Another holiday another crisis!

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

To avoid further wheel nut or brake cylinder saga's and last minute dashes coz of traffic, we stopped last night at the Drum Inn literally 2mins from the chunnel, so we embarked nice and early refreshed and with a smug look on my chops because that old b****r "Sods Law" hadn't got me this time..............

The train attendant came along to do his chocks and doors routine, I sit back and watch as first the doors for the carriage in front swing shut and the roller shutters comes down.........then our doors swing shut and .......ang on a minute.......the roller shutter dont move and the alarms still bleeping *-)

By this time the attendants halfway down the train.........so I gets out as by now the train is moving and I has a butchers at the door behind us at thats stuck up as well, but just before I start pushing the intercom button he turns up with a mate........who employ the traditional method of waggling and kicking things gets the door to shut :D...............Great thinks I.......Then he tries to open them again.........

Stuck down 8-)...........this time waggling and kicking didn't work........so he's on the radio to get the engineers to meet us when we arrive.......... *-) I could see the likely scenario hours sat on the train in 30+ degrees :-( ............BUT help arrives.....another attendant who apparently has the magjic finger........and it works..........All hail the magjic finger :-D .........

But is this the crisis to which I refer?.........No...........It's b***dy Sunday and I forgot France dont open on a Sunday....... so I've got no wine or beer to cool me down on this boiling hot aire >:-(

Guest JudgeMental
one of the few things I really admire about France is that they respect Sunday tradition..........unlike this heathen godforsaken country *-)

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-09-13 8:51 PM

Dave the pelmet,

You are an accident waiting to happen, ever thought of changing your name to Jonah?

I dunno Malcolm.......I just seem to be one of those blokes stuff appens too 8-) ........

but I have just emerged from the bog where I trapped myself.......with Two flies.....

2 nil to pelmetman.........oh........ and I fell over earlier whilst having a pee in a ditch........it seemed to amuse the family :-S

JudgeMental - 2012-09-13 3:39 PM

one of the few things I really admire about France is that they respect Sunday tradition..........unlike this heathen godforsaken country *-)

Yes, not so much for the "religion" (they're no more likely to be in church than your average Brit - neither am I when I'm over there!).

It's just a calm, peaceful day. OK, so we have to remember to do our shopping on Saturday, but it's worth it for the general sense of "chilled-out-ness."

Even the places that do open, like the bakers, will say "bon dimanche" instead of "bonne journeé" as you're leaving.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-09-14 10:03 AM

Sorry to disillusion you Judge & Tony, but some of the supermarkets are now open on Sunday mornings ... so it is spreading .... :-S

True Mel but there's more shut than open....................but at least us heathens have got a foot in the door :D............wont be long before they start charging UK prices for fuel and alcohol 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Dithering now :-S...............parked up at Saint Brevin les Pins.......been nice and warm and sunny during the day, but cool in the morning and at night, a bit like Spain in January ;-)...........Forecast say's a low coming in 8-).................had planned to head back up around Brittany.......but thinking the Dordogne or further South now..............decisions decisions *-)...............Its not easy this campervaning lark :D

pelmetman - 2012-09-20 11:13 AM

Dithering now :-S...............parked up at Saint Brevin les Pins.......been nice and warm and sunny during the day, but cool in the morning and at night, a bit like Spain in January ;-)...........Forecast say's a low coming in 8-).................had planned to head back up around Brittany.......but thinking the Dordogne or further South now..............decisions decisions *-)...............Its not easy this campervaning lark :D

Head for the Dordogne & Lot areas matey.

Then when weather turns as Autumn gathers pace, head even further south to Provence region.

Sorted.

Guest pelmetman
BGD - 2012-09-20 5:03 PM

pelmetman - 2012-09-20 11:13 AM

Head for the Dordogne & Lot areas matey.

Then when weather turns as Autumn gathers pace, head even further south to Provence region.

Sorted.

Yep loaded up and ready to hit the road tomorrow ;-) ......................always reckon it's better to travel when it's raining :D...........Not done Provence properly yet, but we have less than 3 weeks left 8-)

Guest pelmetman

Well that was interesting :-S............currently on our favorite French site in the Dordogne at Brantome, enjoying an English summers day..........ie mild and wet *-).........but we're British so that won't stop us going out for lunch to the same restaurant we went to in May by the bridge.........turned up and they hadn't bothered to set up the outside part, but their hawker/waiter spotted us and invited us in to the restaurant, I pointed to Troy and in fluent frongalie said "acceptovu un chein?"......."we we no problem" he replied.......maybe he recognized us from May :D............or more likely he recognized 60 euro's worth of punter ;-).......

Anyway went in sat down by the door and the customers on the next table started creating because they had a dog aswell *-).........the dogs just ignored each other :D.......so the waiter indicates for us to follow him to the up stairs restaurant which was pretty full........... anyway get settled order our scran.......every things fine......until *-)

A bit of background here, Troy's a rescue and we're his 3rd home, but he's great apart from when I cook lamb 8-)..........he runs around looking at the sky and barks :-S...........dunno why......maybe he was caught in a heavy bbq lamb storm as a puppy? :'(

Yep you guessed it some one ordered lamb 8-)..........can't go back there again :$

pelmetman - 2012-09-25 2:23 PM

Well that was interesting :-S............currently on our favorite French site in the Dordogne at Brantome, enjoying an English summers day..........ie mild and wet *-).........but we're British so that won't stop us going out for lunch to the same restaurant we went to in May by the bridge.........turned up and they hadn't bothered to set up the outside part, but their hawker/waiter spotted us and invited us in to the restaurant, I pointed to Troy and in fluent frongalie said "acceptovu un chein?"......."we we no problem" he replied.......maybe he recognized us from May :D............or more likely he recognized 60 euro's worth of punter ;-).......

