Replacement bed gas struts....

pepe63xnotuse

I'm looking at replacing the gas struts on our french bed..

At present they are "Stabilus Lift-o-mat" (650N)and even when we first had the van(at 18months old),they never really seemed up to the job..once bedding was in place,there was very little assistance felt (and now it needs rawling up and propping in place).

I've emailed Stabilus just asking if they could advise on direct(slightly stronger)replacements..

They tell me that my existing struts are now obsolete but they have two similar models both of which have more "oomph"( 700N and 750N) and both at £65 a pair (inc vat and delivery).

The thing is..I'm not sure how much an extra 50-100N of "oomph" will actually feel like in this application?... :-S

Has anyone "uprated" their bed struts in the past?..if so what was the result(..I should point out,that the mounting brackets seem pretty substantial so *should* be okay..).

Also,I've seen strut "re-gassing" advertised on the net..has anyone gone this route?..what were the costs?..was it worth the "faff about" of sending off the originals? Any specific company recommendations?.. etc

Thanks for any help and/or experiences ... ;-)

Hi. I have just sent my Stabilus struts off to S G S Engineering in Derby. when they receive them they will advise whether they are able to re-gas them at a cost of £17 to £18 each. The post office charged £9.75 postage. S G S can also supply replacement struts for £35 to £36 each. I hope to receive the struts by the weekend. Then I have the fun of putting them back on !! I found S G S to be very helpful

Hi again.

My Stabilus struts are on a Hymer over- cab bed and are rated at 2400n. Stabilus quoted me £70.50 each inclusive of postage. S G S are going to pressurise mine to 2500n. they don't advise going any higher as we might not be able to lower the bed. Visions of " Couple trapped in over-cab bed " We found the same as you that the bed was very heavy to lift with bedding on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Evryone.

I received my re-gassed struts from SGS within a couple of days. They were re-gassed to 2600n at my request. The cost including carriage was only £36.36 for the pair. Re-fitting was a tad awkward, but now SWMBO can lift the bed with relative ease. I suppose the next step could be an electrically operated bed. :$

Archived