Air Assisted Suspension

Tracker

Tracker - 2012-09-16 12:46 PM

Does replacing the solid rubber bump stops with semi air suspension on the rear axle improve or worsen the ride of a coachbuilt motorhome please.

In answer to your specific question, I'm looking at doing the same thing, but for a different main reason. AIUI replacing the bump stops with something more flexible should relieve the problem of 'crashing' over large potholes/bridge joints/speed bumps/etc.

I'm not sure any of the other, claimed, advantages of air assisted springs would be of any great benefit to a 3 year old van and because of this I've been considering an alternative. Timbren rubber suspension will achieve most of what air systems can do without the maintenance issues, except for raising/lowering your back end a couple of inches, and at about half the price of air.

T8LEY - 2012-09-16 5:25 PM

Replacing the bump stops with something more flexible should relieve the problem of 'crashing' over large potholes/bridge joints/speed bumps/etc.

I'm not sure any of the other, claimed, advantages of air assisted springs would be of any great benefit to a 3 year old van and because of this I've been considering an alternative. Timbren rubber suspension will achieve most of what air systems can do without the maintenance issues, except for raising/lowering your back end a couple of inches, and at about half the price of air.

Cheers Trevor - I too am not interested in fancy (aka expensive and complicated!) pump it up or down levelling systems and as very few heavy vehicles pass me on a motorway body sway is not an issue for us, nor is or roll on bends which is also not an issue if you drive sensibly.

The van already sits tail high even fully laden so I don't need to raise it any more and as Timbren will not increase payload it won't suit us, but thanks for the thought as I can see how a better designed more progressive rubber bump stop could absorb more shock than the rock solid Fiat one - whether it does or not - please let us all know!

Our van's rear axle load fully laden is 2150 kg so I need do need to uprate from 2000 to keep the law happy as I don't fancy having to leave 150 kg worth of belongings on the roadside to be allowed to continue my journey - as well as the inevitable fine to help swell the public purse of whatever country we happened to be in if stopped!

Unless of course SWMBO gets her own way and we do downsize???

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2012-09-16 4:59 PM

Tracker - 2012-09-16 2:09 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-16 12:11 PM

Ah..but have you uprated the chassis capacity to carry more load as tracker intends. if just adding air it helps a bit, and it works OK, especially if a poorly balanced van to begin with.

air not a lot of money if you DIY fit, and as long as not expecting a miracle worth a try...

More a case of making legal what we already carry than increasing the payload to carry even more!

As usual Rich a lot of talk from people with no personal experience of this. It will certainly improve the ride of your van, especially on fast roads where you get overtaken a lot. The real benifit though, to us, was the extra 100kg it gave us on the rear axle, this put us well within our weight limits with the scooter on the back. Personally I would not bother just for the ride improvment, our last two vans, both Swift, where fine without it but we needed the extra axle capacity. Not sure what vans Eddie had before his panel van but as they seemed to be both of poor construction and flimsey, his words, perhaps he should buy British next time. (lol) These kits are pretty easy to fit yourself but get one that you can adjust the air to each side easily. We had an electric pump and it was usefull to be able to level the van on site with the air suspension.

I think you need reading glasses... already said I had fitted air to 3 vans. always went for manual as cheap and very easy to pump up manually. and as for your petty sarcasm disguised as wit I will ignore it....

We had air-assisted suspension fitted on our last 2 coachbuilts - Rimor Sailor 645TC (7.14m) and Chausson Flash 04 (5.99m). We found that without doubt it definitely improved the drive/ride on both and reduced the wallowing and bufferting immensely. We had the Air Ride manual system which we could adjust manually (twin valve) with a small hand pump - depending on the loading of the van this meant we could get the optimum pressure for a comfortable ride.

I have a suggestion Rich which may help you finally decide on the course you take: have a good look at all the kit you carry around and reduce it down to what you would be able to carry in a van conversion ... if you could cope with just that amount of kit then you should also be able to cope in your current coachbuilt which would probably bring you within your current axle limits and therefore solve your problem!

We too faced the dilemma you have a couple of years ago when we change to the Chausson - there wer 2 main reasons we changed:

1. We just didn't want to have to accept the restrictions that going over 3500kg brought (our Rimor was capable of being uprated as a paper exercise).

2. We ideally wanted a shorter vehicle to enable us to park etc a bit more easily.

Of the above, the first was certainly the most important as we could have lived with the second.

Think carefully before going down the uprating route, especially at your age! :D

Tracker - 2012-09-16 11:46 AM

The PVC vs CB debate will no doubt rumble on but right now if I can improve the ride and payload I am more inclined to stick with a coachbuilt - at least until the dog dies and leaves us a bit more space for us!

We have 3 dogs in a PVC!!! Two little ones and a hefflump! :D Whilst I love my dogs dearly I must admit it would be nice not to have to carry around quite so much paraphernalia ... 3 dog beds, loads of toys etc!!! At least you only have one!

