Poor service from dealership

donna and daz

[QUOTE]chris - 2006-08-27 8:46 PM David, I think Whaomi is half right in what the dealers resonse is from the manufacturer. I was contacted by someone with a Chausson Allegro and he dealt direct with Chausson and he said it was useless. He finally ordered from a dealer but as he said, Chausson are not the best to reply as I have also found out. On the other hand Renault have replied promptly to my e-mails. Will wait and see response. Chris[/QUOTE]

Hello again Chris.  Hope it wasn't the 'van that made you cut your holiday short, and that you enjoyed yourselves before the dash for home!

I, too, thought you had decided to accept the 3500Kg max weight limit come what may. 

You mention e-mails to Renault.  Have you asked them for their reaction to the possibility of re-plating?  I ask, because my understanding, from Renault Trucks UK, was that this is very unlikely indeed to be possible.  If they confirm that understanding, you may have no option but the try belatedly to reject the vehicle. 

I still think you should contact your local Trading Standards before you go any further.  If what I was told by Renault is confirmed, and if I understood them correctly, the only way to achieve a higher load plating will be to add the maximum permissible loads on the two axles together.  This, I believe, could allow a maximum vehicle weight of 3,800Kg.  However, unlike a normal max weight restriction, there will be no lattitude on how the weight is distributed, and that may prove unsatisfactory in practice. 

For example our van (on a standard Fiat "Camping Car" chassis) has a front axle maximum of 1750Kg, a rear max of 1900Kg (total 3650Kg), but the max permissible weight of the vehicle is 3400Kg.  Thus, with the vehicle at its maximum of 3400Kg, the load on the rear can be anywhere between 1650Kg and 1900Kg and the load on the front between 1500Kg and 1750Kg.  That flexibility makes loading a sensible, practical, possibility, since it is almost impossible to load these vehicles with precision.  In practice the loads vary between front and rear as things are moved round inside, or added or consumed. 

I fear what you may finish up with if the re-plating were carried out, would be a plate that said 3800Kg but, being the total of the two axle maxima, you would find your practical, usable maximum load (so as to avoid accidentally overloading either of the axles), would be in the region of 3550Kg - 3600Kg, which I still think too little.  In short your 'van would be an albatross round you necks!  I'm sorry, but I really do think the writing is now on the wall - in rather large letters!  I think the British version of the Chausson brochure, that David quotes from above, is just plain wrong and may well be unachievable.  It's tough on your supplier because it isn't their error.  However, the fact that he seems to have had no reply from Chausson does suggest they are all keeping their heads down and hoping you'll go away.  If you're still in some doubt, have a look at the Trading Standards website, and see what it says about supply of goods not matching their description, and what are your options.  It is very informative and clear.

Regards

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Result on one point. Today Renault offered me an extension of a year on my warranty so I am really pleased with this but it did take a lot of explaining! I also received a reply from my dealer to say that they are meeting with Chausson at the Dusseldorf show this week and they will get back to me next week. Next instalment in a week I hope? Fingers crossed

Chris, Been away a lot myself, so only just got back to this hugely long thread! If you fail to get anywhere with Chausson, then there is an alternative. You can normally up-plate a vehicle so that the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM, also called MTPLM or GVW) is raised to the sum of the two maximum axle weights. Obviously you cannot go too near this max because to do so without inadvertently overloading one axle or the other would be quite difficult. But it should give some extra capacity. Check the axle weights on your vehicle plate (they may well be different from my own Renault Master van), and, if this is going to help, let me know and I'll give you full details. It may also be possible to upgrade the MAM further with some quite simple additions. I'm not surprised the French versions (reported by Brian) are all plated at 3500 - very many French m'homes are because they've had a 3500 max driving licence limitation (without extra tests) a lot longer than we have. However, the Renault Master range ex-factory has a maximum MAM of 3500, even for the chassis cab models on which your Chausson was built. All Masters (and Vauxhall/Opel Movano and Nissan Interstar versions) are built in Renault's Lyons factory, and UK, French and German brochures all show the same limits. Only the rear wheel drive version (badged Mascot) has a higher MAM.

The Brownhills Group are Europe's largest motorhome retailers. A position that has taken many years of hard work to achieve. Founded in 1972 by Roger Pearce the company has changed much since then, but one thing remains the same to this day. Roger had a vision that motorhomes represented a gateway to a whole new lifestyle. One where people could choose to go where they wanted, when they spend time setting up and packing away. Roger didn't just want to sell motorhomes, he wanted to be a part of the whole experience. Offering full aftersales facilities including habitation and mechanical servicing was just part of Roger's vision. He wanted to offer a true one stop centre where everything the motorhome enthusiast would ever need could be found on site. And he didn't stop there, customer service had to be at the forefront of everything. That's why he opened a customer lounge and restaurant on site so visitors could relax and feel at home. In 1994 Roger launched Club Brownhills, another first - offering total peace of mind plus much more by way of exclusive hospitality at shows and rallies. A dedicated member's magazine and special discounts on servicing, parts and accessories. The Brownhills Group now has a Nationwide Network with centres covering the whole of the UK . All follow the same principles of Roger Pearce's vision. Surely, you can't mean this company!

