OH HEKI !!!!!!!!!!!!

michele

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2012-09-03 3:04 PM

Maybe PDI's should now include a hosepipe sprayed on the camper roof :-S

Or something similar definitely :-S even a Van Wash if there is such a thing!! it would certainly save a lot of grief and money in the long run.

So sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you get it sorted.

And people wonder why a lot of us on here wouldn't touch a british van ith a bargepole.

peter - 2012-09-04 4:13 PM

So sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you get it sorted.

And people wonder why a lot of us on here wouldn't touch a british van ith a bargepole.

Well,I'm beginning to wonder why anyone would buy ANY new van? (...unless it was something from a low volume manufacturer and you'd "spec'd" it yourself...)

Hasn't someone recently on here posted of a major c*ck-up with their 100k Dethleff..? ("wet" heating system leaking,loom fried etc) *-)

Still no word from Michele... :-S ...I suppose they say "...no news,is good news.."

:-S

peter - 2012-09-04 4:13 PM

Thats a bit unfair Peter. The fault sounds as if it is the dealer . not the manufactor.. Our Air con was fitted by dealer , when we purchased ours

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly I would like to thank you all for your kind thoughts all of you , secondly Mel thanks for posting my photos even though I put a few of you through hell to get them posted , you managed .

Ok I have to say we are most impressed with the dealership especially Chris at Elite M/Homes might add that the handover was most impressive as well with nothing rushed .

We landed home on Monday late night , I phoned the dealership on Tuesday Elite . Chris called Autotrail and immediately called me back . He tried to offer a service of having the van collected from our house however the Lorry was rather large and could not fit down the street.

Chris phoned Autotrail and he reported that they were taking this very seriously and were willing to collect from him on a special delivery from Elite in Banbury Oxfordshire ASAP.

Wednesday morning at our convience we drove the M/H to Elite and right enough there was the lorry driver awaiting to take it straight back to Autotrail .

The vehicle was looked over and taken as quick as a flash , being loaded even before we had stopped talking to Chris of Elite (impressed ) yes very .

Ok today Thursday, Steve is now on the phone from Autotrail .

He phones to give us an update on our vehicle . They have replaced all seating they have replaced all carpets through out the van as a matter of fact they have replaced and gone beyond the call of duty .

Even replacing the back beds

They will personally deliver the van home to our house .All old stuff we are allowed to keep for our dirty weekends away :D :D .

I just wanted to let you all know if this is the level of service we will definately buy Auttrail again ;-)

I am so pleased with the level of service they have made nothing a problem and have been very gracious .

Overall 10/out of 10 for Autotrail and Elite .

The Heki has seal's removed to comply with ventilation blah blah Health & safety stuff.

Its being re configured considering other ventilation options , to add seals to prevent future problems.

Apparently it was fitted correctly it was the sheer deluge of water hitting it ?.

Thank god it wasn't in storage we would never of known .

Hi Michele,

It may have been fitted properly but it was either a manufacture problem or an Autotrail quality check that was up the spout to say it was the deluge of rain that was the problem is downright rediculous.

You know with being a seasoned traveler that in France and other EU country`s the rain can get very heavy more so than in the UK at times so should you not use it in the EU.

No sorry shele in my opinion this was the fault of Heiki in the first place for not testing the thing properly after changing the specification and then Autotrail for not spoting the flaw

But yes all thanks must go to the dealer and Autotrail for doing a great job in sorting it out quickly.

We all know that apologie`s come easy it is what they do after to make you happy that will be remembered.

I hope they also compensate you for a rotten time and spoiling your enjoyment of your new motorhome and haveing to come home in such a mess.

I hope the next outing makes up for your dissapointment good luck.

Mike.

So it was just the Heiki..? Blimey! 8-) ...

Well if that's the case, at least you know that the water hadn't found it's way in,via a convoluted route through any roof panel " cavities", etc ...

Having said that,you say that "seals were removed"..does that mean that,rather than address *their* ventilation design requirements,Autotrail just removed (or didn't fit them)in order to meet these "vent' regs"...?

I always thought that there were "permenantly vented" types available..but I had assumed(probably wrongly) that they would have a modified closure design (to minimize things such as this happening).

Anyhow..glad you've got/getting it sorted..and you're happy with the service.. :-)

Hi Michelle,

Nice to see that you are sorted, I have to say that I too had my motorhome taken back by Autotrail not for anything like what you have gone through, but the level of service was excellent.

