Dunbar C&CC site and Edinburgh parking

ips

Two questions here. Mrs ips wants to go to Edinburgh for a long weekend in a couple of weeks...

1- Anyone stayed at the Dunbar C&CC site, good / bad

2- Any reccomendations of suitable MH parking in Edinburgh ?

The Caravan club site at Edinburgh is handy if you can get on , Dunbar CCC is alright we liked it better when it was Barns Ness the walks were easier, straight onto the dunes.

You can get a train in Dunbar to Edinburgh but you might have to get a taxi into there as it is quite a good stretch of the legs! there is another site the other of Dunbar were never stayed there but I believe the buses are easier there.

I wouldnt attempt to go into the City itself with the Van. By the way Edinburgh CC site you still need to walk to the bus stop from there the one that will call at the site is pricey I gather.

That will be lauder presumably, yes we did think about that but got drawn towards Dunbar because of sea views. Might do a night or nights at both. How long does said no 8 bus take to get into the city centre ?

ips - 2012-08-30 3:48 PM

Is there a train from Lauder site as well as Dunbar ?

Sorry dont know that one we have never stayed at Lauder :-S you could give the site a ring that would be cheaper than joining the CC club and I cant see you getting on there it is a very popular site were members couldnt get any late availability a couple of weeks ago on anywhere.

Guest Peter James
More trouble or expense than its worth taking the van into Edinburgh city on a weekday, but its a different proposition at the weekend. I have parked the van at Grassmarket all day Sunday last year on the street free of charge - you just need to get there by 8am or preferably earlier to be sure of getting a large enough space. Due to the length of the van I was encroaching on to the space behind but was told by a traffic warden that was OK until 8am Monday Morning when they start checking the parking meters again.

IMO, the CC site is by far the best option for a few days in Edinburgh.

I seem to remember that the bus from directly outside no longer runs, but it is a short walk to a choice of routes, and with a day ticket the area is then 'your oyster'.

Worth a run down to Leith on the bus - it's gone upmarket, but still has a seamy side ;-).

The Starbank Inn, on the Leith bus route from the CC site always did a good pint, not something you can say about all Edinburgh pubs.

Robinhood - 2012-08-30 7:38 PM

IMO, the CC site is by far the best option for a few days in Edinburgh.

I seem to remember that the bus from directly outside no longer runs, but it is a short walk to a choice of routes, and with a day ticket the area is then 'your oyster'.

Worth a run down to Leith on the bus - it's gone upmarket, but still has a seamy side ;-).

The Starbank Inn, on the Leith bus route from the CC site always did a good pint, not something you can say about all Edinburgh pubs.

And the Royal Yacht Brittania is still at Leith I think :-D it is the best site CC I agree.

ips - 2012-08-31 9:52 AM

Thank you all. CC site seems best to me now, have given mrs ips all the info as she is in charge of organising the trip. :-D

Good choice :-D there are lovely walks turning left out of the gate if you walk for a couple of miles you reach a little harbour and a pub. ;-)

Archived