Price of Diesel in France.

coach2000

I am planning a trip or two in my van and was comparing the cost of fuel in France and the UK. heres a useful link and the latest update on French fuel prices.

http://www.day-tripper.net/driving-france-fuel-prices.html

August 2012 - Good news! The French government and fuel suppliers have agreed a price cut on petrol and diesel of up to six cents (euro) per litre for the next three months. The French Government will cut fuel tax by three cents (euro) per litre, with fuel suppliers also cutting their prices by the same amount - a more permanent measure is promised in the future.

It make's my blood boil the diference in price. Usual rip off by the Government here.

Here's the calculation I have used. Diesel in Boulogne is 1.38 euros. In Bolton £1.41. Exchange rate @ 1.26 euro to £1 = equivalent to £1.10 a litre, a 31 pence a litre saving.

It would seem that it is still better to go over the channel than go up to Scotland.

Clive.

coach2000 - 2012-08-30 5:20 PM

I am planning a trip or two in my van and was comparing the cost of fuel in France and the UK. heres a useful link and the latest update on French fuel prices.

http://www.day-tripper.net/driving-france-fuel-prices.html

August 2012 - Good news! The French government and fuel suppliers have agreed a price cut on petrol and diesel of up to six cents (euro) per litre for the next three months. The French Government will cut fuel tax by three cents (euro) per litre, with fuel suppliers also cutting their prices by the same amount - a more permanent measure is promised in the future.

It make's my blood boil the diference in price. Usual rip off by the Government here.

Here's the calculation I have used. Diesel in Boulogne is 1.38 euros. In Bolton £1.41. Exchange rate @ 1.26 euro to £1 = equivalent to £1.10 a litre, a 31 pence a litre saving.

It would seem that it is still better to go over the channel than go up to Scotland.

Clive.

You obviously use Tesco in Bolton too! We've noticed the prices creep up over the last few weeks, and more so - at an accelerated rate - over the last few days - My guess is they will be proclaiming in the scandal rags that they're gonna slash prices at the pumps - will make then look like saints again and keep joe public quiet.

The Great British public are so easily conned

Guest Peter James
coach2000 - 2012-08-30 5:20 PM

Exchange rate @ 1.26 euro to £1 = equivalent to £1.10 a litre, a 31 pence a litre saving.

Sir Mervyn King will soon alter that when he cranks the printing presses up again and trashes the pound some more. >:-)

This comes up time and again, who the hell cares, the price is the price, we may not like it but you just have to pay up. How the is the British public conned, what do you suggest we do, what a stupid remark Bolly. Like the exchange rate though were did that come from?

Randonneur - 2012-08-30 7:22 PM

At Carrefour in Angouleme yesterday it was 1.34 euros a litre.

131.9€ at Intermarche just off the ring-road south of Poitiers, five weeks ago. Back there next week, so hopefully cheaper. Our other fill up an Intermarche near St Omer the day before was 139.9!!

That garage in Poitiers is always the cheapest we ever see on our journey from Dunkerque/Calais to the Somport Tunnel. Even supermarkets close by like the new Auchan are always about 5c more expensive.

Tracker - 2012-08-30 7:57 PM

It was about 1.43 to 1.48 in most places around the German border along thr Rhine yesterday and is about 6 to 10 cents more in Germany today.

TBH, I can't understand the fixation with fuel costs. It is what it is, and the difference between the cheapest and most expensive is marginal over the mileage of a good European tour for us.

OTOH, the cost of sites and meals out can make a big difference, so we've started this break well.

Currently on a stellplatz at Wintrich on the Mosel. 8 euros a night including electric and wifi, a very nice pitch, and showers (1 euro) if you need them. (40 mile bike ride up and down the Mosel and I did!)

Meal out for 3 (including a bottle of the proprietors very fine Riesling - spätlese trocken - for 38 euro, and the jobs a good 'un.

That's where the value comes in.

BTW, from a ride through today, it looks like it all kicks off at the Bernkastel weinfest tonight ;-)

Robinhood - 2012-08-30 9:54 PM

Tracker - 2012-08-30 7:57 PM

It was about 1.43 to 1.48 in most places around the German border along thr Rhine yesterday and is about 6 to 10 cents more in Germany today.

TBH, I can't understand the fixation with fuel costs. It is what it is, and the difference between the cheapest and most expensive is marginal over the mileage of a good European tour for us.

OTOH, the cost of sites and meals out can make a big difference, so we've started this break well.

Currently on a stellplatz at Wintrich on the Mosel. 8 euros a night including electric and wifi, a very nice pitch, and showers (1 euro) if you need them. (40 mile bike ride up and down the Mosel and I did!)

Meal out for 3 (including a bottle of the proprietors very fine Riesling - spätlese trocken - for 38 euro, and the jobs a good 'un.

That's where the value comes in.

BTW, from a ride through today, it looks like it all kicks off at the Bernkastel weinfest tonight ;-)

Was at the Bernkastel weinfest last year for two days. Place gets packed and you will not be able to drive in so make sure you are their night before or ride in on bike as we did. Take a wine glass with you or go to the centre of town by the fountain and buy one. Never seen so much free wine flowing, we were probably the only sober people in the place by lunch time.

I too don't much care about the cost of fuel either, I just buy it when I need it, but if you are going from France into Germany it certainly pays to fill up in Luxemburg!

Thanks Henry, but I don't drink wine, hate the smell of it too so we will avoid wine and beer festivals at all costs but we will enjoy the food, the scenery, the architecture, the friendly locals and the glorious weather , apart from tonight's deluge!

We found the price differential for Diesel in France varied much more than usual this year.

Highest (Motorway Services 156.9 to 158.9) both going out & returning. Supermarkets, dropped from 143.9 / 142.9 during 1st week to 134.9/136.9 returning. Generally found LeClerc to be best priced.

Then back to reality @ £140.9 at local Morrisons.

We found the price differential for Diesel in France varied much more than usual this year.

Highest (Motorway Services 156.9 to 158.9) both going out & returning. Supermarkets, dropped from 143.9 / 142.9 during 1st week to 134.9/136.9 returning. Generally found LeClerc to be best priced.

Then back to reality @ £140.9 at local Morrisons.

Just left the Rhine area and moved down to Heidelburg. Diesel is 1.57€ on the motorways and anything from 1.52-1.54€ in the towns we passed through. We filled up in Luxembourg 10 days ago and it was 1.32€.

We were in Bernkastel for the wine festival and had a great time, best fireworks display we have ever seen. We stayed about 11km from the town on Campingplatz Erden- absolutely brilliant! 10€ per night including electric; all facilities clean, plenty of hot water and a great bar and restaurant on site, also a super view of the Moselle and vineyards half way up a mountain- fabulous! We have not been here before but will definitely come back

Bob

Archived