campsite fees in europe while towing a car

nickyclive

There has been a lot of letters in MMM about being charged for a second car on campsites in Britain while towing one with a motorhome. Does anyone have any idea if this also happens on European sites? We will be towing a Smart car on a braked trailer for the first time in Europe for our holiday this year and would be grateful for any advice about this.

Hi. Nickyclive, Yes, I`m afraid quite a number of sites abroad DO charge for towed cars on A frames or trailers. We stopped towing 2 years ago but even then it was a growing practice. Also, there was a problem, at some sites, in finding space to park one`s trailer within the allotted camping plot. Best to choose sites away from the "high density " areas. Aud Shaw.

The problem is that most foreign camsites now have a menub of charges, including a separate charge for a car. This was intended to apply to caravanners with two cars and tent campers with a car rather than bikes. Unfortunately A-frame and trailer towers thereby have a problem and get charged. But I cannot understand the 'space' problem. Since all tuggers seem to get plots big enough for caravan, car and a huge awning room (ruining the grass for the next pitch users!), surely accommodating a car or trailer isn't a problem. We never found it to be one.

Thank you for replying. I do agree with Mel E about space, a motorhome and car takes no more space than a caravan and car. The caravan club does not have a problem with the extra car ( I guess we will have to just use these sites in UK ). While we are in Europe we are on holiday so it does not matter so much. I just wanted some idea of what to expect.

Archived