Wiring up solar panel

WildBill

I have been looking into getting a solar panel fitted and have noticed that I have an input and fuse etc into my control box for a solar panel. I have made enquiries and have been told that by wiring in a solar panel through my control box, I do not require a regulator as the box will regulate the charge etc.

Can anyone confirm this?

TVM

Thanks for a prompt reply Clive, my box is blue and just has Schaudt written on it. That is all I know as I have not got the manual for the van from the dealer yet. Reason being that the motorhome is a new model this year and the book has not yet been translated and sent on from Pilote!!!

Chances are you need the LR1218 ( see http://www.schaudt-gmbh.de/pdf/oeffentlich/katalog/Produktuebersicht_GB_2012.pdf ) which is for use with the EBL208 S charging system.

You really cannot get a definitive answer if you cannot supply details like model numbers.

It's like asking what size tyres do I need on my car - its a Ford and is Blue. For all we know Schaudt may make a special unit for Pilote which incudes a solar regulator although is very unlikely. You can probably use other solar regulators to connect to the Schaudt unit but I would be wary as Schaudt units can be tempermental and if something fails they could blame your regulator. Hence why the LR1218 is advisable. The other thing you are best to check out is if the unit has overvolt protection, some have it built in I believe and if not you are advised to check if an OVP 01 is fitted and if not have one fitted. You can probably insist your dealer fits FOC as it has been pretty well established over the years if overvoltage protection is not fitted to Schaudt systems they have a habit of failing - not fit for purpose would be my attitude.

Hope this helps.

If you go here http://www.schaudt-gmbh.de/de/service-support/downloads.php you can search for EBL 271 ( lower seach box) and you will find a pdf instruction manual in english. Click on it and it goes into your download box on right. Click on download and it asks you for email address and will be sent to your email address. If you have problems PM me your email addy and I will send you a copy.

Or take the easy option and ask schaudt for it.

Check out the excellent link from Lenny.

I have just self fitted an LR1218 which I bought from A & N Mobile Caravan Services.

www.AandNcaravanservices.co.uk

They are cheaper than other places and deliver promptly. If you need any advice over the phone, they are excellent in this area as well.

Just to highlight a problem I had when self fitting. ALWAYS fit the solar connection cable to the LR1218 FIRST before plugging in to the EBL. That way you do not pop the solar fuse on the EBL. :$ Thankfully A & N sorted my problem out over the phone at 5 pm on a Saturday evening. I cannot praise them enough and I have posted their details in the 'Goodies and Goonies' thread. It has already been backed up by Rupert123.

Archived