing nothing and clogging up/wearing out the French road network, its not unreasonable for the French to collect some road tax from them.

I don't know how much of the nearly 200€ I spend on diesel in France each time I cross it goes to the French exchequer.

I'm sure they're making money from me!!

Archived