Electrical queries

Mel B

A couple of questions regarding the electrics in the van:

1. Is it possible ot alter the cab 12v sockets so that they are live when the ignition is off?

2. Is it possible to alter the control panel so that it stays live when the ignition is on (ie driving)?

In our previous Chausson Flash 04 on a Ford both of the above was the 'norm' but on the Autocruise Accent the opposite is true - it's driving us nuts having to continually turn on the control panel and then the water pump to go to the loo etc.

I would have thought the best option on the cab sockets is to rewire them to the leisure battery should be easy job for a girl with plenty of time on her hands (lol).

Probably be best to have a word with the control panel manufacture can't really offer advice without seeing a circuit diagram of the unit. I would expect there is a relay in the unit that could be by-passed.

1. Find the relevant fuse for the 'cigarette lighter' in the fusebox and unplug the spade terminal, find a permanent live and re attach. Most 12 volt outlets are on a fuse of their own because of the current draw.

2. There should be a simple switching relay to disconnect the supply to the panel when the ignition is on, you need to bypass or disconnect this.

The hab electrics are turned off when the engine runs under the dubious excuse that it might harm the delicate engine electronics or the hab electrics if the two are allowed to intermingle their juices!!

It probably won't but do be aware of any potential loss of warranty cover if it did?

By the way Mel - how does it drive? Is it quieter, smoother, less rattly, better ride than your average coachbuilt as we too are starting to think the previously unthinkable about a downsize so that Dot can drive it more easily?

Mel

Best place to seek advice would be Sargents who make & fit the control panel.

Have a look on the Swift-talk website for their contact info. They regularly respond directly to posts on there in Motorhomes - Technical.

They are also virtually on your doorstep & so easy to pop round if necessary.

Thanks guys.

Rich - hubby has done most of the driving (can't seem to pry him out of the driver's seat!) and says it is a doddle compared to a coachbuilt as visibility is better and the reduced width makes it less stressful especially since the brilliant mirrors make rearward vision much clearer down the sides. He says it's a lot more car-like than the Ford (which he also liked a lot) with much less resistance on the steering so he doesn't get shoulder ache either. The seats are very comfy too and the squabs are a bit longer so give ore support under the legs.

The ride is very good - you may recall that we had rear air-assisted suspension on the Chausson (I'd already told him that there's no way I was going to pay for it for a 3rd vehicle!) and the Accent doesn't need it - it is a little more firm but that's to be expected as it is so new, it should settle down nicely once we get a few more miles on it but I expect it will always be a bit more taught than a coachbuilt which is no bad thing!

It is very comfy though and we don't have anything like the 'sway' you get with a coachbuilt - it does however seem a little bit more 'bouncy' due to the wheels being virtually in all the corners as it is on the longer wheelbase, but then we don't get the 'bottom waggle' you do with coachbuilts.

As for noise - yes it is a lot quieter than a coachbuilt, only a couple of rattles (a cupboard door and lift up kitchen worktop flap) to sort out. We found with the coachbuilt that we got a lot of wind noise even though it was a low profile, especially from the rear habitation door and 'clunks' and 'bangs' came through as you travelled, especially when driving over 'cats eyes', ridges in the road, joints in bridges etc - these really used to upset Lily a lot when travelling as I've mentioned before. In the Accent although she was jittery when we travelled down to Shepton she wasn't 'panicking' and as we travelled around during the week she just settled down and has been a lot, lot better - we even went on the motorway a couple of times and she didn't 'panic' at all which was amazing - and yes she DID know we were going on them as she appears to recognise the blue motorway signs as she had a bit of a 'shuffle' each time she saw one before we had even gone ON them but that was all (we're careful not to trigger her by reacting ourselves!). In fact she laid in her basket and went to sleep ... totally unheard of previously!!!! :-D

We have also noticed differences in the noise when living in it too - despite them not supposedly being as well insulated/soundproofed as a coachbuilt we've actually found it much quieter - when it rained we expected it to sound like a 'tin can' but it wasn't, it was less 'hollow' and 'thumpy' than a coachbuilt! Also not so much outside noise filters in which means a better sleep and less things to disturb the dogs too.

We haven't found storage an issue at all either - we bought loads of stuff from the camper show and car boots (don't we always!) and it swallowed it all.

I was concerned about the size of the fridge but I bought another door shelf/tray at the show and it is surprising just how much it will take, plus the freezer is actually bigger than our old one! Despite it only have 2 rings on the hob, cooking wasn't an issue either - especially since I've got my pressure cooker which makes things a lot easier.

Another thing which is a compromise is the fresh water tank as it is only 66 litres but we found we lasted 4 days on it although we didn't run it to being empty just to when the warning light came on so we might have got to 5 days (like you we don't take many showers! :D ).

We are more than likely going to sell the 'normal' car now that we've got the PVC and the Smart as they should do us nicely ... also one of the scooters can go too - unsure whether to still keep one of them though - as the Smart is so much fun to drive I know which I'll choose to take out to the shops etc but hubby does like his scooter!!! :$

Overall we're are very, very pleased with it and couldn't ask for anything better for us. I just wish we'd had the 'courage' to do it years ago!

If you've any questions which you think are just too silly to ask - just ask anyway (I'm used to silly questions anyway!) and I'll try to answer them as best I can. We have talked to a lot of people about PVCs over the last few years so although we've only just got one, we think we know a bit about the ins and outs of having one.

Tracker - 2012-09-14 7:46 PM

The hab electrics are turned off when the engine runs under the dubious excuse that it might harm the delicate engine electronics or the hab electrics if the two are allowed to intermingle their juices!!...

Fitting a relay that isolates the 12V habitation elements when the vehicle's motor is started is (as far as I'm aware) peculiar to UK motorhome manufacturers and goes back to the mid-1990s when there was concern over potential EMC (Electro-Magnetic Compatibility) conflicts. I recall discussing it with Dave Thomas a long time ago when he was designing Auto-Trail models and he was sceptical then that the policy had genuine merit. Nevertheless, UK motorhome manufacturers still insist on doing it.

One thing it does do, of course, is minimise the risk that a motorhome's critical electrical systems might be compromised by an enthusiastic DIYer having installed some weird and wonderful 12V equipment in the habitation area.

......my own (rather cynical) view is that the fitting of an EMC relay is a cheap, and rather "sledgehammer" approach to the original issue of EMC conformity.

The continentals seem to have generally taken the approach of fitting only items that conform to the EMC directives, thereby bypassing the requirement to isolate them when mobile.

(If you look at your control panel/charger, it is probably CBE manufactured, and certified, likewise your fridge may well be Dometic, and certified - though, of course, elements of these at least are required when mobile anyway).

It could be a legacy of the market (many more UK-manufactured motorhomes now using the same continental components, but there was more of home-market inclusion previously, and possibly the larger continental market gave earlier scope for testing and certification).

It would be interesting to know just what uncertified components the continuing use of an EMC relay is intended to protect against (given the continental builders still don't deem it necessary).

You,ll soon get used to switching your panel on before using the loo when you stop Mell we have never known otherwise, I would be wary of touching the electrics while still under warranty! when John mentioned an extra power plug I said our eldest could fit one as he is an electrician the sales man said it might effect warranty :-S £100 is ridiculous !!

About the oven lid I use a square of bubble wrap under my lid its easily rolled up and stored and is effective.

The short answer to Mels questions in YES in both cases.

The previous respondents suggestion (Robin the Hood) that manufacturers were taking the easy way out is correct.

European manufacturers do not do this. But then again they have a bigger market to spread the testing costs over.

C.

Archived