Buyer found for Bentley

Andrew MMM

I suppose much depends on which of Gordon Bentley's skills Vanmaster are interested in >:-)

IMO his motorhome designs have usually been progressive & anticipating what the market wants, so they could be attractive to Vanmaster. But his business / financial management is another matter, based on past history.

What will be interesting is how the 'fit' between Vanmaster and Bentley works out.

Vanmaster builds annually a very small number of money-no-object 'traditional' caravans. As far as I can make out these caravans are sold directly from the Vanmaster factory at Wigan and mandatory servicing, warranty repairs, etc. are also carried out there.

UK motorhome manufacturers don't normally operate like that, and the few that do either concentrate on panel-van conversions or expensive bespoke designs. In both cases production runs are small.

The Bentley range comprised coachbuilt models that, although not cheap, were competitively priced. These vehicles were sold through a 7-strong dealership network. It seems reasonable to assume that this conventional production/marketing strategy was unable to generate sufficient profitability for the company to remain viable in the present financial climate.

Vanmaster's stated intention is to produce Bentley motorhomes at a lower volume than previously and to sell the vehicles directly (a statement that appears to conflict with the report that "Vanmaster is also meeting with the Bentley dealer network about which, if any, of them will sell Bentley motorhomes again when production restarts.")

Cost-savings can clearly be achieved by direct selling, but low-volume and low-pricing are not natural bedfellows. Will future Bentley motorhomes be like Vanmaster caravans, targeting the 'favoured few' who have luxury and perceived build quality at the very top of their priority list and price towards the bottom? If there's to be no dealership network, will potential buyers of Bentley motorhomes be prepared to travel to Mexborough in Yorkshire for their vehicle and to have it regularly serviced there? Will the prices of Bentley motorhomes inexorably creep up if, as seems probable, Vanmaster chooses to play the high-quality card? If that did happen, would UK motorcaravanners (with a huge selection of UK- and Continental European-built motorhomes to choose from) be prepared to pay more for Bentleys being marketed as premium products with prices to match?

I recall that maybe 5 or 6 years ago Vanmaster made a PVC that was really nice with lots of innovation and what seemed like good build quality. I saw it at one of the NEC shows and was taken by it. I don't know if they ever sold any though, I've never seen one in use.

There is, I think, good potential for some decent 'vans here. 

But, if I were steering the company, I'd be troubled by the expressed demand for high quality British motorhomes. Those who buy British often seem powerless in the presence of shiny things, irrespective of quality.

I don't think that there is room for another high end motorhome as there are quite a few already and are mostly sold as a premium product by very established players, ie burstner, pilot, et al. somehow the term high quality and made in britain motorhomes doesn't seem to inspire confidence for me to shell out megabcks. especially as they probably won't be around very long.

crinklystarfish - 2012-09-08 9:22 AMI recall that maybe 5 or 6 years ago Vanmaster made a PVC that was really nice with lots of innovation and what seemed like good build quality. I saw it at one of the NEC shows and was taken by it. I don't know if they ever sold any though, I've never seen one in use.

There is, I think, good potential for some decent 'vans here. 

But, if I were steering the company, I'd be troubled by the expressed demand for high quality British motorhomes. Those who buy British often seem powerless in the presence of shiny things, irrespective of quality.

That was the "Troodos"http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Features/Editorial/New-motorhomes-the-2007-Vanmaster-Troodos/_ch1_ft100_pg1http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0No obvious indication on-line of a secondhand Troodos ever being offered for sale, so either none were sold or they were so fantastic the original buyers plan to keep them forever.

Archived