which satellite dish

jwj

Hi all,

I am looking to fit either a Camos crank up or Isat automatic dish on a panel van. This will mainly used be in Ireland and Scotland. I would be pleased if anyone could let me have their experience of either of these systems.

The reason i ask is that i have been told that an Isat automatic would be easier to fit to my van. However i was also told that the Isat was at the margin of reception in the UK and Ireland and the better option was the camos crank up.

The question then is, how much depends on the dish and how much depends on the footprint of the astra2 signal?

I hope this is not a daft question, but i am totally new to this.

Thanks Jim.

We have a 360 mm dia dish bought at Maplins for £60 it gets Astra 2 down to the France Spain border, in good weather. It only takes 10 mins to stick it on the roof and find the satelite with a sat finder and 2 mins to pack away before moving off. In high wind I mount it on a stake in the ground.

We are presently in the French Alps and there is no problems with it.

I would not like to think I had paid over £1000 for a system that did not perform in Scotland or Ireland.

jwj - 2012-09-07 5:06 PM

The reason i ask is that i have been told that an Isat automatic would be easier to fit to my van. However i was also told that the Isat was at the margin of reception in the UK and Ireland and the better option was the camos crank up.

The question then is, how much depends on the dish and how much depends on the footprint of the astra2 signal?

I hope this is not a daft question, but i am totally new to this.

Thanks Jim.

The footprint of astra is the same for any receiving sytem, the gain of the receiving antenna (dish or whatever)

is the thing that makes the difference. The higher the gain (in Db usually) the better the sytem will perform.

There are other factors like a low noise LNB and low loss cable etc. but basically, the more Dbs of gain the better the received signal.

H

We have the Camos crank up on the van were selling it is very good we have never not been able to set it up, but I think O.H fancies the diamond shape not sure were that is available but I know it is supposed to be a bit better because of the tilt !! ;-) you men might know what that means !! I dont. (lol)

I love our camps flat sat but, here in the ile de re, I have noticed that we must have perfect line of sight to get a signal despite others with dishes (roof mounted or free standing) seemingly pointing successfully through all sorts of foliage!! Any views on the different abilities of these dishes?

Thanks to those of you who replied with info on camos crank up systems. It seems you are all happy with them, your comments are much appreciated.

I will start another post regarding the Isat systems as i have been unable to find any reviews on line.

Thanks Jim.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just had an I Sat dish and Avatex w164drs TV fitted to my panel van. The I Sat is locking on efficiently and looks compact on the roof of a small van. Thanks to all who replied to my original post which helped me decide on the I Sat.

Thanks Jim.

Sorry missed your first post.

Dave Newal has i sat I believe and has more experiance of it.

I think you may have misinterperated info you have been given, or worded post badly, the i sat should have no problem picking up astra 2 in uk, might struggle in nortern scotland in heavy rain, it's when you leave uk it will gradualy lose signal.

bolero boy - 2012-09-08 8:48 AM

I love our camps flat sat but, here in the ile de re, I have noticed that we must have perfect line of sight to get a signal despite others with dishes (roof mounted or free standing) seemingly pointing successfully through all sorts of foliage!! Any views on the different abilities of these dishes?

Further to my previous post, we are now a little north of Valencia at Benicassim and we have sky sports and movies on the Flatsat crankup.

I would suggest going for the slightly larger Plus model for anything further south which can also be skewed

we also have the twin LNB model for our sky hd box.

jwj - 2012-10-25 7:07 PM

Hi All,

Just had an I Sat dish and Avatex w164drs TV fitted to my panel van. The I Sat is locking on efficiently and looks compact on the roof of a small van. Thanks to all who replied to my original post which helped me decide on the I Sat.

Thanks Jim.

Hi as we are changing next week to a panel van, and leaving the Camos crankup on the old one, can you give us information on this ISat and where did you fit it? and on WHAT van?? :-D

bolero boy - 2012-09-08 8:48 AM

If I can't get a signal because of trees or even, in one case, a cliff, I always point the antenna at the rough direction of the satellite and put a DVD on. I have witnessed dishes going round and round and even a minor "domestic|" in one case as they strove to get a signal. After all if I have a signal they should have one :D

H

I have fitted and used both systems but I've never been to the North of Scotland. I had a flatsat crankup on our last motorhome and it worked superbly everywhere except Vyrnwy in mid Wales where there are just toomany trees. I now have an ISat on our current motorhome and so far it has worked perfectly every wherewe've been, unfortunately most of those locations have been motorhome show locations so wide open spaces in mainland UK (Peterborough, Newbury, Lincoln, Malvern etc.) In theory both units should work in Northern Scotland but without knowing of either system being used succesfully up there I'd be hesitant to vouchsafe their performance. The Isat is a nice compact little unit and it can be easily painted to match the van's paintwork, ours is painted red and black in the style of a ladybird.

D.

Hi Maggyd.

Isat and tv were fitted in N.Ireland by M and E motorhomes of Lisburn, to my IH Tio 2.8JTD.

I suggest you look on motorhome tech website and then talk to Ian. He advised me that he has fitted a number of these units. If i had been near him i would have dealt with him.

Hope this helps. Jim

If you intend using your van abroad wait for a couple of months to see the affect of the new satellite will have on reception. Preliminary indications suggest that beams will be more tightly focussed on the UK meaning that larger dishes might be required. I would certainly not buy a small dish during this period of uncertainty.

jwj - 2012-10-27 4:07 PM

Hi Maggyd.

Isat and tv were fitted in N.Ireland by M and E motorhomes of Lisburn, to my IH Tio 2.8JTD.

I suggest you look on motorhome tech website and then talk to Ian. He advised me that he has fitted a number of these units. If i had been near him i would have dealt with him.

Hope this helps. Jim

Thanks Jim,

but my O.H will be fitting it himself whatever we get we will decide when he has had a good trawl around to see which is the most value (lol) he isnt known for buy big priced equipment if he can get away with doing the same job cheaper.

thanks maggy

Mike88 - 2012-10-27 5:02 PM

If you intend using your van abroad wait for a couple of months to see the affect of the new satellite will have on reception. Preliminary indications suggest that beams will be more tightly focussed on the UK meaning that larger dishes might be required. I would certainly not buy a small dish during this period of uncertainty.

Thanks Mike, yes John did mention something about things changing, and yes we do use it abroad our Camos has never let us down all through France and through Switzerland Germany etc; as long as your not too near tall tree,s which goes for any I should think.

maggy

Archived