Alternative area to Brittany???

kevandali

Hi all I have had loads of really useful info from my previous posts regarding heading for Brittany from Dunkerque. A spanner might have been thrown into the works as the boss (Ali) has realised just how far away Brittany is from Dunkerque.*-) Should have dug deeper into the wifes pockets and gone for St Milo?!? At the moment we are going to head for Honfleur once we get over there but I would like to know of any other region that we might explore that is not as far away from Dunkerque. I have looked east but there doesn't seem to be as many Aires? Brittany is still on the cards but if I can get info on a valid alternative if necessary then at least we have the option. Brittany sounds so good that even if we don't make it that far west this time we will definitely visit at a later date. Main considerations at the moment are beaches and sea for the kids which means happy kids, happy wife and a happy hubby relaxing, sampling the wine and cheese and maybe the cheap beer :-D As always any info much appreciated Kevandali

you could always follow the coast line south from Dunkirk, it's ok after Boulogne, the Somme area is a bit marshy, with its large river estauary, but beyond that the Normandy coast is ok. not sure about the beaches tho. you can also head north to Belgium and Netherlands - lots of beaches but neither country is in to Aires, although Belgian beer more than compensates. I would say take a deep breath and go for Brittany - but then I frequently suffer from crepe withdrawal symptoms (lol) - it will add 1 day coming and going but it's great when you stop! Do you have far to travel in the UK to get to Dover? B-) PS, some Aires are not much cheaper than campsites, especially Municipal sites.

Cheers twooks I am working on convincing the other half that Brittany is the place to head for. I wrongly assumed that the aires were cheaper than campsites so have not looked at campsites in the brittany area. if prices are similar I might opt for the occasional campsite, got any good examples? We live in Cumbria so have a four hour drive to Doncaster area (stopping for bacon sarnies) then at least another 4 hours down to Dover. I am sure whereever we end up, it will be great, thanksfor the info, keep it coming Kevandali

Yes, Brittany is a goodly drive there and back from Dunkerque, but you can do it all on autoroute (much of it toll-free) and, once in Brittany itself, there is a network of low traffic-volume, motorway-standard roads to make distance on. I note your intention to make Honfleur your initial target destination. As (presumably) you wouldn't be hanging around there long to take in the touristy sights, you might consider Forges-les-Eaux instead for your first stop-over. This is a south-east of Dieppe, about 20km south-east of Junction 10 of the (free) A28 via the D915. The town itself is attractive and has the best aire de services/ camping-car parking area I know of (see www.campingcar-infos.com for more details). There's also a brilliant Relais Routiers restaurant just off A28 Junction 10. Aires de services are there to provide motorcaravanners with fresh water and to permit emptying of waste. Although the tariff for such services can (in very rare instances) approach the price of an overnight stay on an inexpensive campsite (inclusive of water, waste emptying, etc.), it's perfectly possible to have a totally 'free' motorcaravanning holiday by judicious selection of the aires one visits and that's definitely not going to be true if you stay on campsites. Your potential problems, as I see them, are that a) you are into tourist high season and b) you are keen to stay near the sea. July/August is when free/cheap 'official' camping-car parking areas come under heavy pressure for available space and, unsurprisingly, the seaside ones most of all. It's also when campsites make their profits. When we started motorcaravanning in 1998 I used to treat touring in France and not paying for water, waste-emptying and overnight stops as an entertaining intellectual exercise. Since then I've learned some sense and, although we seldom use campsites in the colder months (when the majority of French campsites are closed anyway), we tend nowadays to avoid aires and 'wild camping' during the period June through September, preferring the relative tranquillity of municipal campsites and France Passion sites. During a fortnight in Brittany last March we paid about 15 Euros for services/night-stops (1 night on campsite) and during our recent June Loire-area trip around 36 Euros (5 nights on campsite). I'm aware of lots of coastal camping-car parking spots in Brittany that are likely to be deserted in March and likely to be heavily frequented on a June weekend. As we haven't travelled in France in July/August I've no practical experience of how busy these places are then, but logically things will be pretty hectic. Personally, if I were in your position, I'd be tempted to visit the coast during the day but stay overnight a little way inland, possibly at lakeside leisure centres that are commonplace in France. If you want to maintain domestic harmony, I'd certainly be wary of traipsing around the coast late-afternoon trying to find somewhere nice to stay. As far as alternatives to Brittany are concerned, I've never visited Belgium or the French coast east of Dieppe. There are excellent beaches from Dieppe westwards and all around the Manche peninsula, but, if you can reach near Honfleur at the beginning of your trip, I think you might as well bite the bullet and head on to Brittany subsequently.

