First visit abroad with MH and dog

crbtaylor

We would like to become snowbirds and visit Spain and Portugal, travelling via France. Our requirements for sites are quite specific but not set in Stone! As I am partially sighted my wife is the sole driver but we like our bikes. I generally only cycle off road or very quiet roads. We would like a site close to the beach, near cycle paths that allow dogs in January/February. If anyone can recommend somewhere it would be appreciated. Also the law on dogs, do they have to be on leads at all times? Our dog is very well trained and runs along side our bikes without a harness without any problems. Would this be an offence abroad?

Lots of questions but few answers!!!

No takers so I will do my best as a non dog owner.

Unless your dog is one of the "Dangerous" sort or a trained guard dog it will be OK off lead. If considered dangerous it will need to be muzzled and on a lead. In town and villages the local Marie (Town Hall) have local laws and sometimes all dogs have to be on a lead. You can just go in and ask.

Most towns and villages do not like loose dogs so it might be best to put him on a lead.

From experience there are lots of loose dogs in France, mainly in the countryside. They belong to locals who just turn them out whilst they go off to work. Some, but not many, can be a bit "territorial".

As regards where to stay, all I can say is that there are loads of cycle paths in France, just go to the local Information or Marie and they will have free maps. Have a look at the "Aires de Camping" here http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm they are used by many of us on here. They are everywhere and are either cheap or free. It might not be very warm in Jan/Feb and snow is possible so you will need some warm clothes.

Hope it helps.

H

Off to France tommorow.

Hi you may find this site of some use

http://www.eutouring.com/french_campsites_open_all_year/campsites_open_all_year.html

With respect to dogs in France you should have no problems what so ever. The French are not so anul about dogs as our none dog lovers here, just be sensible as I am sure you are when visiting in the UK.

Don't worry and have a great time.

Roy

One point of general interest to mention is that, because each country can decide its own "Dangerous dogs" laws, the list of what constitutes a dangerous dog can/does vary, country by country I think.

Here in Spain for example, Staffordshire bull terriers are included as "potentially dangerous dogs" under our regulations, and are thus subject to the muzzling whenever out in public rules....but as far as I can remember, I don't think they're on the list in the UK.

So, if you've got a dog that might be "dodgy" in another European country, you might want to Google for the rules in that country before you visit with it.

Hi

We are heading to Spain in a few weeks with our two border terriers and are also looking for dog friendly sites with cycling.....we can let you know how we get on.

We know some good french sites, depending on your route south......have you got a route in mind?..... where will you be crossing the channel?

Peter

crbtaylor - 2012-09-09 8:30 PM

We would like to become snowbirds and visit Spain and Portugal, travelling via France. Our requirements for sites are quite specific but not set in Stone! As I am partially sighted my wife is the sole driver but we like our bikes. I generally only cycle off road or very quiet roads. We would like a site close to the beach, near cycle paths that allow dogs in January/February. If anyone can recommend somewhere it would be appreciated. Also the law on dogs, do they have to be on leads at all times? Our dog is very well trained and runs along side our bikes without a harness without any problems. Would this be an offence abroad?

Lots of questions but few answers!!!

Hi - we have travelled extensively in France, also visited Germany and Switzerland with our dog(s) but spent three months last winter in Spain for the first time. As it was our first time we booked into the site at La Manga (Caravanning La Manga) in Murcia where we enjoyed lovely winter weather. It is quite a large site but has good facilities including a supermarket and direct access to the beach. It is possible to cycle to many local villages/towns and either way along the beach and along the Mar Menor. It is dog friendly too.

If you google Caravanning La Manga there is lots of information and pictures.

This year we are planning on visiting further south around the Malaga area and perhaps into the Algarve but have not booked any sites as most appear to have capacity and if one is fuyll another will have spaces.

Good luck

David

CRB....

We are heading through the tunnel, then travel south close to Rouen, orleans, limoges, perigeux, staying on aires, avoiding the peages, then to the coast near Bordeaux, then south to spain, probably turn right for Finisterre and Portugal, then S. Spain.

Plan to hit Bordeaux around second week October...apparently there is a wine festival around then.

Peter

• 1 month later...
peter21 - 2012-10-21 5:59 PM

Hi

we are now in S spain and have found a few good dog/cycle sites en route, notably La Thouet, in the Loire valley.

It is all on our blog www.peterandnia.com if you want to see where we have stayed.

Peter

Peter link does not work! also tried peterandria.com

Archived