Anyway went in sat down by the door and the customers on the next table started creating because they had a dog aswell *-).........the dogs just ignored each other :D.......so the waiter indicates for us to follow him to the up stairs restaurant which was pretty full........... anyway get settled order our scran.......every things fine......until *-)

A bit of background here, Troy's a rescue and we're his 3rd home, but he's great apart from when I cook lamb 8-)..........he runs around looking at the sky and barks :-S...........dunno why......maybe he was caught in a heavy bbq lamb storm as a puppy? :'(

Yep you guessed it some one ordered lamb 8-)..........can't go back there again :$

Troy must be a Monty Python Dog......? Was he called Harold before you had him?

The sketch where the sheep are roosting in the trees..... & the French have commercial ideas for sheep.... hilarious!! :D :D :D

Guest pelmetman
Thanks for the link Jeremy ;-)....................I missed a lot of the Pythons being away at sea *-).......and now they're like a undiscovered gem........which I like to watch alone with a strange sheep or two 8-)

Guest pelmetman

Well that was a long short day 8-).....................

I'd said to Sue La Roque-Lageac is only two hours away.......and it was *-).................but we got there and pulled onto the aire and I joined the muttering French men around the machine :-S.................well if they couldn't understand it what hope have I *-).............In the end between us we sussed out its 3 euro's to park up to 7pm then its 7 euro's to stay for the night......that's 10 euro's 8-).........well I paid my 3 euro's *-........and we went for a wander up the hill........ well we got to the first terrace and that was it!.........."route barre"........went back downstairs for a wander along the road and all in all a bit of a disappointment :-(...................decided I'm not spending 7 euro's to stay here, and moved onto Domme where we last visited 25 years ago :D..................found the camping car parking and struggled to get comfortable and I'm only small in camping car terms *-) ............and 5 euro's for the night 8-)....................I ain't paying that, so after a stroll around the town and taking in the vista..........a very nice vista ;-)................I already had a plan "B" >:-)..............St Cyprien is a very nice town ;-.................and FREE :-D...............

Well it seems I'm not the only tight wad around here *-)..................the place was packed but I managed to squeeze onto the last space B-)........................did all the usual setting up bits ie put the fridge on gas and went for a wander :D........................nice town ............a proper town..........the sort of place we'd like to spend some time ;-) ..............so called in at the local info place to ask where the nearest supermarket was.........the nice lady gave Sue a map and it turned out there was one right behind the aire *-)...............well we retraced our steps and decided to leave Troy in the camper whilst we did the shopping...........got back in........and there's that ticking 8-)................I might be deaf, but I can still hear it :-S...................the fridge ain't working *-) *-) .....................I've got enough gas to make a reasonable sized bomb..............yet my frigging fridge has gone on strike *-) ..............

Now I'm in deepest darkest dordogne...........and my very shallow brain cell seem's to remembers a thread about fridge servicing not being part of the habitation service? :-S....................Putting 2 & 2 together as my shallow brain cell does on occasion..............I don't think my fridge has ever been serviced 8-)

Now on a campsite with EHC :D....................but looking on the bright side free wifee and 12 euro a night with indoor swimming pool B-)

There is a motto to this story......................and I'll post it when I'm sober :$

pelmetman - 2012-09-26 10:39 PM

*-)................. :-S............... *-)............. 8-)........ *-........ :-(.................. :D................. *-) ............ 8-)................... ;-)............... >:-)............. ;-................ :-D...............

*-)................. B-)....................... :D....................... ;-) ............. *-)............... 8-)............... :-S.................. *-) *-) .................... *-) ..............

:-S.................... 8-)

:D................... B-)

There is a motto to this story......................and I'll post it when I'm sober :$

Dave,

You've just given away your true identity.... (drum roll please),,,

You're real identity is .... AlFiona 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2012-09-27 8:32 AM

pelmetman - 2012-09-26 10:39 PM

*-)................. :-S............... *-)............. 8-)........ *-........ :-(.................. :D................. *-) ............ 8-)................... ;-)............... >:-)............. ;-................ :-D...............

*-)................. B-)....................... :D....................... ;-) ............. *-)............... 8-)............... :-S.................. *-) *-) .................... *-) ..............

:-S.................... 8-)

:D................... B-)

Dave,

You've just given away your true identity.... (drum roll please),,,

You're real identity is .... AlFiona 8-)

I'm just in touch with my emoticons that's all :D

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-09-27 4:35 PM

dave,

Why does a man of your age put up with all that hassle? Chill out babe and get organised, I bet when your best mate FG goes away on his climbing trips he makes sure he doesn't run out of scaffolding?

We've decided to stay put for the rest of the holiday here at Le Bugue ;-)..............Nice site 12 euro's a night with free wifi, indoor swimming pool, 15 min walk along river to a nice town B-)...........

Archived