In addition to Derek's comments I'd add this.  Brittany is very popular with the French, and especially so with French Camping caristes.  They (mainly Parisians) head straight for all those pretty little resorts around the coast en masse around the beginning of July (i.e. now!)and only start drifting off around the middle of August.  I subscribe to a French motorhoming magazine and there are frequent articles about the backlash that is beginning to develop among the French against their own motorhomers. 

This has arisen (apart from the sheer pressure of numbers) because the coastline is (generally) backed by cliffs, so flat land is at a premium near the coast/beaches.  Such parking as there is therefore tends to be near/on the quays of the ports and this quickly gets filled with motorhomes (we do like a nice sea view don't we).  The collective effect of the serried ranks of 'vans is to spoil the view for everyone else, because they can't see over the large white wall so created, and for the local restaurants/hotels to complain of lost trade because motorhomes, whose owners, generally, don't use their services, have taken all the available parking space and their potential custom has gone elsewhere.

Therefore, realistically, you must expect two things: 1) restrictions on motorhome parking during the main season and 2) that what parking there is will have been nobbled by the French who will have got there first!  You're unlikely to beat them at it, its their patch, and they are of course fluent in the lingo!

I'm not saying you won't find somewhere, but it will be a struggle and your trips to the beach etc will take quite a lot of time as you search out suitable parking.  You may have more luck if you set out late in the day since the French do tend to a religious observation of their meals so tend to leave the beach around 6:30 - 7:00 pm.  However, the semi resident motorhomers will, of course remain.

I think your best bet will be to seek out an inland campsite with a pool.  That will keep your children reasonably happy and will guarantee them some social contact with the other prisoners (oops, guests) to boot.  Having found yourselves a civilised base (definition to be supplied by reader) explore from that and see what eles you can sniff out.  If you head for one of the large, fully serviced sites with "animations" for les enfants, you may find they are fully booked or won't accommodate you for less than a week in high season.  Therefore your best bet overall will probably be to target somewhere more modest further inland.  Sources: Michelin campsites guide, Caravan Club Caravan Europe 1.  You may have to try a few, so you'll need to allow time for searching once you get to Brittany: alternatively try booking on-line for whatever is the minimum period.  Many of the larger sites have internet booking links, and this is one area where the French have adopted internet and e-mail reasonably well.

Finally, if you can, try to avoid travelling at weekends because that is still when most of the French set out/return.  Monday mornings can be quite good for arriving at campsites, not too early though, say around 11:00 am, when you may be able to pick up a recently vacated pitch before anyone eles does.  Since you will be going to Brittany I'd suggest you stay well away from the main roads/autoroutes if youll be travelling home at the end of July.  There is this celebrated summer weekend when half the French are going off for their August break and meet the other half returning from their July break: head on is traditional, and the jams have to be seen to be believed!

Unfortunately, you've chosen to visit one of Europe's holiday hotspots at peak time and you'll have to compromise somewhere to save your sanity and your marriage!

However, forewarned is forearmed so, best of luck!

Regards

we used to live near Preston and now are about 30 miles from Hull. I always hated any slog south particularly having to pass the the big city blocks of Birmingham and London. We often compromised by travelling to Portsmouth then coming back from Zeebrugge using P&O their exorbitant prices covered by using Tesco vouchers. Found some great spots round Cherbourg, Caen and Le Havre, and Brugge and Ghent on the way back. Unfortunately P&O no longer run those routes but it may be worth your while exploring the Tesco Clubcard voucher options - altho they have recently reclassified their Credit card so that you don't get as good a deal it may still be worth while. You would get to / from Hull in not much more than the time taken to get to Doncaster. Do try Brittany, it's well worth the trouble imo, or contact tourist info sites in Belgium and Netherlands, they have always been very helpful. http://www.visitflanders.com/ http://www.visitbelgium.com/ http://www.holland.com/uk/ have fun B-)

Or try my favourite route (because I live nearly next-door) - Newhaven - Dieppe.  Not that much more costly than Do-Cal and, even if the UK mileage from where you live is about the same as to Dover, it'll save you around 100 miles each way in France.  That's about £35 in diesel on the average Fiat based motorhome.

Enjoy

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-07-04 12:52 PM I think your best bet will be to seek out an inland campsite with a pool. That will keep your children reasonably happy and will guarantee them some social contact with the other prisoners (oops, guests) to boot. Having found yourselves a civilised base (definition to be supplied by reader) explore from that and see what eles you can sniff out. [/QUOTE] Cheers for all the info again, I have now resigned myself to the fact that my original plan of care free meandering between Aires along the coast was a bit too optimistic. I/we plan to leave Dunkerque and our first stop needs to be either near the sea/beach for the kids or as Brian says, a campsite with a pool. I can imagine when we have spent all that time in the van the kids will be desperate to let off some steam. So peeps- - - - - my question is:- [b]Where do I head for that is within 2 to 3 hours (or less) from Dunkerque in the right direction for Brittany and is either by the sea or inland with a pool? [/b] I have this nagging voice in the back of my mind that tells me we are going to be travelling for hours unable to find the right site for us with the wife and kids going crazy because the driver is going around in circles. :-( I feel I am worrying too much and should just get over there and what will be will be.