Thanks Mel - the only flaw in your idea about reducing the coachbuilt clutter to PVC size is that I need the van here to be able to discover just what I can fit in it and what I can't! You never know what you are going to need until you need it!

We went to Germany for 3 weeks without jump leads, mains cables, wheel ramps etc to get the weight closer to 3500kg and a host of tools, kit and bits and pieces that only get used once or twice or never on a trip. We did not miss most of the kit but getting level took a bit of ingenuity at times - like borrowing a couple of bricks from a nearby project to get levelish!

The over 3500 kg restrictions don't bother me unduly in the short/medium term as although the DVLA might consider me 70 in 2014 (if I live that long!) I most certainly do not!

Of greater significance is that Dot is not keen on driving the Cheyenne but seems keen to get her hands on smaller van!

Tracker - 2012-09-16 7:57 PM

Thanks Mel - the only flaw in your idea about reducing the coachbuilt clutter to PVC size is that I need the van here to be able to discover just what I can fit in it and what I can't! You never know what you are going to need until you need it!

To give you an idea of what you can get in, we can store in ours:

2 x Fiamma levellers

1 x free-standing drive-away awning

2 x inflatable canoes (good ones which each measure around 30" x 15" x 8" in their bags), plus 2 x paddles, life jackets, pump, waterproof barrel, etc

2 x chairs, wind break, smaller tables/stools, 12v lights

Drive-away awning, carpet, hammer and pegs etc

Gas BBQ (30" x 15" x 5") and gas stove (canister type) plus spare canisters

2 x electric leads, kettle, hotplate, mini-vacuum, box of tools, 2 x hose pipes, water connectors, funnel

2 x water carriers (20" x 14" x 3")

2 large baskets of food (tins, packets etc), plus tea/coffee/sugar canisters, and a few other bits in upper cupboard and of course the dog food (tins, biscuits, chews)

A pressure cooker, sauce pans, frying pans, collander, salad spinner

The usual mugs, jugs, glasses, plates, chopping boards, loads of cutlery, kitchen utensils, storage tubs, bags etc.

Wire dish drainer (18" x 15" x 4") and large tray

Laptop, tablet pc, cameras, other electrical bits and bobs, loads of books, maps, and other info stuff

Coats, clothes, toiletries ...

... and I'm sure I've forgotten a load and there's still a load of room to spare in ours!!!!

Tracker - 2012-09-16 7:57 PM

Of greater significance is that Dot is not keen on driving the Cheyenne but seems keen to get her hands on smaller van!

Why not see if she wants to go on one of the driving courses run by the CC to give her some confidence?

Guest JudgeMental

Spot on Mel...Add air, but try and live with the payload you have first. Have a good clear out and ask when was the last time i used that or wore that etc..... would never leave levels behind, much rather leave the spare wheel....I presume you have breakdown insurance so why carry contents of garage.

We get all that we carried in the CB in plus spare wheel and full tanks

Oh! Mel..buy a kindle or 2. They free up loads of space.

JudgeMental - 2012-09-16 6:27 PM

rupert123 - 2012-09-16 4:59 PM

Tracker - 2012-09-16 2:09 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-16 12:11 PM

Ah..but have you uprated the chassis capacity to carry more load as tracker intends. if just adding air it helps a bit, and it works OK, especially if a poorly balanced van to begin with.

air not a lot of money if you DIY fit, and as long as not expecting a miracle worth a try...

More a case of making legal what we already carry than increasing the payload to carry even more!

As usual Rich a lot of talk from people with no personal experience of this. It will certainly improve the ride of your van, especially on fast roads where you get overtaken a lot. The real benifit though, to us, was the extra 100kg it gave us on the rear axle, this put us well within our weight limits with the scooter on the back. Personally I would not bother just for the ride improvment, our last two vans, both Swift, where fine without it but we needed the extra axle capacity. Not sure what vans Eddie had before his panel van but as they seemed to be both of poor construction and flimsey, his words, perhaps he should buy British next time. (lol) These kits are pretty easy to fit yourself but get one that you can adjust the air to each side easily. We had an electric pump and it was usefull to be able to level the van on site with the air suspension.

I think you need reading glasses... already said I had fitted air to 3 vans. always went for manual as cheap and very easy to pump up manually. and as for your petty sarcasm disguised as wit I will ignore it....

Sorry about that must have missed it. My remark about no personal experience was not directed at anyone in particular anyway. What sarcasm, you certainly made the comments about poor construction etc. so assume this applied to your own experience with past vans.

JudgeMental - 2012-09-17 7:55 AM

Oh! Mel..buy a kindle or 2. They free up loads of space.

Don't think a Kindle will replace my stuff listed above!!!! I don't take many books but I do take a few mags and lots of puzzle books ... don't think a Kindle has the ability to replace my puzzle books though ... now if it could .... :-D

Archived