Compressor Fridges

Mel E

Clive, I love your extremely biased posting to Ken about the advantages of absorption over compressor fridges. 'What's to go wrong with an absorption fridge?', you ask. As you well know, quite a lot: 1. They do not work well when the 'van is parked on sloping ground - even if it's only for a day in a Car Park whilst you go explore - and return to melted freezer contents. Not a problem with compressor fridges. 2. They use a lot of gas. You're OK because you've fitted a (very expensive) gas tank to solve that one! But a couple of extra leisure batteries are a lot less costly! 3. Absorption fridges do go wrong, which is why you've serviced yours and Dometic recommend annual checks/servicing. Compressor fridges are virtually all fitted with the same Danfoss Compressor/Motor arrangement - also likely to be used in your home fridge. Who ever has their home fridge or freezer serviced? 4. When we had an absorption fridge, we could never get its settings right - it was either warm beer or frozen lettuce. Lots of people seem to have the same problem. The compressor system does not have this problem - it works just like your fridge at home. 5. Yes compressor fridges do use electricity, so you need adequate battery power. If you are going to wild camp for long periods, then either you need a good solar power array or a compreesor may not be for you. But for the average user, I think they are brilliant. 6. In hot weather (over 25C ambient), both types of fridge need a fan-assisted extract for thie heat. In our van, it simply feeds into the kitchen extract vent, so no special fridge holes - and don't the two Dometic oned look really ugly? 7. All this is why virtually all the UK and Continental builders of van conversion specify Waeco or Vitrifrigo compressor fridges. Just thought I'd redress the balance a bit Clive! As ever where motorhoming is concerned, it's each to their own! Mel

Hi Mel, Hope thongs are OK. Balance re-dressed. Personally we have never had any problems with absorbtion fridges but my viewpoint was put with tounge in cheek a tad expecting a responce from someone! I serviced the fridge because I thought it was about time!! Considering the manufacturers recomendations it certainlywas. I trust you agree with the requirements for being able to take away extracted heat though? Our best domestic fridge we had at home was an Electrolux absorbtion type. It was changed only because the casing was well on its way and the plastic inside had had its day. Janet choice replacement was a Hotpoint (compressor) which makes us jump when it starts up. My engineers eye means that I can park always level enough to not worry about the fridge in the van. From an energy carrying viewpoint the amount of storred energy in a 6 KG bottle of propane is many many times more than that capable of being stored in a lead acid battery of similar mass. Even though compressor fridges are more efficient the weight disadvantage provided by massive batteries for those who wild camp for several days at a time means that Gas wins this facet of the arguement. If however one always uses sites with hookup then the compressor fridge is to be commended, but it still needs some good air flow to take the heat away. Hope to continue this debate at Lincoln. But matey still hasn,t said what fridge it is yet! Time for a cold beer. Best regards Clive

Sorry, Clive, not Lincoln this year. I have to fit in a 2-week safari to Botswana, etc., starting in a week. And before you put your tongue in your cheek again and ask any silly questions - no, it's not in the motorhome!

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-07-03 3:02 PM Clive, 3. Absorption fridges do go wrong, which is why you've serviced yours and Dometic recommend annual checks/servicing. Compressor fridges are virtually all fitted with the same Danfoss Compressor/Motor arrangement - also likely to be used in your home fridge. Who ever has their home fridge or freezer serviced? [/QUOTE] Had my home freezer go wrong, doubled my electric bill one quater :'(

Archived