OH HEKI !!!!!!!!!!!!

michele

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michele that sounds just awful.......you have my sympathies though that won't stop the leak.  Like has been said once you get home it's the dealers job to deal with this 'to your satisfaction'......and if it was me I would be pressing for a new replacement MH.  All the very best of luck to you all.......chin up and stand firm once you get to the dealers.

Just had a thought....see if you can get some gaffa tape...the strong stuff and some strong poly sheet.  Make yourselves a cover for the Heki just in case it rains again before you get home and to stop further water ingress.  Cut the poly so it covers the Heki and about 6 inches more all round and tape like mad to the roof.......good luck.

Wish I could help you Michele but I think we are too far away at Fussen in Bavaria?

It's been very hot for over a week but is absolutely hissing it torrentially tonight here as well! The forecast is for better weather in the next few days if that is any relief?

Daves idea for a cover and gaffer tape seems best for now until you get home. Spare cover and tape in case it blows off on the road might be good idea if possible?

Calm but firm phone calls to your contact at Autotrail, who is bound to remember you, and to the dealer first as this cock up should be remedied by them between them without your insurer being involved at all, although it really ought to go back to the factory to be done properly or a new van supplied?

I think you would also have a very good case against the dealer to reject the van as unfit for purpose and ask for a full refund or replacement. Talk to your local trading standards office when you get home and tell the dealer that you want to reject the van if that is what you decide.

Once repairs are done it will be nigh on impossible to reject the van at a later date if more unforeseen problems arise due to water ingress and if it were mine rejection would be my first choice.

Hope that helps a little?

Looks like you need the sort of sealer that you put around the bath at home - should be available from a builders merchant ( Bricolage ? ) - you'd have to get a sealer ' gun ' with it of course so you can 'squirt' it around the base of the rooflight.

I think if you try to cover it with any polythene / plastic etc it's likely to blow away when you are on the move.

Seems to me prioriies are 1) stop the leak 2) dry the bedding / clothes 3 ) advise the dealer as soon as is practical.

Best of luck Michele...

Thanks guys ,

I have heard only good stuff about Autotrail so I am believing that when we get back it will all be sorted .

As for rejecting the vehicle I am not sure if this is the way to go or not .

You see my worry is if we have the heki repaired by them and sealed correctly the worry is what has the water done to the van ? maybe nothing how will we know .

It has ruined my carpets and the van does smell slighly so at the least I would be expecting new furniture seating DD only .and new carpets . I have every faith that Stuart the CE at Autotrail would expect nothing else from his company so I do have faith it will all be sorted .

AS said the only worry is what damage has the water done has it got into the roof skin ?..

As soon as we are back I cam put the pictures onto my old computer for some reason this laptop runs a silly windows 7 and I dont get along with it . I will send them straight to the dealer & take it from there .

Lets see what happens , will keep you all updated .

ips - 2012-08-31 10:04 AM

Dont send the pics, send the van...

That's what I'd be doing...

(..you don't need to send 'em photos to report what is a major issue.....)

Have you still not spoken with them?...If you have,what did they say?...

I'd be telling them to expect me and the van back in their laps, ASAP.... :-S

Sounds like your van should be scrapped Michele. I know you had a lot of special extras fitted, so they should be able to just transfer them to a brand new van. This would be a cheaper option for the dealer , as the walls , roof and fittings will most likely all be very damp. You should also be compensated for the loss of a much needed holiday ruined. If need be contact trading standards, to see what your rights are.

You paid Mega bucks for the van. Have a safe trip home

PJay

malc d - 2012-08-30 10:13 PMLooks like you need the sort of sealer that you put around the bath at home - should be available from a builders merchant ( Bricolage ? ) - you'd have to get a sealer ' gun ' with it of course so you can 'squirt' it around the base of the rooflight.I think if you try to cover it with any polythene / plastic etc it's likely to blow away when you are on the move.Seems to me prioriies are 1) stop the leak 2) dry the bedding / clothes 3 ) advise the dealer as soon as is practical.Best of luck Michele...

I wouldn't recommend sealant in your case Michele because the addition of sealant will mean the reason for the leaks will be almost impossible to find once the MH is at the dealers.  The addition of thick poly sheet stuck down firmly so it doesn't flap will do the job.  If it is thick enough and there's nothing to flap around it should easily last until you get home.

As for the MH being repaired .....you bought a new MH which has now had a huge amount of water damage.  If it was mine I would be wanting it replaced because like you say you don't know how badly the water ingress has damaged the bits you can't see.  Also there is the question of the longer term effect of the ingress on the MH with possible consequences on it's resale value.

Best of luck ...........

RogerC - 2012-08-31 11:35 AM

I wouldn't recommend sealant in your case Michele because the addition of sealant will mean the reason for the leaks will be almost impossible to find once the MH is at the dealers.  >

That's a good point, although the leak is so bad it makes you wonder if they sealed the Heki at all !

( I was looking at a quick fix to stop any more water getting in - Michelle has a long way to go yet before she's home ).

