Motorhome insurance

Mardee

We have used Caravan guard for the last 4 years but since we do around 12000 to 15000 miles per year including 2 trips abroad of around 2 months each. We are way above their average mileage of 5000 miles our premium has gone up considerably.

We have not been happy with the service we have had and would welcome suggestions for other insurance companies we can use

Thank you

Margaret and David

We have been pleased with insurance through The Camping and Caravanning Club. Consistently over the last 10 years they have provided the best value "like for like" cover as compared with other companies from which we have had quotes. We average about 10000 miles annually.

Try Comfort Insurance. Though they ask what your average mileage is they don't appear too concerned. Besides which, who on earth checks your mileage??

The main problem with MH Insurance is unlike car Insurance there is very little competition. I was with Safeguard previously but on renewal Comfort came in a fair bit cheaper and like Safeguard, they offer 365 day UK and European breakdown.

Before I opted to go with Comfort I phoned Safeguard to tell them i'd had a lower quote. I was stunned by their response which amounted to "so go with them then".

Bulletguy - 2012-08-29 2:55 PM

Try Comfort Insurance. Though they ask what your average mileage is they don't appear too concerned. Besides which, who on earth checks your mileage??

The main problem with MH Insurance is unlike car Insurance there is very little competition. I was with Safeguard previously but on renewal Comfort came in a fair bit cheaper and like Safeguard, they offer 365 day UK and European breakdown.

Before I opted to go with Comfort I phoned Safeguard to tell them i'd had a lower quote. I was stunned by their response which amounted to "so go with them then".

I used to be with Safeguard and their renewals just kept going up and up.

A couple of years back now i rang round and came across Comfort who

came in at nearly half what Safeguard wanted for virtually the same policy.

I rang Safeguard back to see if they could get their renewal quote down a bit

and their attitude was........

" Ours is the best policy, that`s the price, do you want to renew ? "

When i said no they just said OK, go with them and put the phone down.

Customer service ??????? i think not.

Regards

Graham.

I'm also with Caravan Guard and need to renew or find another insurer in the next month so thanks for the advice. I included on my last policy UK Roadside Breakdown Assistance (underwritten by Inter Partner Assistance). Does anyone have any experience or opinions of this service and how does it stack up against the RAC/AA in practice.

Thanks

Peter

Another vote for Comfort our policy went up by less than £20 this year despite having a claim. Total was £323 including £25 extra to cover the sat dish & £58 for European breakdown cover, I still have the van insured for the price I paid as it has held it's value.

My stated mileage is 6000, if you have a claim and your mileage is over the stated amount they increase your excess to £500 for the first 1000 miles over if over that it's £1000 so if you look like going over just remember to ring them.

Someone said who checks the mileage well for one the insurance assessor & if it's over 3 years old it will be on the DVLA data base from your MOT which the insurance companies have access to.

Don't know why Kelly's quote was so high it could be post code or high annual mileage.

Safeguard for us too .... they price match for us no problem.

As for not checking mileage - what planet are you on Bulletguy!!! If you have to claim insurance companies would use this as an excuse not to pay out ... it is a contract based on 'trust' so you break that and you are an idiot IMV. 8-)

My policy cover quote was for Comprehensive Protected Bonus / Legal Cover / Full UK and European Breakdown / £150 Excess / Value £42k and 9000 miles pa after I spoke to Safeguard my renewal was reduced to £298.47 , so I paid up in full. Not forgetting Safeguard have unlimeted milage.

Archived