ICE (not "ice") in Autotrail Mohican

Tony Norton

Hi All,

The Clarion Radio/CD player fitted in our recently acquired 1999 Mohican had a non-functional CD player, so it was replaced by a Kenwood KDC-241. This having been passed on to us by a family member as it was surplus to their requirements.

I have a problem with the tuning of this set. I have worked out the tuning systems, both manual and auto for FM and AM, and can find and set (press and hold for 2 secs) the preset buttons. Manually tuning it I can set up BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4, Classic FM and our local Solent. The manual tuning goes up in steps of .05MHz (50KHz) and generally a program is received over a range of of 5 steps, so the middle one was selected in each case. Allowing the system to auto search, it only seems to be able to find Heart, Jack FM and Solent.

Problem is, whether the system has been manually or auto tuned, on selecting a preset station after a minute or so it wanders off on its own accord, apparently looking for better reception, before returning to the original setting. This happens continually at the aforesaid 1 minute or so intervals. >:-( . Very annoying.

AM signals e.g. Radio 4 on long wave, are, as one might expect, rock solid.

The dodgy FM lead me to suspect that we are not getting a particularly strong signal, which leads, in turn, to my suspecting the aerial is at fault. Problem is, where the hell is it? The Ducato handbook that came with the vehicle indicates that it is mounted centrally on the front of the van roof which, of course, no longer exists. I can find no evidence of aerial leads internally and there is only one output from our Status booster, which is the one for the TV.

Naturally I know where the output end of the aerial is, but from there it just disappears into the maze of wiring behind the dash, and I haven't a clue where to find the receiving end.

Can anybody help? Have I perhaps made an incorrect assumption and am doing something wrong on the setup?

TIA for your assistance

Tony N :-(

...it may well be your aerial, but different radios have different modes and sensitivities.

If the previous radio was OK on FM, I would be inclined to look at the various FM set-up options described on page 10 of the manual, here:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/WebFiles/File/uk/download/Instruction%20Manuals/KDC/KDC-W312SAY.pdf

In particular I would ensure that "LO.S" is set to Off, likewise "ATPS", and see if if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then try setting "AF" to Off (though if this resolves the problem, and it isn't simply specific to your area, then it will mean you'll lose RDS station following).

HTH

I had a 2008 Scout on the Fiat X250,the aerial was in the passenger (nearside) mirror housing.

May I suggest you buy the Blaupunkt windscreen aerial

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=blaupunkt+aerial&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=13069920128&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5693475871821440396&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_3a0fbecmg8_b

Robinhood - 2012-09-15 10:49 AM

In particular I would ensure that "LO.S" is set to Off, likewise "ATPS", and see if if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then try setting "AF" to Off (though if this resolves the problem, and it isn't simply specific to your area, then it will mean you'll lose RDS station following).

HTH

Thanks for that "Robinhood". With all 3 options set to "Off" at least I can manually tune all the stations, FM & AM, that I want, and they stay put. If I turn "AF" to "On" it goes on the wander again, which might perhaps be due to poor reception in the position the motorhome is parked.

I intend to try "AF" to "On" next time we go on a trip to see what happens but, having downloaded info on all the frequency bands, at least I know I can re-tune as necessary at different locations.

Thanks again

Tony N

....you're welcome.

It sounds like the signal being received where you are is below this particular radio's threshold for seeking an alternate frequency.

This could be either due to your location, a poor aerial signal, or a combination of the two. I would still suspect the aerial, however.

You can, as you say, check the signal elsewhere on your travels (and turn AF back on, and see if the symptoms return).

I must say, having got used to RDS over the years, the AF (station following) capability is the one feature I would least like to lose.

Archived