Strange electrical problems...

Bolly1965

Our Bessacarr E765 has had a problem with the step working when it feels like it, which I thought I had sorted, however it's stopped again.

Yesterday I purchased LED bulbs for all the habitation lights. Before I changed the spotllamps I checked to see they were working - the two on the driver's side did not. I replaced them with the LED bulbs and all I get is a faint glow on a couple of the LEDs. I assume there is no power getting though but can't for the life in me work out the wiring. What I can find looks OK

I have a feeling that it's something to do with the power unit or a relay as just after the engine is switched off, the lights (when switched on) glow brighter for a second or so before fading to the odd one or two LEDs glowing

Anyone have a clue?

I agree Bolly, sounds like a very high resistance bad connection. Measure the voltage at the lamp halogen bulbs in, then remove bulb and measure again? Repeat with the LED 'bulbs'. This will tell you of you have bad connections or dirty contacts somewhere such as in a relay which only supplies those spotlamps. I am expecting just a volt or two with the halogens and maybe around 5 to 8 volts with leds. (Assuming you have a volt meter of course!).

Jon.

It's undoubtedly stating the bleeding obvious but, as long as the problem with the halogen bulbs remains unresolved, playing about with the LED replacements is pointless. Once the original bulbs have been made to work properly, then is the time to fit the LED versions and check if they also work OK. I doubt from the description of the problem that there's much of a risk that the LED bulbs could be damaged, but LED bulbs are usually not cheap and any avoidable risk of damage is best not taken.

Bolly1965 - 2012-08-31 8:57 PM

i've tried that, the original halogens don't work either. I have a feeling it's a bad connection somewhere - perhaps the earth

When did you last see these spotlights working? What has changed since? What have you done to try to cure the step problem? Have you altered any wiring, or installed anything new?

Well this is where it gets really weird. As we were due to set off for a week in Devon I didn't have chance to investigate any further. However, out of curiosity I tried the spot lamps to see if they worked when the engine was running and they did! They have worked fine ever since (touch wood) and the step has worked fine too. I have a feeling that both problems are related to a relay sticking. Need to get it checked out by a professional I think.

Ahhhh, now if that is the case and they are wired into the interior light circuit they should, I think, turn off after something like 20 mins on a sevel base. Opening a door or ignition being turned on will reactativate. The test would be to enter via the habitation door after half an hour and switch them on and see what happens. Then open the drivers door and see if they come on. Might explain the apparent fault earlier corrected when vehicle was started.

Well we have been on site for the past two days and they are still working so they have not switched off after half an hour. The wiring diagram shows them on the same circuit as the other spot lights and not to the vehicle battery.

It's just one thing after another with this van, this morning we had no gas, changing to a new bottle made no difference. I guess the regulator had failed. Called out a repair man and it started working again. Had the regulator changed to be on the safe side tho. Then the fridge temp control turned out to be faulty so has that replaced and now it won't work on gas. I'm beginning to think this van does not like me!

Well we have been on site for the past two days and they are still working so they have not switched off after half an hour. The wiring diagram shows them on the same circuit as the other spot lights and not to the vehicle battery.

It's just one thing after another with this van, this morning we had no gas, changing to a new bottle made no difference. I guess the regulator had failed. Called out a repair man and it started working again. Had the regulator changed to be on the safe side tho. Then the fridge temp control turned out to be faulty so has that replaced and now it won't work on gas. I'm beginning to think this van does not like me!

Archived