France in October

Sparkle

Now we are in a more reliable vehicle... Mr Benn, Bruce and I realised we can actually go a bit further ( and a tad quicker) than we used to venture in our old van Stanley. Therefore we have decided to head back into France in a few weeks time... but wondered what sort of weather we'd encounter in which regions. We've pootled around both the south coast, also the Dordogne region this year, so would welcome suggestions.

We are also meeting up with motorhoming family so somewhere pretty impressive is called for I reckon!!

Suggestions here, not on a postcard please!

The Alpes-Maritime just North of Nice, & Var, just to the West, up to the Gorges of Verdon have some to die for scenery and spectacular cliff top perched towns & villages, eg Ampus, Castellane, Sisteron.

October I guess would be just at the cusp of winter, but I imagine the autumn colours would be stunning. The advantage is that you are never very far from the Riviera, so if the weather did go bad you have a fall back alternative down along the coast.

If not in October, then a good late spring/early summer choice.

Thanks Jeremy, sorry for the delay but got caught up having lunch which started at 1pm and finished just before 10pm... ahhh the Spanish lifestyle!!

One of our lunch guests was telling us about Puy, which is also I think in the region you mentioned, so maybe we have a possible...... I shall have to make the time to actually read my Rough Guide a little more thoroughly to make the most of the area.

:-D

Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-17 8:35 AM

Your guests were possibly referring to the French department Puy-de-Dôme, part of the Auvergne region in mid-France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puy-de-Dôme

Alternatively, there's the Puy du Fou in the Vendee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puy_du_Fou

Hi Derek, I was a couple of large drinks to the worse at his part of the conversation but lentils were mentioned in the same 5 minutes...... so I think you're right with the first one...... :-S

Archived