just bought my 1st caravan

jam151

hi all

im new here so thought i would say hello to everyone.

ive just bought my very 1st caravan a 1990 swift pirouette 4/5 berth, its in excellent condition for its age no damp, leaks etc. i took it out wild camping the 1st day we got it home & stayed the night at a picnic site 10 miles from home, just on battery & gas power, any tips on how long the battery should last doing this will be much apprecieated (85ah) as the kids loved being in the middle of nowhere.ive booked into a caravan club site near home for 2 nights in october just to get the feel of things before we try further afield next year.also tips, suggestions etc. will be much apprecieated here too

hope ive not rambled on to long for my 1st post

regards all

jam :-)

Hi there Jam'..

The 85amp battery in our MH lasts us for well over a week ,when pitched up(off hook-up) on music festival sites..admittedly,there's only the two of us and I do tend to be quite "frugal" with the leccy,when off hook-up..

Bearing in mind the time of the year that's approaching..make sure that you fully get to grips with any "draining down" procedures...water heater/boiler,pipe work,any filters etc.

(..especially if it'll be "laid up" over the colder periods).Even if you do continue to use it,I'd still make sure it's still drained down after each use,as it doesn't take much of a cold snap to push apart some of the push-fit connectors or split some of the smaller plastic components...

(You'll probably get more feedback in the caravan section of the forum tho'... ;-) )

many thanks for that, as i said im new so ill try the caravan section. the red light did come on, on the night we took it away as there were 3 lights on & the water pump was used alot ive since been told just to use water carriers if no hook up as this will save power not using the pump, ive also changed the hallogen lights to led so hopefully that should reduce consumption too

many thank for your advice

jam

Hi Jam

Welcome to the forum, as Pepe says, you will definately get a better reception and a lot more help in the Caravan section.

There's a majority in this section that are so far up themselves, they consider anyone with a caravan or a motorhome older than 3 days old, are beneath their 'standards', but dont let it put you off though.

:D :D

Of cause,It would also depend on how "charged" it was to start with..and how "healthy" the battery is in general...

..I don't know how "valid" the tip is but I've sure I've read on here that it's sometimes worth disconnecting the battery and charging it using a seperate charger..?

(..although it's not something I've ever done..)

When we're off hook-up for any length of time,I tend to revert to "tent camping" mentality...with water from seperate containers/bottles..and .even using an LED lantern if we need lights for extended periods.. :$ *-)

Edit: Donna!?....What CAN you mean?!.... 8-) (lol)

(..and I've just realised I've mentioned "tent camping"!?..There goes any chance of me getting in the "clique" (lol)).

Most of us have been caravanners and tenters so dont worry about asking, I presume your using your fridge on gas? and be Very frugal with lights even though leds, dont have the kids watching the t.v as they do at home as that will soon deplete your battery, and yes I would have large water bottles to use so your not running the pump much and the toilet flush. :-D

Enjoy your caravan my youngest has just bought his first van a 1994 Avondale, we started 48 years ago in a ridge tent :-D there is no better holiday with children I used to take our 4 from when they were in nappies and they loved it.

Guest pelmetman
donna miller - 2012-09-18 4:41 PM

There's a majority in this section that are so far up themselves, they consider anyone with a caravan or a motorhome older than 3 days old, are beneath their 'standards', but dont let it put you off though.

How could you say such a thing Donna 8-)..............I've tried that and it don't reach :-S.......

As for Jam's problem............try a good charging session if it don't last a couple of nights...... bin the battery.........Its knackered ;-)

many thanks for all the replies here since ther subjct seems quite taboo i also started in a tent in a farmers field, its was good fun till evening when the midges came & the temperature dropped to 6 degrees (thats what made me get a caravan) we didnt want to spend too much then find out the kids or us didnt like it hence the 1990 swift allthough the condition it is in it will go for a good few years yet as the previous owners left the skylight open then had to renew the lining as it got soaked so it is a solid dry van now

once again many thanks, ill get myself onto the caravan section unless i win the euro on friday then i will stay here with mt 5th wheel trailer & navara *-) ;-)

thanks jamie

donna miller - 2012-09-18 4:41 PM

Hi Jam

Welcome to the forum, as Pepe says, you will definately get a better reception and a lot more help in the Caravan section.

Quite so and as for campers!

donna miller - 2012-09-18 5:41 PMHi JamWelcome to the forum, as Pepe says, you will definately get a better reception and a lot more help in the Caravan section.There's a majority in this section that are so far up themselves, they consider anyone with a caravan or a motorhome older than 3 days old, are beneath their 'standards', but don't let it put you off though. :D :D

I'm stuck in a 90's time-warp and cant see any reason to change. Bienvenu to the Forum.  Running an older but by no means geriatric caravan is character forming :-)

Archived