In all walks of life you would expect new items not to go wrong, but no one would buy anything new without a warranty.

The measure of a Quality Business is how they deal with problems. I found Autotrail to be first class

Good Luck

Tony

Well Michelle Im glad that you received such good service BUT that Heki should not have leaked to that extent no matter what was happening outside :-S I can show you photographs of a flood outside our van at Fussen the heavens opened and in 5 mins we were marooned inside surrounded by water.

I would ask them to do water tests before you take it home :-D ie; a fire-engine hose ;-) you will be a nervous wreck going away again if that happened.

Whatever was fitted was the wrong way around is my guess you had a waterfall coming in not a drip drip.

Good luck girl.

michele - 2012-09-06 2:15 PM

The Heki has seal's removed to comply with ventilation blah blah Health & safety stuff.

Its being re configured considering other ventilation options , to add seals to prevent future problems.

Apparently it was fitted correctly it was the sheer deluge of water hitting it ?.

Thank god it wasn't in storage we would never of known .

Really? So my new van may also have this problem? surely that isn't/can't be true?

michele - 2012-09-06 1:47 PM

I just wanted to let you all know if this is the level of service we will definately buy Auttrail again ;-)

I am so pleased with the level of service they have made nothing a problem and have been very gracious .

Overall 10/out of 10 for Autotrail and Elite .

You are very gracious in your praise Michelle, whilst it sounds like you are indeed receiving a good level of service, I would still be fuming regarding the level of water ingress - especially if I was then told the seals were removed (I am not sure I believe this).

9 days to go and i will be collecting mine :-D

I'm glad you're back safe and sound, and presumably dry, and I agree that Autotrail and Elite have responded very well and very quickly.

However, like Maggy, Mike, and others, I am very sceptical of what you are being told was the cause. Don't know which size Heki it was that leaked, but if it was the missing seals that are supposed to explain the volume of water that entered, I assume they would be mini-Hekis, which leaves me incredulous!

We have now, somewhat to our surprise, had our present van for 5 years, and it has two mini Hekis. Both were supplied without seals for the same reason as is being cited in your case. As it happens I obtained seals and fitted them myself, not because of water splashing in, but because in windy conditions the "ventilation" continually rattled the blackout blinds and kept us awake.

We have endured/survived thunderstorms and squalls, and just downpours, both when on site and when driving. It a few cases the rain was so hard we had to slow to a crawl, and on one occasion stop, along with everyone else on the road. Sometimes the noise made by the rain has made conversation inside the van virtually impossible - and it was just rain, not hail! The only times any water has entered during any of these episodes have been when I had the rooflights opened into the lowest position for added ventilation, when water hitting the roof bounced splashes over the rooflight kerb and into the van. Moral: fully shut rooflights in heavy rain. :-) The Heki design is imperfect in this respect, but I'm talking about a fine spray of splashes, not Niagara falls! The addition of the seals made no difference whatever to this, The Hekis are weatherproof when fully closed, but not fully so if open to any degree.

From your pictures, the amount of water entering your van was a cascade, and that seems to me consistent with water building up on the roof, to the extent that it "overtopped" the Heki upstands and then flooded in. I hope I'm wrong (and Autotrail are merely being diplomatic about an embarrassing failure in sealing the Hekis because they don't want to admit the true cause), because if I'm right, the same will happen again during heavy rain.

Not sure if yours is Hi-line, Lo-line, or super Lo-line, but two things strike me. First, it is a very long roof. Second, from what I can see, the roof to wall junctions have a capping that extends above roof level, meaning water can't escape over the sides. All the overcab mouldings appear flush from side to side, but the roof generally appears lower than the side cappings, when viewed from the rear. I had thought there were gargoyle type outlets at the front of the roof, presumably in the area where the overcab meets the flat roof, but they don't show in photographs, so I'm unclear whether they exist or not. However, even if they do exist, if the van were standing slightly nose down, in very heavy rain, it is quite possible the amount of water accumulating would exceed the rate at which those forward outlets - if present - could discharge it. Were that to be the case, the water would build up on the roof until it found the next point of exit, which would be likely to be the Heki kerbs.