[QUOTE]hbarnett - 2006-09-01 5:24 PM The Brownhills Group are Europe's largest motorhome retailers. A position that has taken many years of hard work to achieve. Founded in 1972 by Roger Pearce the company has changed much since then, but one thing remains the same to this day. Roger had a vision that motorhomes represented a gateway to a whole new lifestyle. One where people could choose to go where they wanted, when they spend time setting up and packing away. Roger didn't just want to sell motorhomes, he wanted to be a part of the whole experience. Offering full aftersales facilities including habitation and mechanical servicing was just part of Roger's vision. He wanted to offer a true one stop centre where everything the motorhome enthusiast would ever need could be found on site. And he didn't stop there, customer service had to be at the forefront of everything. That's why he opened a customer lounge and restaurant on site so visitors could relax and feel at home. In 1994 Roger launched Club Brownhills, another first - offering total peace of mind plus much more by way of exclusive hospitality at shows and rallies. A dedicated member's magazine and special discounts on servicing, parts and accessories. The Brownhills Group now has a Nationwide Network with centres covering the whole of the UK . All follow the same principles of Roger Pearce's vision. Surely, you can't mean this company![/QUOTE] I bought four vans off Roger over the years and he was a real gent. Once he sold off his interest the company went down hill very fast and has never stopped. Don

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-09-02 8:23 AM Did I miss something here? I could have sworn Chris told us earlier in this thread that Brownhills were NOT the dealer in this case. D.[/QUOTE] Dave, The thread got hijacked, it happens a lot on all motorhome forums/lists. Don PS It's about time your webcam was sorted. :-D

Hi Don, I'm one of the 5500 who got caught out with the Euro1net/BT problem so I have no web service in the workshop at the moment (which is a pain). They are apparently trying to resolve the issue but nothing's likely to change till at least Tuesday 5th. You haven't missed much anyway as work has been very thin on the ground this last couple of weeks. D.

Just to clarify to everyone that my dealer is not Brownhills. Sorry if there is confusion but I am afraid I inadvertently hijacked this posting from Donna AND Daz (SORRY AGAIN GUYS!) As explained earlier, my dealer is a small company and as I have always had good service from them before then I am loath to name them. Unfortunately dealers have to deal with manufacturers and there is a chain reaction and we are all at the end of the line waiting for a response. The other problem is that everything is done over the phone or mail as most of us cannot afford to just pop in as dealers are always some distance away.

My camper went back around a month ago . ( Won't state the obvious) Supposed to be mended remember this is brand new The lot , bought in Jan . April the reversing Camera packs up I don't know the reason Bought an Avic Pioneer after 4 months packed up anyway's they said all done yes it was but it in reverse twice no Camera again ............ Not going al the way back ............Why what are we doing wrong ? :-)

God , Sorry Dave I never saw it see it's Jacks fault....he keep's me busy. You wouldn't want to see me in the flesh . You would get a shock.. seriously don't know about the York show thing yet have mentioned it to hubby . If we get respite will go if not ,not much fun when we need to have a look and a relax with the girl's .... But nice offer and if we go will give you a ring ...should ring everyone else as well & meet up........ :-> Will sit back and wait for the replie's now of oOooooooooh Nooooo LOL (lol)

• 4 months later...
To all who assisted me with my problems here is my update. Renault finally gave me the 2 year warranty from registration date plus a free 3rd yr warranty. After sending me the original plate AGAIN! Chausson finally sent the correct 3800kg plate for my van. All minor snagging has been done. My dealer no longer deals with Chausson due to their lack of customer service and lack of communication. We have also bumped the van and made an insurance claim via Safeguard and my dealer did an excellent repair job for us over the Xmas holidays. I wish to state that dealers sometimes get a bad name but it is not always their fault. Manufacturers need to look at their after sales service . I have always had faith in my dealer but may have to move from them now to comply with warranty. SOME OTHER DEALER MAY HAVE TO take over now. Thank to everyone for the help and I hasten to add that I still love my Chauso Allegro 83 but wish that the French would get their act together. Chris

[QUOTE]chris - 2007-01-18 8:26 PM To all who assisted me with my problems here is my update. Renault finally gave me the 2 year warranty from registration date plus a free 3rd yr warranty.

Well, that's good.  I'm glad my confidence in Renault wasn't misplaced!

After sending me the original plate AGAIN! Chausson finally sent the correct 3800kg plate for my van. All minor snagging has been done.

Excellent.  Well done.  Patience paid off in the end!

My dealer no longer deals with Chausson due to their lack of customer service and lack of communication. We have also bumped the van and made an insurance claim via Safeguard and my dealer did an excellent repair job for us over the Xmas holidays.

Ouch!!  Bad luck!

I wish to state that dealers sometimes get a bad name but it is not always their fault. Manufacturers need to look at their after sales service . I have always had faith in my dealer but may have to move from them now to comply with warranty. SOME OTHER DEALER MAY HAVE TO take over now. Thank to everyone for the help and I hasten to add that I still love my Chauso Allegro 83 but wish that the French would get their act together. Chris[/QUOTE]

Chris

May I just add a couple of cautions re your re-plated van.  So far as I am aware, to get to the 3,800Kg MTPLM, the maximum permissible front, and rear, axle loads have added together. 

Unlike a "normal" MTPLM, therefore, where the total for the two axles is greater than the MTPLM, you have no flexibility within the MTPLM when loading your van. 

Since you'll now have a good payload limit, this shouldn't cause you much problem in practice.  However, because of that lost flexibility, it may be wise to stay below the load limits at either end.  Braking, to a lesser extent accelleration, and even going up, or down, hills causes some weight transfer fore and aft.  If you started out loaded to the limit, one, or other, axle will inevitably be running slightly over its limit for a fair proportion of the time.

One last point.  Tyres.  Make sure to check that those fitted for 3,500Kg are still suitable for 3,800Kg, and also if the pressures quoted in the handbook for (presumably) 3,500Kg remain appropriate for 3,800Kg.

Enjoy your travels.

Archived