Heaters

Bigron

Not sure, Ron, if your question is answerable as it stands.

Do you want the heater to use when your motorhome is connected to a 230V hook-up, say on a skiing holiday or at an all-year-round campsite? Or do you want the heater to warm the vehicle's interior when it's not being used to reduce the chance of frost or damp damage? In the first case you'd need a fairly powerful heater; in the second case not.

There's a wide selection of 230V heaters suitable for either scenario advertised on this website

http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Heaters-c-43.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000W-PORTABLE-SILENT-ELECTRIC-FLOOR-FAN-HEATER-HOT-COOL-UPRIGHT-/310357519927?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item4842bfee37

good for instant heat and .....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-Free-Baby-Column-Heater/dp/B002DGTMJE/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1346957824&sr=8-17

for maintainging heat and overnight frost protection.

We have both and one night last winter we slept snug as bugs in rugs and awoke to a very heavy frost outside and us in a lovely warm MH.  The advantage with the rad is it is oil free so in the remotest chance of a catastrophic failure there's no chance of an oil fire.

Hi Ron,

I use an oil filled radiator in our 6.5m M/H over the winter to stop things freezing (and yes I do drain down).

It is a 2kW from Screwfix and works very well. I did try a 750W but it just was not up to the job.

The only problem is that it's Minimum temp setting kept the MH at around 7ºC which I thought was a bit excessive, so I bought a Danfoss Frost room thermostat off eBay for less than a tenner and wired it into a short extension lead so I can now control the temp at around 2 to 3ºC and save electricity.

I do not run it on a time clock as what happens if you get daytime temps below freezing? Yes, your MH freezes during the day! My room thermostat is the answer to this problem.

Keith.

Ron hi

We have taken both caravans & motorhome out to the Alps in winter for skiing holidays. Simply use a bog standard small fan heater (1.5 - 2KW I think?)

It has kept us perfectly warm in temperatures down to -15C

We take a spare just in case, but have never used it. We have the back-up of gas heating but rarely use it as we are paying for electric so why bother?

Have to be sensible, don't run it overnight (have double duvet, 1 under, 1 over) The only downside is someone (usually me!) has to get up to turn it on in the mornings but after 10 mins the temp is up and acceptable.

Also have to be careful if using other mains electric appliances eg electric kettle - if you exceed your amp rating - normally 10amps, then the trip flics off.

Neither the van nor caravans have been winterised so we don't use the onboard water tank or toilet, but the sites we use have all the facilities so they are not required.

Hi Ron

Type of heater will depend on use & if you want to keep the Van warm overnight.

For speedy rise in temperature a Fan Heater will be the best option. Downside - like gas heating not recomended to be left on overnight & noise can be a source of irritation & generally require m.ore floor space

For overnight use an Oil-filled Radiator will be the best. Downside - heavier & they take longer to hinitially heat up the Van.

Another consideration in favour of the Oil-filled Radiator, is that it is much safer for drying outdoor clothes.

7 metre A-class motorhome here.

Mostly we use the MH gas heating system, as we very rarely stay on "proper" sites.

We do carry a little electric fan heater: 800 watt and (I think) 1600) power for use if ever we are on a campsite with mains electric hookup here in Spain/France/Portugal etc during the winter.

We only ever use it on the Low, 800 watt setting to avoid overloading site/aire EHU trip-switches, which are often much lower amperage in mainland Europe than Brits are used to at home.........But even just on 800 watts, the van warms up very nicely in 5/10 minutes.

Got it secondhand for a few euros, and it weighs virtually buggerall.

Archived