I think this should be investigated because a) a nose down stance, even on level ground, for a van with twin rear axles is somewhat to be expected and b) even without the summer downpours that are quite common across Europe, leaves, especially large, wet leaves, such as horse chestnut, have an amazing capacity for blocking rainwater outlets, and leaves are to be expected to fall onto that large, flat, roof in autumn. What needs checking is whether the Heki upstands are higher, relative to the roof, than the wall to roof capping, or lower. If higher, the event should never have been able to happen, because the water should merely have begun flooding over the sides and down the walls, but if they are lower, one would expect the water to then flood into the van via the rooflights. The latter seems to be what happened so ................... you can follow my reasoning! Sorry to be the Jeremiah, but I think the possibility of a repeat should be examined and eliminated - before one gets too congratulatory.

With all that has been replaced inside, have Autotrail carried out a proper damp check on the structure and, if it reads damp, ensured it is all properly dried, and re-tested, before returning it to you? With autumn coming and days cooling, it is important all absorbed water is eliminated, or the van risks mildew forming.

This van is your property, not Autotrail's or Elite's, and they both owe you at least the courtesy of a proper investigation and explanation, of what actually happened, rather than their present, what seems to me convenient, though totally unconvincing, "it was the Heki, Guv" explanation.

Again thanks for the good wishes . To answer a few questions.

When we had our first Bessacarr 10 years ago we were shocked at the volume of cold air being drawn into the habitation area as we drove along .

We had a pang of guilt , we did'nt realise what the kids were sitiing in as we drove along ,resulting in us always wrapping them well when we travel because of this.

previously in winter we have put cushions in the Heki and then shut the blind to hold partially in place .

We went examined the Heki at Mont St Michele by climbing on the roof it was really evident that one of the black seals which presses against the perspex roof was missing ,in addition from memory we think there were two stoppers to prevent the window closing further .

It was explained to us at the time Brownhills , this was to do with gas & ventilation regulations regulations.

We excepted this as a necessary evil , however in all previous three vehicles two Bessies one Hobbie and hundreds of holidays in the SOF we have never ever experienced the water coming in .

Turns out Manufactors DO REMOVE the water tight seal in all Heki's to ensure ventilation because of the Gas req................... feel free to say otherwise if this isnt true.

Brain and a few others will /may recall I used to stuff a sock in a flue over the back bed of Bessie . Maybe this was their way of getting around complying with ventilation regs.

They seem confident it will not happen again , he has reassured us they have remedied it Bottom line is we are willing to trust them , we will be standing on the roof doing the hose pipe test when we get it back .

So in answer to a question above YES its seems that the Heki manufactors do remove the seal and put in place restricting blocks .

:D

Guest pelmetman
Gas Reg's :-S...........................I reckon I have a problem then, as the gas drop in Horace is a hole in the gas locker floor 8-).................but it appears it should be in the roof *-)

michele - 2012-09-06 7:01 PM.....................So in answer to a question above YES its seems that the Heki manufactors do remove the seal and put in place restricting blocks. :D

There are two versions of the rooflight Michele, the difference being only the seal. However, it has nothing whatever to do with water, it is just a draught seal.

There are literally thousands of vans with the version of these rooflights that gives permanent ventilation. If that were critical for weatherproofing, there would be thousands of very wet vans every time it rains hard. Plainly, there are not.

So sorry, but until proved otherwise, Autotrail are talking hooey!

Brain taken in all you have said . slightly anxious it happens again .

Malcs gone off out but left me to say the van was fairly level slightly if any down at the front .

We see the points you make and we are left wondering in all fairness how does someone say , Oh sorry we cocked up its easier to jaz over it . After all we may be the customers from hell and a big argument may of occured . I am not fully sure that I believe the explanation that we have been given either, I actually (but what do I know ) believe that it just was'nt sealed .

How does one explain rain water dripping in to the van onto Fred whilst driving along in medioca rainfall.

I think the rain was hitting the van whilst driving finding the Heki head on ,not sealed and being sucked in with the air resulting in running in at the front (long side ) and arriving inside the van being pushed the lenght of the perspex panel until it arrived at the back and dripped all over Fred in her seat .

I truly dont believe it was sealed but I don't want to call the guy a liar . I could well be wrong (what do I know ).

My main prob and worry was about the water ingress (how will we ever know ) and as said before its a worry it could of been in storage . I believe through the O/H that they are drying it out with a machine and are testing vigrously . If they put a damp meter on it and it shows no damp then is that not the end of it ?.

The guy also assured us that the water had not penitrated the skin .

Archived