From what does AS make its motorhome walls

Brock

I'm wondering what the 2013 model Auto-Sleeper walls are made from. For example, are they wood-framed with polystyrene or wood free and full of polyurethane which I think my Hymer has - their pual technology?

I'm looking to understand which models are least likely to suffer from damp. I understand polystyrene has the lowest resistance to 'water vapour diffusion', then expanded polystyrene, then extruded polystyrene and then polyurethane. Strength of the product also seems linked to water vapour diffusion although this may be coincidence.

I know other factors come into the equation such as whether metal or wood is used as a frame or for fixing and whether aluminium and steel come into contact.

Brock - 2012-09-09 3:08 PM

I'm wondering what the 2013 model Auto-Sleeper walls are made from. For example, are they wood-framed with polystyrene or wood free and full of polyurethane which I think my Hymer has - their pual technology?...

Ignoring the "Executive" (GRP monocoque body) and panel-van conversions, current Auto-Sleepers motorhomes have traditional wood-framed body panels with a GRP outer skin and Styrofoam (closed-cell extruded polystyrene foam) insulation. Bodywork mouldings are in GRP and (I'm pretty sure) the side-skirts are aluminium.

Thank you, Derek.

AutoSleepers have a good reputation, are British and make coachbuilts in the sizes that fit us. However, they are over specified for our need and with old fashioned interiors.I wanted to know where the money didn't go because they are pricey. I'll have to cross them off my list of vans because it seems they scrimp on build but not spec and I had enough trouble of that approach with my pre-German vans.

Brock - 2012-09-16 9:13 AM

I'll have to cross them off my list of vans because it seems they scrimp on build but not spec and I had enough trouble of that approach with my pre-German vans.

I've always thought that A/S are well-specced and well-built, which is probably why they are considered a bit pricey.

Brock - 2012-09-16 9:13 AM

Thank you, Derek.

AutoSleepers have a good reputation, are British and make coachbuilts in the sizes that fit us. However, they are over specified for our need and with old fashioned interiors.I wanted to know where the money didn't go because they are pricey. I'll have to cross them off my list of vans because it seems they scrimp on build but not spec and I had enough trouble of that approach with my pre-German vans.

If you are going to equate a motorhome manufacturer scrimping on build quality to the manufacturer using sandwich-construction body panels, then you'll need to cross off your shopping-list the majority of motorhome brands.

I've a magazine article showing the construction used by Notin. This French motorhome manufacturer constructs its own body panels, starting with a simple wood frame into which pieces of "Klegecell"

http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Core_Materials-US/DIAB_Group-US/diab_group-us.html

insulation are placed. Then the outer (aluminium) and inner (plywood) skins are bonded to the frame. Notin builds exclusively on Mercedes chassis and prices start at around €80k and run right up to €234k. So wood-framed sandwich-construction bodywork is not just used by 'cheapskate' converters.

Auto-Sleepers models don't attract me either, as I'm not interested in a 'British' specification (eg. with a domestic-size oven as standard capable of cooking a Xms turkey), but many UK-buyers actively seek such things. But aren't Swift Group and Auto-Trail motorhomes equivalent in design and specification to Auto-Sleepers products much the same price and don't they use much the same construction methods?

If, like me, you don't want/need a 'British' specification motorcaravan, then you probably won't be attracted by a UK-built motorhome and the construction/price of such vehicles won't be factors in the buying process.

Nicely put. As you say, at the end of the day it is down to personal choice on marque and layout plus total cost. I'm old fashioned and conservative and like the A/S marque. My neighbour has a very beautiful new Knaus which is lovely but the interior just didn't work for me..... Very nice van though, Mike if you're reading this! ;-)

Archived