First, get yourselves one of the French campsite guides I mentioned.  Ideally get both.  Doing what your are doing, you'll almost certainly need something handy that you can refer to as you go along.  It's your family holiday, and you won't want to land up in some crappy, possibly badly maintained, site with half Europe's population of itinerants (sorry itinerants!) for company.  You'll just be left endlessly wondering whether, if you leave the 'van, it will have disappeared - along with the itinerants - by the time you get back.   Not a happy prospect!

Don't know when you leave, but I guess it's now a bit late for you to get the ACSI guide, which lists lots of sites.  However, keep your eyes peeled for signs in campsite reception areas for a (roughly) A4 green poster with ACSI on, in caps, I think in red.  If you're lucky they'll have a copy of the 2006 guide: around 5 Euros.  This will show you sites that subscribe to an out of season discount deal.  You won't be out of season, of course, but the sites will still be there!

Set your wife to navigating to the sites, then, if you're going in circles, it'll be her fault! 

Most of my comments were aimed at finding sites after you get to Brittany. 

Inland sites in NE France with pools are a bit thin on the ground.  You could try the Chateau de Ganspette near St Omer, but it is popular and may be fully booked.  Still, they have a website from which you can reserve, and they used to accept reservations even for 1 night, so do a search under that name.  Not cheap, though: but it does have quite a nice pool. 

Derek's suggestion is a nice site, though  I seem to remember the entrance as possibly a shade tight - although the pitches are fair sized.  Depends how big your van is, and no, even if you tell me, I can't say if it'll fit!

Also try doing an internet search under "camping France" and also under "ACSI".  That should get you to several websites with numerous links to sites, all organised by regions.  However, if you're pushed for time, I'd still say also get at least the Michelin.  It's always best to have more than one source as the websites tend to be non-selective, so a guide that pre-selects gives a better indication as to what to expect when you arrive.  The Michelin is pretty reliable overall.  Personally, I've never been able to get on with the unbiqutous Alan Rogers guides.  They always seem to look good at the audition, but seem somehow lacking on the first night!

However, if you do have the time before you go, get the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe" guide.  Vol 1 deals with France.  It's available to non-members - just costs a quid or two more.  All the comments are submitted by members of the club - and there aren't many sites in France they haven't visited!  The views are inevitably personal, but at least they are the views of campers who have used the sites and not of "inspectors" who often seem to miss drawbacks.  The entries generally "tell it like it is" , warts and all.  Only one caution, they are a bit hazy about facilities for motorhomes, and on actual distances to shops etc (they're mainly tuggers, see, so don't use/understand the motorhome facs and mainly drive to the shops: 10 minutes walk can be way off beam!)  You can get the guide in larger bookshops or through the Club's website.  Just search under Caravan Club.  Or I think you can buy direct by 'phone on your card.

Good luck

Go for it - you will love Brittany. I can only suggest a couple of camp sites - both of which Charles and I have stayed at - www.chateau-drancourt.com not far from St Valery Sur Somme - 81 miles from Dunkerque all singing and dancing - indoor and outdoor pool, restaurant (which I can recommend) etc etc. and www.camping-catiniere.com a few miles to the east of Honfleur 193 miles down from Dunkerque - small site, outdoor pool, children's playground. Make the journey down part of the holiday - we always do, there is so much to stop and see - seems a pity to race through Picardy! I use the viamichelin web site for directions - and I think it's good. And do stop at Mont St Michel! it's magical Enjoy only another 6 weeks before we make our way to Dover for the trip over to Dunkerque and then where??? - we will make that decision when we get there! but Mont St Michel is a definite destination..... regards Carol in Grantham

Let her share the driving, there are some good courses with the main clubs. Then you can easily be in Italy in two days. As for stopping overnight , wait till you have had enough and consult the Caravan Club guides Or the French Aires book or just look for some where that looks nice. Once you take the first step and stop all the preplanning you will love it.

Will you be travelling from Cumbria straight on to ferry? in which case I wouldn't plan on travelling that much on the other side. a site that always gets plugged is at Guines just outside Calais, has pool and play area and shop/bar/take-away, the staff speak excellent English if you have a problem. BUT, .. .. I think the full price is steep, and if you are going in main season then I don't think there are many deals available to you. Alternatively, St Valery sur Somme is a nice distance. but I think you'll find most of these type of sites come expensive. You could always try the Municipal site at Grand Fort St Phillipe, it's about 10 minutes from the ferry, handy for beach, town and Super-U! B-)

Archived