:-|

My suspicion is the joint between the overhead cab pod and flat roof has failed. That s a lot of water to come in just round the Heki which is unlikely to have failed so badly so quick. The front ( or rear) roof joint to fibre glass may have suddenly opened up with the water finding its way through the inside of roof to an opening like the Heki and Air con cutouts. All guess work as to the source of the leak.

Oh Michele! What a mess.

If you have/can get gaffer tape and access roof, stick it around the holes in the roof, and over any roof joints for now. Try to temporarily seal off any possible points of entry: analysis of what has failed, and why, can wait. If you can do that, at least no more should enter, or what enters should be greatly reduced.

Try to notify the dealer a.s.a.p, ideally by e-mail, that you have experienced serious leaks that appear to have caused considerable damage to both van and possessions, that consequently you have curtailed your holiday and are returning to UK soonest possible, and that you will contact them further on your return. Advise them you have done what you can for now to limit the damage.

That really is about all you can do for now, apart from trying to get the van and contents dry. If you need to use washers/ dryers on site try to get receipts for the cost, or at least keep a note. Ditto phone calls etc. Ditto the extra cost of the early return.

It can all be fixed, or failing that replaced, you just have to get, and keep, yourselves dry and comfortable until then. Chin up! :-)

Don't know where you are, but for now the weather looks better in the centre of France than in the east. Follow this link for fairly reliable forecasts http://tinyurl.com/9mpzsqp It's in French, but mostly pictograms so quite easy to navigate. Might it pay you to move somewhere dryer? However, light rain in north Monday. :-(

Hi Michelle,

I know that you state that you are returning tomorrow - so have the rest of today and another night in the van. However, your travel insurance policy should provide emergency accommodation and possibly arrangements to get you all home and the van repatriated. Perhaps at the very least you could all have a night in a comfortable - and dry- hotel.

Best wishes.

Well done Mel, I just had the same thought and was about to post likewise!

It would be well worth asking if they can assist. If the van is still soaked inside, they may even be able to get you all back home and recover the van later. If not undriveable, it sounds as though it is pretty well uninhabitable! Worst that can happen is they say no.

They may also be able to co-ordinate with the dealer over recovery and repair or whatever, and take some of the load off you.

Michelle,

My wife and I have just had a thought! It happens sometimes that we both agree!

When the dealer finally has the van - if he talks about sorting and repairing the problem that caused the leakage and refurbishing/replacing damaged furniture etc, our advice would be don't agree. If you do accept repairs it will mean you cannot later reject the van. It is very difficult to reject a van as being "unfit for purpose" but in these circumstances I think you will have a strong case. As you have already suggested, no-one will know the extent of the water damage behind the scenes and the possible future impications.

Brian, thanks for your praise! It was appreciated.

That is a complete and utter nightmare :-( poor Michelle I just hope they have been able to dry it out sufficiently to have a dry bed and get home as soon as possible :-S I could weep for you Michelle! I hope they swap that van for you straight away. Good Luck.

Commiserations.

When I had a roof light blow off in France it was March and -5. and 5pm. I called at a garage and the owner took one look and put his thumb up an d said Ok. came out with a metre wide roll of heavy duty cling film and stuck it over the hole.Better still he refused payment !!

It stood up to 60mph the next day until I found a replacement roof light. It came off with a very hard tug leaving no trace or damage. Suggest you try a garage as I understand its used for emergency repairs to side windows etc.

Get Trading Standards advice but rejection does seem a viable option. Bear in mind that undetected water ingress over prolonged period can cause severe rot etc but if leak detected and cured promptly most damage will be visible and repairable with long term effect probably minimal.

Best of luck

Hi Michele,

Sorry to hear about all your problems.

It sounds as if your van could be a write off. Who are your insurance co? Ours do's New for Old in the first two years if a van is written off. Dont forget you have 10 year water ingress Warrenty from Autotrail. Contact Autorail straight off you have the MDs details as you have been in contact in the past. They are a very caring Co regarding people in need ie Charities etc. Also the Companies motto is "Without you the Customer we would not have a Bussiness"

You are possibly on the way home by now, safe journey and good luck.

David.

David Dwight - 2012-09-01 7:51 AM

...It sounds as if your van could be a write off. Who are your insurance co? Ours do's New for Old in the first two years if a van is written off...

I believe New for Old and 'write off' clauses in motor vehicle insurance policies will apply only to accident damage, which won't be relevant in Michele's case.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-01 10:12 AM

David Dwight - 2012-09-01 7:51 AM

...It sounds as if your van could be a write off. Who are your insurance co? Ours do's New for Old in the first two years if a van is written off...

I believe New for Old and 'write off' clauses in motor vehicle insurance policies will apply only to accident damage, which won't be relevant in Michele's case.

Me too. This is a five week old van under warranty, with disastrous leaks that have caused considerable damage.

It is not the result of an RTA, and insurance is not appropriate, except possibly for travel insurance. For now, the liabilities and responsibilities lie entirely with the selling dealer and the manufacturer.

Lets hope you are all home safe and sound now Michelle, recovering from your ruined holiday :-S I hope everything goes well for you at the dealers Im sure it will they will probably be very upset (hopefully) to know you have had such rotten luck with your new van.

Archived