Do you drain your waste tank as you go along?

Stuwsmith

peter - 2012-09-18 6:34 PM

I think it's a good source of driving amusement, watching in the camera as the biker slews about as he hits the bolognese sauce and bacon fat. (lol)

If you turn up at La Pinguinas in January I shall tell them what you said! AND I shall point you out! >:-(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike B. - 2012-09-18 4:28 PM

antony1969 - 2012-09-18 12:49 PM

Mike , there are worse places than Huddersfield , Chernobyl and Mogadishu have slightly more unemployment .

Chernobyl & Mogadishu have better roads than Mold Green/Waterloo at the moment as well!!!

Add to that Marsh , Oakes , HD1 to HD4 , think ya know what I mean Mike .

Mike B. - 2012-09-18 7:04 PM

peter - 2012-09-18 6:34 PM

I think it's a good source of driving amusement, watching in the camera as the biker slews about as he hits the bolognese sauce and bacon fat. (lol)

If you turn up at La Pinguinas in January I shall tell them what you said! AND I shall point you out! >:-(

In that case I'll have a good tankfull of good old greasy spanish gunge. :D

antony1969 - 2012-09-19 7:02 AM

pelmetman - 2012-09-18 7:19 PM

I always thought Uddersfield was quite well to do :-S.............full of the milk of human kindness :D

Dave your right it is a polite , kind place even the muggers say thankyou once they've beaten and robbed ya

And that includes the Kirklees Council!

I always thought Uddersfield was quite well to do :-S.............full of the milk of human kindness :D

Dave your right it is a polite , kind place even the muggers say thankyou once they've beaten and robbed ya

Sometimes they'll even give you a receipt.

Mike B. - 2012-09-19 1:19 PM

And that includes the Kirklees Council!

C'mon Mike somebody has to pay for all those council jobs and pensions etc , dont be so harsh

crinklystarfish - 2012-09-20 1:57 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-30 10:38 AM I think you mean "unmeasurable" not "immeasurable" ...

I did mean immeasurable.

Got round this discharge problem quite neatly by not fitting a waste water tank at all.

Irksome things.
Might have helped if you'd cross-referred to the May 2012 thread on which I said thathttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27718&start=91I thought for a moment that senility had finally begun to degrade my little grey cells.(And, to make any sort of sense, the word should still have been "unmeasurable".)

Colin Leake - 2012-09-20 10:37 PM

I would add that we do not put greasy water from washing up down the sink so the water we are discharging is free of nasty grease and does not smell.

Neither do we Colin - much better to open the door and chuck it into a hedge or on the grass than leaving it to ferment in the tank!

What do you do with yours?

If only we could use the noxious gases from the fermentation process as an energy source!

Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-20 2:12 PM
crinklystarfish - 2012-09-20 1:57 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-30 10:38 AM I think you mean "unmeasurable" not "immeasurable" ...

I did mean immeasurable.

Got round this discharge problem quite neatly by not fitting a waste water tank at all.

Irksome things.
Might have helped if you'd cross-referred to the May 2012 thread on which I said thathttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27718&start=91I thought for a moment that senility had finally begun to degrade my little grey cells.(And, to make any sort of sense, the word should still have been "unmeasurable".)

Nah, it made immeasurable sense. And are you saying your revered and oft-demonstrated unmeasurable powers of recall don't extend a few months? (smiley / winkey / mischievous emoticon thing).

Have been motorcycling 30 years and cycling even longer and have yet to be troubled even slightly by grey water discharge from a motorhome.

Trying hard to join in and be disgusted; feeling like a fraud. Definitely leaning towards the 'enough to worry about already without inventing stuff as well' camp.

Surely, most folks use a detergent to wash dishes etc. Does that not interfere with the molecular structure of grease, in such a way as to reduce its greasy impact on the environment ?

If you accept that as being an accurate purpose for use of detergent, then what is the fuss about ?

Waste water from dish washing, or vegetable washing cannot be any more contaminating than the run off from rain washed vehicles undersides deposited on the ground.

Wingpete - 2012-09-21 12:04 PM

Surely, most folks use a detergent to wash dishes etc. Does that not interfere with the molecular structure of grease, in such a way as to reduce its greasy impact on the environment ?

If you accept that as being an accurate purpose for use of detergent, then what is the fuss about ?

Waste water from dish washing, or vegetable washing cannot be any more contaminating than the run off from rain washed vehicles undersides deposited on the ground.

..well..I dare say the "fuss" would arrive,if it was being dribbled on the roads outside YOUR house..or beside the pavements that YOU walk along..or outside YOUR grandkids playground/school etc etc.. ;-)

As I've said before on this topic..I doubt very much that people routinely empty their washing up bowls over their driveways or down the pavemensts outside their own homes.. *-)

..and "Clean" or not,it's how it appears that matters as much as anything....and dumping your "waste" water anywhere other than down a proper disposal point just "appears" selfish and lazy ...

Tracker - 2012-09-20 10:42 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-09-20 10:37 PM

I would add that we do not put greasy water from washing up down the sink so the water we are discharging is free of nasty grease and does not smell.

Neither do we Colin - much better to open the door and chuck it into a hedge or on the grass than leaving it to ferment in the tank!

What do you do with yours?

If only we could use the noxious gases from the fermentation process as an energy source!

Wife takes the washing up bowl and chucks the greasy water down the waste water point on the site. If we have a lot of grease such as on the the girdle plate on the Cadac that's mans work cleaning that and imtake it to the washing up area on the site and use that.

• 1 month later...

Afternoon folks,

The only time that you should dump your grey waste on the Queens highway is after you have been following for mile after ruddy mile agroup of cyclists who have beenavelling two abreast and stopping you from passing , then look in in your mirror and see their faces >:-)

Stuwsmith - 2012-09-16 9:14 PM

Most of my motorhoming takes place in France where unlike in this country, there is no shortage of places to empty waste water and where I have rarely noticed this problem.

Surprised that no posters picked up on the most important comment (bib) in the OP's post.

If facilities cannot (or in the case of UK.....won't) be provided.....what are people expected to do? As long as there are no harmful chemicals in the waste water, there is little difference in emptying off waster water into the nearest grid as that's precisely what everyone who lives in a house does every time they have a bath, shower or do a wash.

The most any waste water tank will have in, besides the water, is washing up liquid. Don't know of anyone who shoves anything else in!

Now if we were talking emptying toilet cassettes out on the road......that certainly is a serious offence.

Bulletguy - 2012-11-06 6:36 PM

Stuwsmith - 2012-09-16 9:14 PM

Most of my motorhoming takes place in France where unlike in this country, there is no shortage of places to empty waste water and where I have rarely noticed this problem.

Surprised that no posters picked up on the most important comment (bib) in the OP's post.

If facilities cannot (or in the case of UK.....won't) be provided.....what are people expected to do? As long as there are no harmful chemicals in the waste water, there is little difference in emptying off waster water into the nearest grid as that's precisely what everyone who lives in a house does every time they have a bath, shower or do a wash.

The most any waste water tank will have in, besides the water, is washing up liquid. Don't know of anyone who shoves anything else in!

Now if we were talking emptying toilet cassettes out on the road......that certainly is a serious offence.

That is not exactly true. A lot of these are for surface water runoff only and may be fed directly into a watercourse of some kind (in rural areas). As a m/homer will be a stranger to the area, he/she will not know this for certain.

I have seen it done a number of times and while it is not the crime of the Century, I would never do it myself. I prefer to chuck it in the hedge. That way it is filtered through the soil where there will be organisms to digest the tastier solid bits. :D

I do not get upset at seeing it done as the risk of harming young fish, insects etc is quite small, every one to their own.

Mike88 - 2012-11-06 2:59 PMDraining your tank while on the move constitutes an unlawful deposit of waste under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Those who do it give motorhomers a bad name.

Does it? Controlled waste? May take some proving. Imagine someone cycle touring who stops for a brew and a sandwich; are we really saying that when they swill their cup out and rinse their crumb-ladened camping-saucer that they are depositing controlled waste on land? Plus there is at least one specific exemption within the spirit of the legislation covering  "any deposits which are small enough or of such a temporary nature that they may be so excluded"

Not sure the EA or other competent authorities will be rushing to prosecute unless there are obvious exacerbating factors. I agree that some may perceive it as anti-social though, which is reason enough to be discreet.

Stuwsmith's original posting complained about the difficulty in distinguishing - presumably on a dry road - between a diesel spillage (a motorcyclist's nightmare) and spillage from a motorhome's waste-water tank. He speculated that deliberately emptying waste tanks while a motorhome was being driven was becoming increasingly common in the UK, and he suggested that the practice was much rarer in France where motorhome 'servicing points' were far more widespread.

Bulletguy asks "If facilities cannot (or in the case of UK.....won't) be provided.....what are people expected to do?" This seems to assume that people can acquire a motorhome and then have a right to expect that facilities be provided to assist with motorhome ownership/operation.

There is in the UK no equivalent to the widespread network of motorhome servicing points that has grown up in France (and, being realistic, there never will be). But, just because motorhome operation is trickier in the UK than in France when it comes 'servicing', this doesn't give motorcaravanners a legitimate excuse to drain their waste-water tanks on to UK roads.

It's academic as to whether the practice is ecologically damaging or not - draining a waste-water tank on to the road can produce a potential hazard for motorcyclists and, as far as I can see, is unjustifiable.

Archived